Confessions of Truth Despite the Lie

Confessions of Truth Despite the Lie

A Chapter by Scarefrow
"

Genevieve pays a visit to her past. Her and Allen have their moment

"

Not long into the night, Genevieve awoke to chills and pain throughout her body. Despite how she felt she wouldn’t feel any better until the piece of steel was removed. Without hesitation she stuck two of her fingers into the wound and pulled out the steel. As painful as it was, she could feel her strength slowly return. Now it was time to make a decision. Elenore’s confession that she made Demetri aware of her whereabouts placed fear in her heart. If he came, then he would kill Allen and possibly hand her over to his apprentice Samuel, who happens to be in charge of discipline. Despite her reluctance, her only option was to return to Belladonna before the letter arrived. So she covered the wound and wrote a letter to Allen and left it near him. She stepped outside and flew up into the sky. Still in pain she was unable to fly at her normal speed, and though Belladonna was far away, she could still make it before the sun rose.   Allen woke in the morning and found the letter.

Good morning Allen! I am feeling better but I feel the need to visit a doctor.

There is only one doctor I trust and decided to go alone. I know you are 

Worried about me and I assure you I will be fine! I thank you for kindness you

Are an amazing man. It is an honor to have you by my side! I shall return in the

Morning. I suggest you study your scriptures, though it seems you are already

Well versed in that. Adieu my sweet and again don’t worry about me!

-Gennie

Allen was saddened that she would not be joining him on this day but it made all the more excited to see her. He always carried a small bible with him  and spent most of the day studying the scriptures. Genevieve arrived at the entry to tunnels that led to Demetri’s underground palace just outside of Belladonna. It was just before dawn when she cut her hand to make her way into the dark tunnels. Though it had been some time since she had last been here, she never forgot the way through. At the end she entered the main hall that led to the throne rooms and of course the chambers of all the pure-bloods who call this place home. She walked elegantly to where she knew Demetri would be. She opened the large door that led to his throne. Upon a large crystal throne sat the leader of the blood-line and the heir to be lord of all elders. Her brother Demetri Giovanni. His hand was over his face which was bent in sorrow. 

“Does my senses deceive me?”

He lifted his head and brushed his silver hair from his face. His eyes were pale and piercing. A mixture of anger and sadness.

“My dear… beloved sister. My reason for living. The holder of my heart.”

“Brother… It has been too long.”

“Yes… very, very long. And to think… I once thought that of all who dwell here, that you would be the last to betray me.”

“How have I betrayed you?”

“Do not take me for a fool! You run away from my hospitality, hide away from your people and you deny who you are!”

“You expect me to spend an eternity down in this hole? Never able to roam again? Am I your prisoner?”

“No. But I am responsible for your well being.”

“Are you?”

“In my own heart… Yes, I am. The human world is filling with hunters bent on our demise and you wish to roam? Rumors throughout the bloodlines of betrayers. How long before they find you? The sister of Demetri Giovanni, the trophy to a gutter rat!”

Genevieve remained silent for a moment. She loved her brother and understood his anger. Guilt filled her body as she knew that she indeed, was one of these betrayers. As much as she desired to be free from her current existence, she knew that there was no way she could truly be free. Her only true choices were to remain that way or end her life.

“I promise to return, brother. Please just give me two weeks.”

Demetri stood from his throne and glared at Genevieve with bright orange eyes.

“Oh yes. I nearly forgot… I heard about your preoccupation.”

“I’m sorry?”

“Don’t play the fool! Do you plan on bringing him here?”

“...”

“Ahh he doesn’t know does he? Perhaps we’ll hand him over to Samuel. What do you   think my dear?”

“No! Please! I will take care of him! I beg you, let me kill him, and I’ll return home.”

“With his head.”

“Excuse me?”

“You will return home with his head.”

“...Yes. With his head. Promise me you will allow me to do this alone.”

“Of course.”

“Two weeks.”

“Two weeks.”

Demetri dismissed her and she left his throne room. The sun was still shining bright outside so she would have to remain until nightfall. She went to her chambers within the palace dropped upon her bed and wept bitterly. Throughout all the things she thought of, it was thoughts of Allen and the hope that maybe they could run away somewhere where they could not be found, but despite her hopes she realized it would be impossible. Wherever they go, they would be found and Allen would be tortured and eventually killed. The plan now was to return to him and spend two weeks with him, refining his hunting skills and be happy before she inevitably would return back to the underground to rot alongside the creatures she despised. The door opened and Demetri entered the room.

“Sister… you must forgive me.” 

“Why should I?”

“It’s just… since Selene left I’ve been... I don’t want to lose you the way I lost her.”

“You lost her because of your cruelty.”

“I was cruel because I loved her!”

“Listen to yourself Demetri! That is why you wish to keep me here? Cruelty is not love.”

“And how would you know what love is? Because you're involved now, you think you can tell me what love is? Don’t make me laugh.”

“Leave me please.”

 Though angry, Demetri would never hurt Genevieve and left. At nightfall she left the dark tunnels and took flight to Garrison. It was late into the night but when she arrived, to her surprise Allen was waiting for her on the stoop. All her thoughts of worry and sorrow seemed to fade at the sight of him. In his hands he held a bouquet of flowers. Her face glowed as she approached him.

“Are those for me?”

“I would hate to think of anyone else receiving them.”

“My word… Thank you. And for waiting for me. I have never known such kindness.”

