PART 8 I AM AN OVERCOMER

PART 8 I AM AN OVERCOMER

A Chapter by rondo
"

What does it mean to rejoice in persecutions?

"

8

Rejoicing in Persecution

I can honestly say that in all of my years in Christian service, I’ve never been apprehended by others, put in jail, or physically abused for my faith. However, I was asked to leave a particular church because of doctrinal differences.

In one church I was a member of, I eventually was allowed to conduct a Bible study in a fellow believer’s home. On one occasion, those whose house was used for this endeavor asked me if I could speak on a topic they were wrestling with, i.e., is a believer allowed to drink alcohol? The perspective of the church was that drinking was prohibited.

I was aware that in religious teachings, except for those that are absolute, there are two sides to every story. In this case, some churches teach that believers are allowed to drink alcohol, albeit in moderation. However, there are others that contend they’re not permitted to drink at all because Jesus, even though He drank wine, was watered down and considered to be grape juice.

I let them know that I would handle it by contrasting opposing views, even though I admitted to supporting the church’s teachings. To my surprise, when I arrived on the evening when the Bible study was held, the pastor of the church and his assistant were there. At first, alarm bells went off in my head. But after thinking about it, I was glad they were there to hear the message. After both perspectives were presented, a financial offering was taken, followed by prayer requests and refreshments. All appeared to go well.

On the following morning, I received a phone call from the head pastor asking me to meet him at his office. When I got there, I could see by his facial expression that he was disturbed. He said that he disagreed with the contrasting approach of teaching about this topic and proceeded to tell me that I was removed from conducting the Bible study. But this was not the end of it.

My family was living in an apartment that was owned by the church. A couple of weeks later, he called me into his office again. This time, he said that we should leave the premises. This hit me hard. I had attended an affiliated Bible College a few years earlier. I had been employed on staff for three years and was now asked to live elsewhere. But God!

Having obtained a Bachelor of Science degree years earlier at a state college in my home city, I sent out resumes to private and public schools. Eventually, I received a call from a small public school on a nearby island. I interviewed and got the job. I can thankfully say that I recently retired after teaching there for twenty-five years. Praise you, God.

Most of the stories involving persecution in the New Testament church seem to involve believers being persecuted by unbelievers. In today’s church environment, I wonder how many believers have been victimized by fellow believers. What I’d like us to do next is look at a story of what the apostles did after they were persecuted for their faith by the unbelieving Jewish religious hierarchy. Please go to the Book of Acts.

                                    

Suggested Reading: Acts 5:12-42         

12 And by the hands of the apostles were many signs and wonders wrought among the people; (and they were all with one accord in Solomon's porch.

16-18 There came also a multitude out of the cities round about unto Jerusalem, bringing sick folks, and them which were vexed with unclean spirits: and they were healed every one. Then the high priest rose up, and all they that were with him, (which is the sect of the Sadducees,) and were filled with indignation, And laid their hands on the apostles, and put them in the common prison.

At Jerusalem, a multitude of sick people and those who were demon-possessed were brought to the apostles, and they were all healed. Being aware of these miracles, the high priest and those of the Sadducees cast them into prison. It’s interesting to think that although religion is supposed to support its followers and evidence godliness to others who aren’t participants in it, it, unfortunately, takes violent action against those whom God has actually benefitted.

Unbeknownst to their perpetrators and fellow believers, an angel of the Lord freed them from their prison bonds, directing them to go to the temple to teach in Christ’s name. When the religious leaders heard that somehow they escaped from prison and were in the temple declaring the gospel, they were apprehended again, but this time, they were brought before the council of the Sanhedrim, the highest judicial court of the Jews.

40 And to him they agreed: and when they had called the apostles, and beaten them, they commanded that they should not speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go.

After declaring the gospel before them and, in particular, a Pharisee named Gamaliel, a doctor of the law who provided counsel, they were subsequently beaten and let go. Some believe that what they were subjected to was a public whipping. And what was their attitude after receiving unjust punishment?

41 And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name.

They were rejoicing (theme of joy) that they were counted worthy (honored) to suffer shame (disgrace) for the name of Christ.

Romans 5:3-5 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

We’re told that tribulations (troubles or pressures) give us an opportunity to think with God’s mind (Word) while we’re in the midst of them. This occupation could be reflective of one of the spiritual qualities of the Holy Spirit, i.e., patience (to remain under trials in a God-honoring way so as to learn the lesson they are sent to teach30), otherwise known as longsuffering (Galatians 5:22).

Furthermore, we’re instructed that tribulation produces patience, and patience experience, which is a state of mind that has stood the test, and experience hope, meaning that we’re not disappointed because the love of (toward) God is shed abroad (of the influence of the Holy Spirit poured down, or abundantly imparted to people31in our hearts (conscious of high and abundant love to God, and by this he is sustained in his afflictions32).

As Christians, testing will come our way. If we endure them in a God-honoring way, God’s love will be expressed in the midst of adverse circumstances. Here are some verses that reveal the mindset we should be occupied with when we’re persecuted for our faith.

Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering (bearing [up through] all the troubles and difficulties of life without murmuring; submitting cheerfully to every dispensation of God’s providence, and thus deriving benefit from every occurrence33; entertaining no thoughts of retaliation even when wrongfully treated34), gentleness, goodness, faith,

2 Timothy 3:12 Yea, and all that will live godly (making the Holy Scriptures the rule of his words and actions35) in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.                                                                            

1 Corinthians 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able (will provide sufficient strength to resist it); but will with the temptation (open persecutions, or afflictions on account of their religion; or they might be the various allurements which were spread around them from the prevalence of idolatry36also make a way to escape (the appropriate way; not immediate, but in due time37), that ye may be able to bear it (‘the way out’ is the ability to endure the test38).                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

What we’ll take a look at next is how to stay true to our spouse in marriage.

 



© 2024 rondo


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

40 Views
Added on July 20, 2024
Last Updated on July 20, 2024


Author

rondo
rondo

BLOCK ISLAND, RI



About
My name is James Rondinone. I am a husband, father, and spiritual leader. I grew up in Massachusetts and began my own spiritual journey early on in life. I attended bible college having completed a.. more..

Writing