A Ballroom of Blood

A Ballroom of Blood

A Chapter by Scarefrow
"

faces from the past complicate things

"

“The dirty-bloods try to blend in with the commoners while the pure-bloods live within underground palaces, away from people though they often mingle with humans to identify meals of blood. The pure-bloods don’t usually coexist with the dirty ones as they look down upon them as less than human.”

“Seems a bit cruel.”

“Yes but humans are the same. Are they not?”

“Touché.”

“Though if they join into clans then that would be different. The clans are loyal to the bloodlines, and each elder has his own bloodline of purity.”

“And how does one become like said creatures?”

“Hmmm. Well if you’re bitten and your blood is taken by a dirty-blood then you become one of them. Simple as that.”

“And a pure-blood? It doesn’t work the same?”

“No, not necessarily. There is a ritual involved. They have to choose it.”

It was almost midday and the two had been talking for hours. She would give a short lesson and Allen would follow up with questions. He absorbed as much as he could though it did not seem entirely complicated. As they sat Genevieve could feel her body become weak. Her head was light and hands began to shake. She was in need of blood and even for a moment she considered Allen as a resource. Of course she quickly shook off the notion.

“You’ll have to forgive me, Allen, but I feel ill. I suppose I’ll rest for the rest of the day.”

“Is there anything I can do? I’ll help in any way.”

“No no. No need to burden yourself, rest is all I require. You can head to the knoll and continue to practice. You can help me with that.”

“If you’re certain…”

“I am. Thank you… you are sweet.”

Genevieve returned to her room and rested on her bed. She drifted to sleep and experienced strange dreams. It was rare for her to sleep for long periods of time though this time she awoke to nightfall. She stumbled as she rose from her bed. Slowly opened the door and called to Allen.

“Are you there Allen?”

For a moment she waited for him to call back but she heard nothing. She fixed her hair and stepped out into the night. All around were various patrons about their evening. Though still feeling weak she walked among them, searching for some unsuspecting soul to feast upon. Suddenly something caught her scent. Nearby was another pure-blood. Her nerves caught her and she turned to return home but she was caught in the sight of a familiar face. 

“Miss Giovani! Is that really you?”

“Elenore. It’s good to see you.”

“Where have you been? Your brother is worried sick!”

“I just needed to get away for a time. Breathe a little.”

“Understood miss but your brother is not a pleasant man when he is upset, and he has been upset. Remember when Selene left? The servants never deserved such cruelty.”

“I promise to return soon. I just need a little more time. When do you plan to return?”

“After the fifth. Finnes and I are attending a ball. You should come!”

“A ball? Of humans? I’ll consider it Elenore.”

“For now come with me. I have a person of high end blood set for feeding. We’ll share him!”

Genevieve went along with Elenore and fed. She returned home feeling strong, to find Allen there waiting for her. Happy to know she was fine the two went out and hunted again, killing three half-bloods. The next day they hunted again, killing more of them. Allen’s skills in hunting began to grow. The sun had come out and the rain disappeared for the time being. Unable to step into sunlight she and Allen would leave before dawn and practice in a cave on the edge of town. Using the excuse that he get used to doing such things in the dark. Allen though he felt a bit strange, understood and the two continued to become close. Almost every night he would play a song for her and she would dance or sit and read. While taking an evening walk The two ran into Elenore and her husband Finnes. Genevieve became nervous though she kept her composure. Allen introduced himself and made no mention of their hunting and of course no one mentioned that they as well as Genevieve were undead. The invitation to the ball was again given this time to the both of them. Genevieve accepted and devised a plan. Although she and Elenore were acquaintances, in order to fulfill her goal, she would eventually have to see her die anyhow. Allen was glad just to spend time with her. He knew in his heart that he was falling for her and he longed to tell her though he was not sure how. Genevieve too had fallen as well though she would not admit it to herself yet. Her mind was consumed by him but she knew because of the curse and her unending life, that if she gave in to love that she would have to live with a broken heart until the end of times. 