“It’s… a bit more than that Genevieve.”

“Your shirt… it’s ripped. Were you hunting?”

“Yes. I felt the need to… but that is besides the point. I can’t hold back anymore… Gennie, the last year of my life has been miserable and before that it was incomplete. But in the last few weeks I have felt… complete. When I saw you in pain and the thought of losing you occupied my mind… what I'm trying to say...is…”

Genevieve's eyes watered and her stomach became tight as she covered his mouth with her hand. She Rested her head on his chest. 

“Allen, before you say more I need to tell you something.”

He looked at her and frowned. His thoughts raced at what she was going to say.

“Yes?”

“I… am…”

“You…”

“I am… needing to leave. I received word that my brother has fallen ill.”

“Ill? How so?”

“He has a sickness, he may be dying and I need to go.”

“...”

He took a step back and thought for a moment. His heart wrenched as if it were breaking. 

“Yes… you must go. I understand. Do you need me to do anything? Just name it.” 

“You’re a fine hunter Allen. That is what I need from you. To hunt, do this for me Allen. I promised to leave in two weeks. We’ll use that time wisely.”   

“Of course. Now come in! I’m sure you need your rest.”

“I do. Thank you.”

They went inside and Genevieve felt the urge to cry again but before she could Allen kissed her cheek.

“Goodnight.”

“Adieu. Oh and if you could play me a song. I need that from you too.”

He nodded and she returned to her room. Allen pulled out his violin and began to play softly. Genevieve danced slowly for a  moment before laying on her bed. In her thoughts she wished he would join her, if only to hold him near and not let go.


Each day seemed to go quickly. They would spend their days reading and she would give a lesson or they would practice swords and shooting. They were in love and both were holding back saying it for the others sake. Allen in his heart was optimistic, often daydreaming about the two spending their lives together. Genevieve though, knew that if that were to be the case then she would have to confess what she really is. There were times where she too would daydream that they would find a way to be together. At night he would play his violin and she would dance and sometimes they would dance, only hearing the music in their heads. When the dance was over they would hold on to each other until someone would break the embrace. On the 14th of April the night came and the moon was full. Genevieve wore a scarlet dress with a black corset. She peered out the window and noticed the full moon. Allen was reading, which made her smile. 

“How about we go out this evening? The night is bright.”

“All nights that you are near are bright.”

“Is that a yes?”    

“That is a yes!”

The two went out and walked about the town walking arm in arm. They came across a festival that was happening in the square. There was music, food and games all around. They played many games and ate food and sweets of all sorts. The music was jovial and they danced with the crowd. At one point she saw Allen dance with a towns woman which stirred a bit of jealousy, so she danced with a gentleman to return it. He too felt jealousy but when they headed back to each other they laughed and danced with each other as well. Afterward they found a man painting simple portraits for paying customers.

“What would you say about having a portrait done Gennie?”

“Oh I don’t think so Allen. I’m not looking my best.”

“Nonsense.”

He then pulled her over to the man. The man had Allen stand while Genevieve sat on a chair. Allen took her hand and held it tight. She became nervous but did not resist him. Though it was a simple gesture, she thought the world of it and allowed herself to feel what she had been denying. They waited there for a time until the man was finished. He handed the portrait to Genevieve who admired it. She could not take her eyes off it and couldn’t help but smile. The truth was she loved him and to see them together with her own eyes made her feel like nothing ever had. The hours grew late and the festival came to an end. Allen and Genevieve continued to walk and laughed as they reminisced about things they had seen throughout. They made it to the edge of the knoll where there was no one in sight.

“Look Gennie... this is where we first met.”

“Aw yes. The lonely and depressed Allen Thomas Slade. Asleep on a bench.”

“On that day I only wanted one thing… and I woke up to see everything I needed.”

“Allen…”

“Yes I know.”

They made their way to a part of the knoll where they would be alone and laid underneath the night sky. For a while they remained silent. She rested on his chest and listened to his heart beating. 

“What is it you dream of Allen?”

“Unfortunately, my dreams have become distorted.” 

“I can see that. But what do you dream for?”

“I’ve always wanted a family of my own. A wife, children. Kind of common I think.” 

“No. That’s beautiful. I think most men desire freedom from those things. Those who  want it I think want it for prestige. You want it because that is what makes you happy.”

“I suppose so. And you? What do you dream of?”

“Like most little girls… I want to live, as they say… happily ever after.”

“And what does that involve?”

“I never really knew. Until now. I think my happily ever after is right in front of me.”

At that moment Allen caught the scent of the perfume she was wearing. He could not hold back anymore and finally said what he had been wanting to say.  

“Genevieve, I confess that I am in love with you. I have never been happier. You are my dream.”

“And you are mine.”

They kissed passionately. Genevieve could no longer deny it. Despite how it would likely end she let herself be in love. After a few moments they made love under the moonlit sky. To them it was the greatest moment of their lives and they wish it would have never ended. They then laid there holding each other in their arms.

“I promise to love you until the end of eternity Gennie. I promise.”



© 2024 Scarefrow


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

31 Views
Added on September 11, 2024
Last Updated on September 11, 2024
Tags: VAMPIRE, ROMANCE


Author

Scarefrow
Scarefrow

NM



Writing
The Visitor The Visitor

A Chapter by Scarefrow


A Year of Hell A Year of Hell

A Chapter by Scarefrow