The Beauty of Music and the Death of a Beast

The Beauty of Music and the Death of a Beast

A Chapter by Scarefrow
"

Music brings them closer together and the first hunt

"

The morning came and Allen was still wide awake. It was finally day three of his sobriety and on this night he would hunt with Genevieve for the first time. This morning the urge for Allen to drink seemed to be disappearing and he hoped to see her soon. He felt something off about her the previous day, almost as if she was worried about something. 

“You have a gift Allen.”

He turned to her and smiled. On this day she only wore a common long skirt. Her hair braided comfortably at her side. Her eyes and lips done with the light purple cosmetic.

“What gift Gennie?”

“You’re music. You play beautifully.”

“You think so?”

“Oh my, yes! You provoke emotion that is otherworldly.”

“Well… I am thankful to you. I’m happy to know it touches you.”

“You have no idea. Would you mind playing while I prepare?”

“Of course my dear.”

Allen retrieved his instrument and thought for a moment. 

“Requests?”

Genevieve smiled playfully and began to think. She tapped her lips for a moment and placed her other hand on her hip. She then began to sway rhythmically. 

“Whatever music this makes you think of.”

Allen watched as she expertly moved around the room. The way she danced left Allen speechless. He then began to play a song that was both playful and worthy of the ballroom. It was beautiful to Genevieve  so she closed her eyes and imagined herself in a large room as many eyes gazed upon her. Her feet and body in perfect synchronization with the music. After what seemed like only minutes, the song stopped and Genevieve froze, hearing silent applause. She took a breath and turned to Allen. 

“It’s been too long.”

“I would never have guessed. You too have a gift I see.”

“I need to prepare. Keep playing and I’ll get our things.”

She then went into a room and began moving things around. Allen continued to play. Every few minutes or so Genevieve would return and place something on the table. Allen didn’t bother asking or even examining the items. He just played just like she had asked him and when the song finished he turned to see Genevieve standing closely with her eyes closed. 

“Are you alright Gennie?”

“...”

“Genevieve?”

“Oh...pardon?”

“Are you alright?”

“Yes! Very much so. Are you talented in archery as well?”

“Not necessarily.”
“Well no need to worry. I will fix that. Here carry this and we shall head to the knoll.”

She handed him a rolled blanket that was a bit heavy but manageable. She placed a coat upon her and led the way. The two said very little as they set for the knoll. The sky was still covered in gray clouds. A distant thunder could be heard as Allen followed her to a spot under some trees. He placed the items on the damp grass and took a deep breath. Genevieve unwrapped the items to reveal a few quivers and bows with silver tipped arrows. After pulling elegant looking leather gloves unto her hands, she picked the bow and an arrow and aimed at a distant tree. She fired and the arrow flew magnificently and hit the tree with a thud. She smiled victoriously and smirked playfully at Allen. He clapped his hands in applause.

“Impressive! You never fail to astound me.”

“Silver tipped arrows my friend. They won’t guarantee that you will kill your prey but…they will weaken them most assuredly.” 

“Silver? Why is that?”

“I can explain that to you all in good time. For now… just know that.” 

“I see. May I?”

“Of course.”

Allen picked up his own bow and arrow and aimed close to where she had shot hers. Despite his best effort he missed completely. He looked at Genevieve who was obviously holding back a laugh. 

“Go on then!”

She let out a burst of laughter as he stood there looking defeated. Despite her best efforts she could not compose herself. Though frustrating for Allen he had no choice but to smile. Allen smirked as he picked up another arrow and let it fly. This time however it hit his target precisely. Though still trying to hold in her laughter she was indeed impressed.

“That’s very… interesting. Perhaps there is hope for you!”

“I’m better under pressure I suppose.”

“So as I was saying the silver arrows likely won’t kill them. You would have to be very precise for that. Only a wooden stake through the heart and sunlight can kill them.”

“That sounds very specific. What about drowning or fire?”

“ Don’t underestimate these creatures, Allen. They possess higher endurance and stamina and they have supernatural abilities. You will always be at a disadvantage… unless they are weakened by silver. If you want to anger them then you can set one on fire as it will burn them and they’ll fuss about but do yourself a favor and carry silver with you always.”

Though Allen had a barrage of questions, he figured it was best to just listen for the time being. For hours they picked targets and practiced their skills. Even hitting birds from a distance. When noon came they went into town and had lunch then returned. 

“Once you have made a name for yourself you’ll have to prevent them from entering whatever quarters you are staying in at the time. Physically they cannot come close to garlic and being cursed they cannot set foot on holy ground and words quoted from the bible will cause them their minds to distort. I’ll explain the whys at another time but just know these basic things.”

“As I hear your words it all seems very scientific and spiritual at the same time. Certainly fascinating.”

“Indeed. Oh and a ring of salt around you can be very powerful. Though if you possess a certain blade you can penetrate any boundary and keep sane while holy words are spoken.”

“A blade?”

“An elder blade. Specifically the Ostium blade. Each of the elders carry a blade of power. I admit that I myself possess one of them.”

“You’ll have to show me.”

