The Visitor

The Visitor

A Chapter by Scarefrow
"

A family gathering takes a turn

"

Allen Thomas Slade was a detective for a town called New Vivian. Though he was young, his mind was keen and his attentiveness to his research made him a valued asset to the town. Sometimes his work was tedious and worrisome, he had his family to help put his mind at ease. His Father Amos was a carpenter and a fine one at that. His Mother Celeste was a housewife and the most loving Mother anyone could ever ask for. And of course his Brother Abel, who was his best friend and the only one that Allen ever truly trusted. It just so happens that on this particular day is Abel’s 18th birthday, s o Allen  headed over to his family's home for a celebration. Allen had on his best suit and top hat. Wrapped in fine paper was the gift he had purchased for him, and he was surely proud of himself. Though it was now officially spring, the sun still set early and the night was dark. As he traveled the familiar road, something felt strange to him. He constantly turned his back to see if someone was following. He heard no footsteps yet there was something lurking in the darkness. Finally he arrived at their home and he knocked on the door. His Father was the one to greet him and as Allen expected, he used the same joke as he always does when he visits.

“We’ve done nothing wrong officer!” Amos said with his hands over his head.

Allen smiled fondly and embraced his father.

“Good one! First I have heard of it.”

They shared a laugh as his Mother came and embraced him as well.

“How are you Mother?”

“Oh Allen don’t worry about me, you look as though you haven’t eaten in weeks!”

“No I have eaten Mother, it’s just not the same.”

She smiled and kissed his cheek. He then took his hat off and placed it on the finely carved hat stand in the corner. Another fine creation by his Father. Then to Allen’s happiness, his Brother Abel Stepped into the room.

“Who allowed the swine in?” Abel said jokingly.

“Abel don’t speak of your Brother in such a way!”

“No worries Mother! We all know who was rescued from the farm, and it wasn’t I!” Allen responded with a smile. He then walked up to Abel and handed him his gift.

“Thank you very much Allen.”

Allen nodded and took a seat. The family spoke for a while until his Mother returned to the stove and continued on with the meal. 

“How is the detective life Allen?” His Father asked.

“It has its days. Some are better than others.” Allen responded.

“Don’t be coy Allen. Share the news.” Abel said suddenly.

“What news Allen?” Amos spoke curiously.

“It’s nothing.” Allen said, trying to hold back.

“No secrets Allen. Please share with me, son.”

Allen knew he couldn’t keep it a secret for long. Though it wasn’t too much of a big deal. 

“Well… I was promoted to chief detective yesterday.”

“Congratulations dear boy! I am proud of you. Did you hear that Celeste? Our Son is the chief of his agency!”

“My son… Chief? Yes I am so so proud of you!”

Allen felt a great deal of pride in hearing them speak such pleasantries but being the humble person that he was he knew to change the subject.

“We are here to celebrate Abel, not myself!”

“Yes Of course! My two sons have made me the happiest man on the earth!”

“It is for all of us that we celebrate Brother.”

Allen nodded at him and smiled. More time passed and the laughing barely ceased. At last dinner was finished.

“Come to the table boys! Dinner is served!”

“Now Celeste, this is a special day! Let us eat here and be loose!”

“Fine Amos but you’re cleaning up tonight!”

“Sure thing love.”

So she served dinner where they sat. It was of course Abel’s favorite meal. The four continued to speak fondly. They spoke of memories from the past and the new ones that would be made. As the evening passed Allen began to feel uneasy again. He looked to the open windows, curious as if we would see something staring at him. He tried his best to shake it off but alas nothing could. Of course it was Abel who turned the subject into one of dark things.

“What do you think of these rumors of the undead living among us Allen.”

“It’s all folly Abel. Don’t think too much into it.”

“Yes Abel! Please don’t bring such things up. Especially so late.”

“Now Celeste my love, don’t forget… we must always be cautious.”

“Allen doesn’t believe in the unnatural? That is what’s folly.”

“What do you mean cautious, Father?”

At that moment Allen’s Father looked troubled. He pulled a pipe from his side and lit up the tobacco inside. Allen knew that his Father only smoked when his mind raced. What rabbit hole had they opened, he wondered.

