Lines Crossed

Lines Crossed

A Chapter by Scarefrow
"

a face from the past brings about revelation

"

The morning sky was covered in dark clouds. There was likely to be heavy rainfall later in the day. Allen was wide awake in anticipation. He was fond of Genevieve and simply being in her presence was enough to drive the urge to drink away, though he still felt the struggle within him. As he waited he sat and read the morning paper. An article caught his eye that read about locals missing. Young women and men, who went out for the evening and never returned. It seemed as though they simply vanished into thin air. Was there a connection between the undead creatures and these “events”? Suddenly a knock upon the door startled him. He understood that it wasn’t his place to answer so he simply peered out the window and noticed someone of unknown gender and appearance wearing a lavender cloak that covered said person’s face. He became nervous but there seemed to be a fit of temptation within him. He felt drawn to it and as the figure knocked a second time he could not resist, so he walked over and opened the door.  

“Good morning. How may I be of service?”

The figure said nothing and handed a sealed envelope to him. He looked upon it and noticed Genevieve’s name written upon it with a dark red ink. 

“I will hand this to…”

As he looked and spoke, the figure was gone. Allen felt an eerie shiver through his body as he looked around and saw nobody but the local patrons about their day. He closed the door and flinched as Genevieve was standing right behind him. His heart began to beat fast as he let out a slight laugh.

“Is that for me Allen?”

“... Yes! My apologies Gennie, I shouldn’t have… but you see… there was this…”

“There was this?”

“Pay no mind. Here you go!”

Genevieve laughed and took the letter. Her demeanor made Allen feel warm and gleeful. He looked at her and noticed that she was wearing another fine dress, this time all black and she had elegant rings upon almost all her fingers. Allen stared for a moment but turned his face before too long. She looked at the envelope and seemed a bit uneasy. 

“Allen, would you mind running an errand for me?”

“Of course. Anything.”

“Would you go into town and pick up my parcel from the tailor? It’s a few packages and a long walk. Are you willing?”

“Certainly. Where is this tailor?”

“It’s on Denmark St. about an hour west. Do take your time.”

Allen then put on his coat and left the house. Genevieve peered out the window and waited for him to be out of sight. When she was sure that he was gone she opened the letter and read it.

  Hello there Genevieve. You are certainly a hard woman to find.

I hope this letter reaches you well. I was sent to find you some 6

Months ago to no avail. Luckily for me, as you know am very patient 

and I have finally located you. I do hope to see you soon. Now

 I understand when it’s this difficult to find someone as lovely as you,

 It can only be for one reason. You don’t want to be found. There is news

 That I must Discuss with you and it concerns your brother Demetri. Well

 I am certain of the dilemma and if you do not wish to see me then I of all 

On this earth understand but if you are inclined, it would certainly be

A welcomed treat. On the morning of March 22nd at 10 O’clock

I will be waiting under the large oak in Van Marter Park. -GC

Genevieve stood for a moment in silence. She felt as if the weight of the world was now crushing down upon her. To her dismay, her location had been compromised and she hoped that only he knew. This time it seemed she may have no choice. She then started out and headed to Van Marter Park. The dark clouds made the town look dark and gloomy though, this was her preferred weather to walk in. lost in thought with the hopes that she and Allen would take strolls in this weather. Simply thinking about him made her stomach flutter. However, she sighed at the end of it all, it may just be a silly dream. The daydream seemed to make the walk seem like only minutes as she arrived at the park. She lifted her dress slightly so as to not stain it in the fresh grass. There under a large oak tree stood a familiar face and a good friend to her. 

“The stunning Genevieve Giovanni in the flesh!”

“My word Gabriel. How many decades have I rejected you and how many more?”

“In case you haven’t heard, I am officially spoken for.”

“That is in fact pleasant news. Is that all?”

“Now Genevieve, I know the last time we all spoke… wasn’t the best of times but you can’t run forever. How long do you think you can hide? Next time it will be him searching, and if he finds you?”

“He won’t hurt me. I assure you of that.”

