PART 7 I AM AN OVERCOMER

PART 7 I AM AN OVERCOMER

A Chapter by rondo
"

Why should we meditate on God’s Word?

"

7

Meditating on God’s Word

In 1979, after having served as an outreach coordinator for a church in my home city, I decided to attend an affiliated Bible College, which was located in western Massachusetts. When my family and I arrived and settled in, I found the pace was quite hectic.

At registration, I signed up to obtain a two-year degree in Christian Leadership. My first year was comprised of taking many classes, attending worship services, and trying to find employment. I took whatever work I could find. I bought and sold gold and silver, worked as a maintenance man for a Ballet school, was a counselor for abused children, and set up shop at various colleges and malls selling handmade jewelry from Arizona.

During my second year, I secured a job teaching high school mathematics at the affiliated Christian day school that was located on the school grounds. Before this job began and after it ended, Monday through Friday, I drove a school bus for a nearby private all-girls high school. After which, I’d return to the family dorm apartment and accompany my wife and young son for dinner in the cafeteria. This would be followed by taking courses in the evening from about 6-9 pm.

I noticed that even though I’d worked as an outreach coordinator years earlier and had learned, appropriated, and meditated on Scripture consistently, I was having difficulty with my mental attitude in this environment. Why? Because my days were filled with thoughts or ideas other than Scripture, which lessened my meditation time and limited the impact of God’s presence.

After speaking with various believers about this dilemma, I was directed to talk with a fellow brethren. He told me that as busy as my schedule was, I still had to make a point of meditating on Scripture sporadically throughout each day. So, I determined to find small pockets of time to reflect upon the Word of God and consistently experience the impact of God’s graces in my life.

The most outstanding example of someone whose identity was questioned, mission was doubted, miracles were rejected, and purpose was condemned was Jesus. And yet, what did He focus on during His brief life on the earth? Find out by turning your Bible to the Book of Luke.                                                                                                                 

Suggested Reading: Luke 2:40-52

40 And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him.

From the ages of twelve to thirty, before Jesus began His public ministry, He grew (increased in bodily stature) and waxed strong in spirit, being filled with wisdom, which passed into His soul through instruction, study, and meditation, giving Him insight into the will and rule of God the Father. What about you? Would you like to increase in wisdom? Then, purpose to receive instruction, incorporate personal study, and meditate on scriptural declarations that will help you grow to maturity. And as you continue in wisdom, something incredible will happen.

Ephesians 4:11-12 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:           

Christ has given to some of His followers leadership gifts in the church, such as apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastor teachers, for the mending, repair, or correcting of all that is deficient of the saints, the work of Christian service, and to cause the Body of Christ to grow strong so that every member might become spiritually mature.

Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

This mending, repair, or correcting of all that is deficient takes place as the mind of Christ, which we’re to put on, is declared to us by the preaching and teaching of the Word of God.

1 John 2:6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

As we learn about Christ’s mindset of: humility, listening to and obeying the Father’s directives, and fulfilling His calling, so should we follow His steps.

52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.

And the result will be that we, like Jesus, will find favour with God and man. The word favour means as to his human nature, increased in the graces of the Holy Spirit.27 Whereby, people will witness Godly qualities of character expressed in our lives before them in word and deed.

Proverbs 23:7a For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he:

Ever wonder how important it is for us to reflect on God’s Word? Here’s an article that emphasizes how crucial our thoughts are.

 

THIS IS HOW YOUR THOUGHTS BECOME YOUR REALITY

Your mind is very powerful. Yet, if you’re like most people, you probably spend very little time reflecting on the way you think. After all, who thinks about thinking? But, the way you think about yourself turns into your reality. If you draw inaccurate conclusions about who you are and what you’re capable of doing, you’ll limit your potential.

 

The Link Between Thoughts, Feelings and Behavior

Your thoughts are a catalyst for self-perpetuating cycles. What you think directly influences how you feel and how you behave. [So,] if you think you’re a failure, you’ll feel like a failure. Then, you’ll act like a failure, which reinforces your belief that you must be a failure.

I see this happen all the time in my therapy office. Someone will come in saying, “I’m just not good enough to advance in my career.” That assumption leads her to feel discouraged and causes her to put in less effort. That lack of effort prevents her from getting a promotion.

Or, someone will say, “I’m really socially awkward.” So when that individual goes to a social gathering, he [stays in] the corner by himself. When no one speaks to him, it reinforces his belief that he must be socially awkward.

 

Your Beliefs Get Reinforced

Once you draw a conclusion about yourself, you’re likely to do two [things:] look for evidence that reinforces your belief and discount anything that runs contrary to your belief. Someone who develops the belief that he’s a failure, for example, will view each mistake as proof that he’s not good enough. When he does succeed at something, he’ll chalk it up to luck.

Consider for a minute that it might not be your lack of talent or lack of skills that are holding you back. Instead, it might be your beliefs that keep you from performing at your peak. Creating a more positive outlook can lead to better outcomes. That’s not to say positive thoughts have magical powers. [But,] optimistic thoughts lead to productive behavior, which increases your chances of a successful outcome.

 

Challenge Your Conclusions

Take a look at the labels you’ve placed on yourself. Maybe you’ve declared yourself incompetent. Or perhaps you’ve decided you’re a bad leader. Remind yourself that you don’t have to allow those beliefs to restrict your potential. Just because you think [something] doesn’t make it true.

    

The good news [is that you] can change how you think. You can alter your perception and change your life. Here are two ways to challenge your beliefs:

�-�Look for evidence to the contrary. Take note of any times when your beliefs weren’t reinforced. Acknowledging exceptions to the rule will remind you that your belief isn’t always true.

�-�Challenge your beliefs. Perform behavioral experiments that test how true your beliefs really are. If you think you’re not good enough, do something that helps you to feel worthy. If you’ve labeled yourself too wimpy to step outside of your comfort zone, force yourself to do something that feels a little uncomfortable.


With practice, you can train your brain to think differently. When you give up those self-limiting beliefs, you’ll be better equipped to reach your greatest potential.28

In the natural realm, we can generate positive thoughts. However, in the spiritual realm, we can agree with [the thoughts above] that declare our new status in Christ. Along with this, we have someone who works closely with us, i.e., the person and work of the Holy Spirit.

Here are some verses for you to learn about the importance of meditating and what to focus on.

Colossians 3:2-3 Set your affection (mind, keep on thinking about) on things above (heavenly realities and values; on the eternal), not on things on the earth (things that perish; these things should not be our aim, goal, or master.) For ye are dead (separated from the former life, and everything of an evil nature that pertains to it), and your life (the resurrection life which the saint enjoys; the believer’s real hidden life) is hid (locked together) with Christ in God             

1 John 2:5a But whoso keepeth his word (all that God has made known to us as His will in regard to our conduct), in him verily is the love of God (love produced in us by the Holy Spirit) perfected (manifested; an experiential realization of divine affection; characterized, not by any representative trait or quality of his own personality, but merely as the subject of the work of divine love)...29

Not surprisingly, as we grow in Christ and become like Him, our new life will become an affront to some. So, we need to be mentally prepared beforehand to respond with a heavenly perspective.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                


 



© 2024 rondo


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

26 Views
Added on July 15, 2024
Last Updated on July 15, 2024


Author

rondo
rondo

BLOCK ISLAND, RI



About
My name is James Rondinone. I am a husband, father, and spiritual leader. I grew up in Massachusetts and began my own spiritual journey early on in life. I attended bible college having completed a.. more..

Writing