The night of the ball came. The two had made their plan earlier in the day and were set. This meant telling Allen that the two they had met were in fact pure-bloods. He thought for some time on making sense of it and he thought it better to take her word for it. He was dressed in his finest suit and her in a beautiful rose gold dancing dress. Allen was stunned by the sight of her and he fought the urge to kiss her. They walked arm in arm to the location which was only a few streets over. With her other hand she walked with the Homicida. Allen however was silent and in deep thought. 

“Allen...Are you with us?”

“Yes, yes forgive me Gennie. I’m just thinking. That’s all.”

“Are you nervous?”

“You can say that.”

“After all you have seen so far and this is what you're nervous about?”

“Silly right? Social events were never my strong point.”

She let out a slight laugh. She could feel his heart beating and knew it had to be more than what he was saying. The sudden realization that he felt the same for her had hit. She too began to feel extremely nervous and even felt as though she might cry. They arrived at the ball where all sorts of people of distinction were entering. They entered and a small orchestra was playing music. 

“They are talented. But not quite as talented as you Allen.”

She looked at him in a way no one had ever looked at him. They were in love and afraid to admit it but somehow they knew. There was no denying that the spark was turning to flame. They drank wine and ate what finger foods were available. Genevieve sought out Elenore and Finnes but they had not arrived just yet. 

“No luck. We’ll have to wait, unfortunately.”

“Maybe not so unfortunate.”

“Pardon?”

Suddenly the song Allen would play for Genevieve began. She looked at him tenderly and smiled.

“I made a request. Care to dance?”

Without a word she took his hand and they made their way to the dance floor. They shared their first dance together and though Allen was not the best dancer, it made no difference to her. She enjoyed every second and became lost in his arms. Across the room they danced like neither one of them had danced before. Not perfect in their movements but in the feelings they were sharing, it could not be more perfect. So much so that many people in the room took notice and watched with intrigue and admiration. When the song stopped those who were watching clapped their hands in applause. The two looked around and noticed this and they looked into each other's eyes and said nothing. Allen's hands trembled and he began to move his head closer to Genevieve's. She too began to slowly move closer and closed her eyes. 

“What a lovely display you two!”

Their kiss had been prevented by the sudden appearance of Elenore and Finnes. Genevieve clenched her teeth and sighed in disappointment. Allen too desperately tried to hold on to her, but knew the moment was lost. He let go and shook Finnes hand and kissed Elenore’s hand. Genevieve, still not completely out of euphoria yet gave them both La bise. 

“Indeed we arrived for the fireworks it seems.” Finnes said.

Allen gave him a quick smile.

“You can say that. Though it was only our first dance.”

“You could have fooled me.” Elenore said in what sounded more annoyed than friendly.

“Well Allen, let’s get to the spirits before the politicians arrive, shall we?”

“You two go ahead. Genevieve and I should speak in private for a moment.”

Allen gave Genevieve a worried look. She returned with a genuine smile and a nod. Elenore then pulled her arm and walked towards a room at the far end of the building. She then looked out and checked to see if anyone was around. When she saw that there was nobody, she shut the door behind her. 

“What is the meaning of all this Elenore? Have you gone mad?”

“No. You… have gone completely mad. You’re in love with a human!”

“That’s absurd! You know that is forbidden.”

“And yet here we are. Do you plan on turning him?”

“Never.”

“Then you have gone mad or you’re dull-witted. You say you wanted time… no… you want him… and you betray us all!”

“Hold your tongue Elenore! If Demetri heard you speak such things to his sister…”

“Speaking of Demetri… I have taken the liberty of informing his excellency of your whereabouts. The letter should be arriving any day now.”

Genevieve was speechless. She became overcome with emotion. Deep down, she knew her brother would never hurt her personally, but others would not be as forgiving. 

“And as for your… human… Finnes will make sure that Samuel Augustus has his way. A shame you won’t get a chance to be his w***e.”

Genevieve’s anger grew and her eyes became red with fire. She pounced on Elenore and held her down with all her strength. The fear within her became overbearing and tried to scream but Genevieve forced her hand over mouth and bared her fangs with a loud hiss and bit into her neck. She drank every drop of blood possible until Elenore's body began to wither and turn to ash. Now alone, her eyes turned a dark emerald green, and filled with tears. She placed her hands upon her face and began to weep bitterly. Never before had she felt such sorrow and did nothing to hold back her feelings. 