“My dear Allen I will show you…”

“In good time.”

“Yes.”

The two shared a look of mutual glee. They returned to the spot at the knoll and continued to practice. As the day grew darker and the thunder became closer, the wind began to blow and Genevieve handed a rapier to Allen. 

“Do you fight?”

“My brother and I often took lessons in fencing.”

“Well…I will be your opponent. And as I said in good time…”

She then pulled her walking stick from the blanket and lifted it by the hilt. Allen looked curiously at it. She then revealed a thin sword after pulling what was actually a sheath away.

“The elder blade once held by the lord of the undead Amadeus Adamos. Taken upon his death. Mors vincit omnia. This is the slayer of pure bloods. The Homicida”

“It is lovely but you said silver will only weaken them.”

“Elder blades are made with blessed steel. To be pierced is death assured. En garde!”

She maneuvered towards Allen to which he caught it with his rapier. The two began to exchange strikes to each other's blades as they seemed to dance in unison. The night came and darkness engulfed the ground. They packed the items and returned to Genevieve’s home. They reminisced about the day's accomplishments. When they arrived Genevieve returned to her room and remained for some hours. At almost midnight she stepped out and had Allen follow her outdoors.

“It’s been three days, Allen. I’m proud of you.”

“Well I have you to thank Gennie.”

“Now the real test. Hold this.”

She handed him a lantern and led him. They walked for a while until they approached a dark alley. She then took a small knife and sliced Allen’s arm. He winced in pain and glared into her eyes.

“Be sure to explain this…”

“Ssshhh. Head in that way and wait. When one approaches you, make sure you hold the lantern above the head. I’ll be watching. Whatever happens… don’t let it bite you.”

He looked at her as she was insane but he trusted her and nodded. She touched his cheek and smiled.

“Go.”

Reluctantly he walked into the alleyway. He began to breathe heavily the further he went in. The rain began to sprinkle down. He stopped when he thought he heard footsteps behind him. He turned around quickly but there was nothing. After a few minutes he heard a male voice call out. 

“Anything I can help you with sir?”

Allen’s heart jumped. He looked around and tried to make out where the voice came from. 

“Did you hear me sir? You seem to be wounded.”

He then thought for a moment and played along.

“Um yes actually. I seemed to have injured my arm. Would you mind helping me?”

“Of course.”

Then into the lantern light a young man approached. He was pale and well dressed though his eyes were dark and swollen. Allen lifted the lantern above his head. 

“Yes, that is a shame. Well I'll have to dress it up. Follow me sir.” 

Allen followed him deeper into the alleyway. Until he suddenly stopped. The man shuffled around for a moment until he pulled a strip of fabric and dabbed the blood from Allen’s arm. He then smelled the blood and shivered. Allen began to panic and tried to back away but the man grabbed his hand and squeezed it.

“What’s your rush kind sir?”

“I think I’ll dress it myself thank you.”

“No no. Dinner has just begun.”

His eyes then turned white and showed two sharp fangs as he hissed and lunged at Allen. He tried to bite his neck but he was able to hold him back. He struggled for a moment but he again lifted the lantern above his head. The creature overpowered him and went for Allen’s neck again. His breath was hot and foul and his teeth then pressed against his skin. He thought he was done until he heard the glass of the lantern shatter. The creature screeched in horror as the kerosene lit him ablaze. Genevieve then appeared with a confident look upon her face.

“Here. Finish him.”

She then handed a wooden stake to him to which Allen swung it against the creature’s head which knocked him to the ground. Allen took the stake and drove it through his heart. Again it screeched. 

“Curse your name!”

It then dropped its head and died. Genevieve put her hand on Allen’s shoulder. He flinched but regained his composure. 

“Now what?”

“We leave him and his body will turn to ash with the morning sun. Come.”

They then walked back to Genevieve’s home. Allen couldn’t help but feel a strange twinge in his stomach. It was almost like a sheet of darkness had fallen on him. 

“You’ll get used to this Allen. But remember to keep your humanity.”

“And what if... “

“Shhh. Just...heed my words. You will be tested.”

Allen felt weak for a moment until Genevieve put her arm within his. He was stunned but then he comforted himself. She rested her head against his arm as they walked like two lovers on an evening stroll. They arrived at the house and returned to her room. Allen then lied on the rug and exhaled deeply. Though he had just killed a creature of the night he could only think of Genevieve and the day they shared that concluded with the two walking arm in arm. In his head he heard a song that danced upon his thoughts. He hummed the melody and drifted to sleep.  Genevieve sat upon her bed and clenched the sheets. She too began to hum a song and smiled with her eyes closed. She had never felt this way about anyone. Whenever she had killed another undead, she would normally feel guilty and sorrowful but this time she felt joy and hope. Allen had truly touched her soul.



© 2024 Scarefrow


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

37 Views
Added on September 11, 2024
Last Updated on September 11, 2024
Tags: VAMPIRE, ROMANCE


Author

Scarefrow
Scarefrow

NM



Writing
The Visitor The Visitor

A Chapter by Scarefrow


A Year of Hell A Year of Hell

A Chapter by Scarefrow