“What I mean Allen is that if the righteous walk the earth, then the unrighteous must as well. I believe in these creatures. They walk the night hunting prey and they feast on the blood of the innocent. It is how they survive, though not in daylight. I’m sure there is a reason but I don’t know. Perhaps they find it easier that way.”

“Amos please! You’re frightening them!

“Nonsense! They need to know what is out there. Don’t worry boys, I keep a sharp wooden stake in the cupboard. It’s one of the few ways to kill them. Driving it straight through their wretched hearts.”

“What if they get to you? What happens then?” Abel asked curiously.

“Well if it’s a half-blood…”

“Enough Amos you old fool! Abel please open your gifts! It’s late and I'm sure Allen needs his rest.”

“Haha of course Mother!

As he was about to open his gifts, a loud knock on the door was heard. This of course startled the already uneasy party. Amos then walked over and opened it slowly. Strangely it was Amos’ Brother Peter. 

“Peter? It’s been too long.”

“Not long enough Amos.”

“Please come in. Celeste fetch Peter a drink.”

“WINE! If you have it!”

“Yes. Wine it is.”

He was carrying a large bible in his hand and a rosary in the other. He wore thick clothes on each one which was odd for anyone to see.

“We have much to discuss Amos. You as well Celeste. I’m sick of the dirty looks I receive when telling them my Brother is a…”

“Say it Peter. I am not ashamed.”

“A PROTESTANT!”

“Boys if you would step into the other room for a while. I would appreciate that.”

They both nodded in agreement and walked into Abel’s room. 

“What are your plans now Abel?”

“I wish to go to the University.”

“Excellent! Which?”

They spoke though the words from the other room were loud. They clearly heard the arguments over scriptures and their meanings. Allen, of course well versed in the word, knew that both were wrong in aspects though he was too polite to join in the argument.

“I’m hoping to go to Dwight University near Belladonna.”

“I’ve heard of Dwight but not Belladonna. I'm sure it won’t be important though.” 

“Ha! Yes there or perhaps Old Densmark College. I haven’t decided.”

“How boring. Go to Dwight, I’ve heard the women are exquisite.”

“The only women, a man like you would be interested in is one Father spoke of.”

“The undead? Not me I assure you. But then again if opportunity knocks…”

“You idiot! They would suck your blood dry before you got your socks off!”

“Then I shall keep my socks on!”

The two shared a quick laugh before Allen’s Mother let out a sharp sudden scream. They rushed into the living room and saw Peter on top of Amos on the floor. Allen could clearly see him biting into his neck. Abel tried to intervene but Peter threw him like a ragdoll against the wall. 

Allen then went to his Mother and tried to pull her away. But she didn’t want to leave her husband so she struggled but Peter then lunged and took her to the ground and bit into her neck. Allen froze for a moment when he saw blood trickling down his mouth. He too tried to pull him off but to no avail. Peter threw him as well though he did not crash as harshly. Allen stood up and caught himself before falling again. He remembered what his Father told him about the wooden stake so he quickly searched the cupboard for the tool. It took a few moments but he did find it. It was sharpened finely and Allen ran back to the room. Peter had finished with Celeste and was walking towards Abel who was still lying on the ground. Allen  again froze in fear but he knew what he had to do. As Peter kneeled and went for Abel’s neck, Allen drove the stake into his back. He screeched an awful screech and fell to the ground. He looked at his Mother and Father. Obviously dead or worse. But Abel showed some signs of life. 

“Speak to me Brother! Please speak.”

“I don’t… feel so good.. Allen. I think… I… might be… dying.”

“You’re fine! Don’t let go Abel. You’re going to Dwight University and you're going to… you’re going to… my God! Don’t go Brother! I need you!”

“I see them Allen… They’re coming… for me.”

“No! No! No!”

He let out his last breath and died as Allen cradled his body. Tears of painful sorrow flowed from his eyes. He didn’t move for a very long time until he regained his strength and stood to his feet. To his surprise his Mother and Father were standing. Allen froze and stared at them. 

“What is happening Amos?”

Without saying goodbye they rushed out of the home. Allen stepped outside and looked into the night. Unsure of exactly what had happened. What now he thought.



© 2024 Scarefrow


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

43 Views
Added on July 29, 2024
Last Updated on August 14, 2024