The Scarlet Dress

The Scarlet Dress

A Chapter by Scarefrow
"

A day of learning and discovery.

"

Allen awoke on the rug the next morning. He struggled to his feet, feeling sore and twisted from the night’s “rest”. He took a look around and the home was still dark as if it were still night. He opened the drapes and allowed the sunlight to shine in. The day was bright and there were people all about. He saw children in the street playing their games and men speaking and laughing with each other. This of course brought back painful memories and he suddenly had the urge to drink. He noticed a cabinet at the end of the room and quietly attempted to open it in an attempt to find some more wine. Unfortunately for him it was locked. 

“Blasted thing!” He said louder than he wished.

He sighed and remembered the agreement he and Genevieve had made the previous night. He then paced around the home he was staying in. He found the lavatory and washed his face in the fine porcelain sink. He found a comb and straightened his hair and went and stood at the stoop. He pulled a pipe and some tobacco from his coat and puffed upon it. He began to think deeply. It was certainly going to be a rough few days. After a few minutes of staring into a void, only hearing the voices in his own mind and not of the children playing and friendly conversation all around. He finally snapped out of it when he heard Genevieve call to him.

“Would you mind shutting the drapes? In this line of work, we need to keep as low a profile as necessary.”

Allen didn’t respond but he did in fact close them for her. He stood in the living room and wondered what he should do. Suddenly he heard the stairs creak and when he looked up he saw Genevieve in a stunning scarlet dress. Allen was quite taken back by the sight of her. 

“My word Allen, have you seen a ghost?” She said playfully.

“Well...  I certainly hope not. What’s the occasion?”

“I don’t need an occasion. I always like to look my best. Especially in good company.”

Allen smiled as his cheeks blushed. He wasn’t exactly sure how to respond or if he should even complement her but indeed he knew she was ravishing.

“No shame in that. Your home is quite lovely.”

“My home? Oh… I see.”

“No no! Well… you… uh.. not quite… as lovely as you, Genevieve.”

“Oh don’t be silly. I only tease. And yes, I'm quite proud of this place.”

Genevieve began to boil a kettle of water. She pulled out two tea cups and placed them upon a table. She then cut a lemon and placed the slices in the cups and poured the now hot water into them and prepared tea. After she handed Allen his cup, she pulled a few large books from a shelf and placed them on the table.

“Since you have plenty of time before we begin. Then I suggest you read up upon the subject matter. These texts should do the part. Take your time Allen. Ah! Allow me to pull you a chair.”

Allen drank the tea and began to read. Genevieve took a seat as well and began to read herself. The book Allen read consisted of encounters with supernatural things. Allen finished the book just after noon. Genevieve prepared the two of them a good lunch and Allen ate happily with her. 

“So Miss Gillette… May I ask you a question?”

“First allow me to ask you not to refer to me as Miss or by my surname. It’s Genevieve.”

“Well How about a shorter name? Like G.G. or Vieve.”

“I do in fact have a friend who calls me Vieve. That will stay between us.”

“A friend you say?”

“Yes. and if you find me attractive… wait until you see her.”

“I doubt that Gennie.”

She smiled at Allen in a way that caused Allen to grin unlike he ever had and even gave a slight laugh. The two shared a moment of eye contact that the two had never experienced before. It was strangely personal and though Genevieve put her head down Allen continued to look at her. His stomach began to feel as though it was shaking. Genevieve herself felt full of glee. She felt like a young girl again and couldn’t quite explain it. As the day passed Allen continued to read though much of it was a blur. He desired for liquor but his desire to avenge his family was just a bit stronger. Now it seemed that it was more to make Genevieve happy but regardless of the reason, it had not even been a day and it felt like an eternity. Still he endured and he and Genevieve had dinner in which again they conversated as if they knew each other for years. Every so often she would look at him as if she could hear his heartbeat. At least that's what it seemed like. Allen would sometimes slip and let her see him gaze at her. He hoped it wasn’t making her uncomfortable but still he wondered how she felt about him. The sun set and Allen noticed her as she went into the darkness of night. He followed her and noticed her staring into the moon which was full and almost red and in her hand was a walking stick that seemed to have the hilt of a sword. He stood by her side and looked into the moon alongside her.

“Good evening Gennie.”

She smiled and chuckled slightly.

“And why is it good? Don’t answer that.”

“I won’t. The moon at least looks good.”

“I love the moon. It’s magnificent in its beauty. Especially when it's full.”

“I agree. I would often look at it with wonder in my younger days.”

“I am surprised by all that we have in common.”

“Yes indeed it’s quite refreshing. I haven’t shared that with anyone since my brother.”

“You miss him? I miss my brother as well.”

“Why are you here then? If he’s all you have.”

“He leads a… strange life. One I no longer wish to be a part of.”

“Which is? If you don’t mind me asking.”

“I mind Allen. Very much so.”

“Understood. But if… you ever want to speak of it. I am here.”

“I believe you Allen. I believe you.”

There was a moment of silence between the two of them. While he was looking into the moon she turned her eyes to him and smiled. Suddenly on the other side of the street a woman passed by. She was dressed down and had cleavage accentuated. Genevieve looked at her and smirked.

“That girl… across the way there. She’s one of them.”

“Really? How do you know?”

“The paleness of her skin. The shade of her eyes. The way she breathes.”

“The way she breathes?”

“If you look close enough. She is a dirty-blood. Many of them walk the night. It's how they feed.”

“What is a dirty-blood?” 

“You will learn Allen. Let’s get through the next two days. And you will learn. On the third day we’ll hunt.”

Allen said nothing as the two continued to look into the moon. They stood there and enjoyed the simplicity of each other's presence. It was all new to the both of them and they were joyful and at peace for that moment in time.



© 2024 Scarefrow


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

38 Views
Added on July 30, 2024
Last Updated on August 14, 2024


Author

Scarefrow
Scarefrow

NM



Writing
The Visitor The Visitor

A Chapter by Scarefrow


A Year of Hell A Year of Hell

A Chapter by Scarefrow