“But he may never let you out of Belladonna again. You cannot deny what you are! You cannot deny your bloodline!”

“This life is a curse and you know it! We are damned to feast on the blood of the innocent. To be hated by mankind and for what? To keep our structure pure? Gabriel, I am sorry but I hate it! I wish to end us. It must be done and I know of all our weaknesses.”

“Me as well? And your Brother?”

“Not by my hand.”

“And what of Selene? Would you kill her or have her killed?”

“Selene… I assure you would welcome it… have you seen her?”

“I was sent to find her as well and I found her in Port Alto.”

“What could she possibly be doing in Port Alto?”

“The nightlife is rich. But just like you, she refuses to return though Demetri has called his bloodline back home.”

“And why is that?”

“He has become paranoid. He suspects traitors and obviously he’s not wrong.”

“You’ve always been kind. Perhaps too kind for your own good and I know you love your people. But give me time and I shall return soon just not right now. Tell him you couldn’t find me.”

“Genevieve… I will tell him. I do sense something else in you. What is his name?”

“Pardon?”

“You cannot hide these things from me. There was a time I would have given everything to have your heartbeat for me like this. You are becoming smitten. Are you not?”

“That’s my business Gabriel.”

“Touché my dear. I will return to Belladonna. I will inform Demetri that you could not be found.”

“Thank you. Farewell for now.”

Genevieve turned and returned home. She became saddened knowing that she would have to return home to her brother. She would need to train Allen quickly. She gave herself 30 days, figuring that to be more than enough time to accomplish that fact. After some time Allen returned with her packages. The rain had fallen and clothes had become soaked. 

“Thank you so much Allen!”

“Not a problem at all!”

“It’s a good thing I purchased these considering  the state of your dress. This box is for you.”

“Well… Thank you. You didn’t have to.”

“Just a little something.”

He opened the box to reveal a few sets of new three piece suits and a top hat. He smiled fondly and changed into one.

“Very dashing.” Genevieve said to him. “You clean up well, very well.”

Allen simply smiled at her. She then gave him a few more books to read. 

“Keep up your studies. And how about an afternoon walk?”

“Sounds lovely.”

“Tomorrow night we hunt. Remember?”

“Yes indeed.”

As the day passed the thunder became loud yet the rain slowed to only a light drizzle and the two shared an afternoon walk. Not much was said as they simply enjoyed the comfort of each other's presence. That night as Allen attempted to rest he began to toss and turn with the desire to drink. It was the strongest he had felt and he began to have vivid nightmares. Strange creatures coming to drag him to hell. In the midst of these creatures was Genevieve though her face was distorted and blood fell from her eyes. He found himself running away in fear until he fell into a deep pit. On the ground his body was broken and trapped in darkness. The creatures surrounded and bit at his skin. Despite his screams for help, he was trapped. Until a hand from the heavens reached out and pulled him out and then a loud explosion of thunder awoke him. He looked around in the darkness and he noticed Genevieve standing by the window looking into the rain. 

“Trouble sleeping Allen?”

“Never. Yourself?”

“I don’t sleep all that much anymore. Like I said, this lifestyle does things to you.”

“I see.”

“Are you still willing?”

“I most certainly am. I am no stranger to nightmares.”

She looked at him, smiled and then drifted back to her room. He then stood by the open window alone with his thoughts and his desire. Then he remembered one of the things he had brought with him. A leather bound case that he opened to reveal his one last love that remained with him. His violin that he had purchased when he came into his own finances. He began to play a waltz softly and made his way back to the window. Genevieve listened to the music and closed her eyes. She slowly danced along to it in her room and imagined it was Allen she was dancing with. Suddenly her fear of returning home had slipped away for the time being.



© 2024 Scarefrow


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

40 Views
Added on July 30, 2024
Last Updated on August 14, 2024


Author

Scarefrow
Scarefrow

NM



Writing
The Visitor The Visitor

A Chapter by Scarefrow


A Year of Hell A Year of Hell

A Chapter by Scarefrow