In the ballroom, Allen sipped wine alongside Finnes. The man engaged in small talk with Allen but became increasingly uncomfortable, the longer Genevieve was gone. Surely he could sense something not right. 

“So… Allen. How did you meet our lovely Genevieve?”

“Just good luck my friend. Very good luck.”

“Haha, modesty gets a man nowhere. Seriously… I would like to know.”

“We met at the knoll. She approached me and we have become good friends since.”

“Hmm. Interesting. And what has she told you?”

Out of the crowd two men stepped towards them. Allen took notice and quickly understood that they too were undead. They stood behind him and Allen forced himself to remain calm. 

“By now I know you understand. My wife and I aren’t exactly from around here. And soon.. You will join us there too. A punishment for what you’ve taken from us.”

“No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and their righteousness is of me, saith the Lord.”

The men stepped back. Allen then pulled  a crucifix from his coat and held it out towards them. 

“Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the Lord, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.”

The men then hissed and bared their fangs towards Allen. Many of the attendees of the ball took notice. Many people gasped in horror, many calling it witchcraft. Allen then pulled a thin silver knife and threw it at Finnes striking his neck, causing him to fall over. The other two circled Allen looking for an opportunity to attack.


Genevieve heard the commotion and forced herself to rise. She found a wooden chair and broke the leg off. Luckily it broke off leaving a sharp long tip. She then made her way back to the ballroom. There she saw the two circling Allen so she ran and stabbed one in the back, wounding him. To Allen’s relief she was fine but Finnes stood to his feet and stabbed Genevieve in the back with the knife. 

“Treacherous w***e.” He whispered in her ear.

He then twisted it, breaking a piece with her as he pulled it out. Allen threw the crucifix at the undead. As he was distracted a group of men held him back. Allen ran over and pulled the stake from the back of the other. Using his foot he rolled him over and stabbed him finishing him as he screeched and fell to his death. Genevieve weakened, tried to pull the Homicida from its sheath but Finnes stepped on her wrist and pulled it himself. She looked up at him and began to breathe heavily. He put the end to her chest but before he could stab her Allen drove the stake through his back causing him to drop the Homicida. Allen quickly picked it up and drove it through his heart. Finnes then spat blood in Allen’s face and too fell to his death. Pulling the Homicida from his chest he went to the last one which was still being held by the group of men. The creature hissed bared his fangs. 

“To the bloody black oblivion I send you foul demon!”

He then stabbed him and the creature died. After a moment the crowd began to applaud. Allen went straight to Genevieve and caressed her hair as she looked into his eyes. He smiled at her and picked her up. One of the men placed the Homicida in the sheath and handed it over to them. Genevieve attempted to walk but was too weak so Allen lifted and carried her home. They didn’t speak and she rested in his arms. They arrived and he placed her upon her bed. He did his best to clean the wound but didn’t know about the broken piece within her.

“Leave me Allen. I wish to rest. Do not worry.”

Though he was concerned, somehow he knew she would be fine. He kissed her  hair and left the room. Once down the stairs he noticed on his side he still held the Homicida. Thoughts of what had happened earlier in the evening filled his head. All doubts he had had were gone. He removed the blade from the sheath and confidently maneuvered as  if he was still fighting. He smirked as he hit the wall.

“The damned curse my name.”

Genevieve stared at the roof as her wound throbbed in pain. Demetri would soon know where she was. Allen’s life was now more at risk than ever before. She feared for him and she knew she would have to get to Demetri before he left. She would have to make a choice and it was harder to think about then she would have ever imagined.



© 2024 Scarefrow


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

28 Views
Added on September 11, 2024
Last Updated on September 11, 2024
Tags: VAMPIRE, ROMANCE


Author

Scarefrow
Scarefrow

NM



Writing
The Visitor The Visitor

A Chapter by Scarefrow


A Year of Hell A Year of Hell

A Chapter by Scarefrow