A Year of Hell

A Year of Hell

A Chapter by Scarefrow
"

The event takes it's toll.

"

Allen stood at the resting place of his Brother. He watched with sorrow as his casket was lowered into the ground. Even more sorrowful was knowing that his parents had somehow survived the incident, and not deemed themselves worthy to attend their own son’s funeral. He said his goodbyes and returned to his home. Days passed by slowly for weeks. Being the chief detective, he was responsible for the case of his murdered brother. Being there, he tried his best to convince people that an undead creature had murdered his brother and turned his parents into the same creatures. But Allen had seen it with his own eyes and he did his best with external sources yet not much was available. Though he had heard rumors of these things, none were credible. He began to fall into depression. His closest friend and Brother was dead, his credibility was being lost. He had no one to talk to and soon he found himself drinking heavily at night. He would wake up and return to work and investigate all that he could and then return home and drink. Though no one saw him as he would only do it in the confines of his own home. He had no choice but to visit the home of parents often which only led to further sadness. For 8 months, that was the clockwork of his life. Before the incident he had been known as a talented violinist who often performed at events and sometimes in concert halls but during this time he had not touched his beloved instrument. It all boiled over on a cold November day. He felt the need to get out into the world and actually do something. He took a walk through town and enjoyed the sights. He had noticed a few things that had changed in time and he enjoyed being out in the open air. Then the urge came and the sorrow overwhelmed him. He looked around town until he found a pub. He went in and sat upon the bar and began to drink, though he contained himself to an extent. Soon a man sat close to him who Allen recognized as a fellow detective in his agency named David. The two didn’t speak much other than a small greeting. Allen began to feel the alcohol take his body. Soon David was joined by a few other men and they began to become loud and rowdy. Allen sat there contemplating leaving but his urge to keep drinking was stronger, so he stayed. Then he overheard the conversation which set him over the edge.

“Yeah the man has lost his mind! He says his Brother was killed by the undead!”

“That is insane. His Brother probably just didn’t want to deal with his lunacy anymore.”

“Likely offed himself!”

“And listen to this! He says his Mother and Father are undead too!

A burst of laughter came from the crowd. Allen’s temper began to arise until finally he picked up a full glass of whiskey and interrupted the small group.

If you gentlemen aren’t careful, you may find yourself on some creature's dinner plate if you keep speaking of such things in public.”

“Ha! You sir look as though you already hang in chains. You got death’s head upon a mop stick do ya’?”

“I heard that you are quite the blunderbuss but from your wife I hear you’re more of a lobcock.”

David stepped up to Allen and stared angrily into his eyes. Allen though was unfazed and smashed the glass into his head. He was knocked out cold and the other men attempted to attack Allen though he held his own and brawled with them for a time. Allen stumbled around and was at a disadvantage for a moment until he was able to punch one of the men in the temple. He then fell to the ground and Allen was able to regain his balance. The other man and him exchanged blows until Allen got the better of him and won the fight. A crowd was gathered around and Allen swiftly left the establishment. He began to feel the pain from his injuries as he walked in no particular direction. He walked for a while until he passed by his parents home. Feeling the need to sit for a moment. He walked inside and found and lit the candles inside. Still barely touched from that night he looked around and saw Abel’s birthday gifts scattered on the floor. He picked up the gift he had given him and stared at it. He began to cry in frustration. 

“Damn the b*****d who took you from this world Abel! I promise to you I will rid the world of these vile creatures! They will rue the day they took my family from me and they will fear me!”

Allen wondered if the words were full of truth or just words from his drunkenness. He then opened the gift to reveal an overcoat. Abel had mentioned how much he wanted this specific coat but now he would never get a chance to wear it. He then decided to wear it for as long as it would last as a way of carrying Abel with him. He returned to his home and rested. The next day he visited a library and checked out any book he could find on the supernatural though information was scarce. For the next four months he studied all he could on the matter. He still struggled with alcohol  though he was able to control it more than before. One evening when returning home he noticed a letter on his door.


Hello Allen.  I have received news of the incident with your family last year. Please accept my condolences. I am sure by now you know that it was not by normal means that they were taken. Rumors are that you have taken an interest in the ways of the unnatural, well I too am well versed in some things that may interest you. I am looking to train someone in the art of hunting. The game in question would be that of the undead. I know this may sound strange, but as you may have experienced, there are not many people in the world that actually believe in these things. You and I have both had first hand experiences in these things and that helps on my quest to rid the world of these beings. I currently reside in Garrison on 447 Hampton Road and like those who do hunt the undead I am best found after dark and I suggest you learn to live that way as well. I look forward to working with you detective Slade! 


There was no name and Allen wondered if it was a joke. But he sat and reread the letter a few times and thought about the previous year. He figured how much more could he lose? Not much and if it turns out to be fraudulent then at least he left his home for a while. He resigned from his position and visited Abel’s grave one last time.

“Today I begin my quest Brother. I will not let you down. I promise and I always keep my promises.”

He then found passage and traveled out to Garrison. The hunter Allen Thomas Slade was about to be born.



© 2024 Scarefrow


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

43 Views
Added on July 29, 2024
Last Updated on August 14, 2024