PART 4 I AM AN OVERCOMER

PART 4 I AM AN OVERCOMER

A Chapter by rondo
"

How Is Spiritual Self-Esteem Developed?

"

4

Developing Spiritual Self-Esteem

How do you and I, as Christians, come out from entertaining depressive thoughts about ourselves?

Those in church leadership might suggest getting your mind off yourselves and onto others. Go to prayer meetings, be consistent in worship services, volunteer to help others, etc. I’d highly recommend getting involved in some or all of these areas. However, we can be involved in different aspects of church service and still think about ourselves unhealthily. This was my situation when I was asked to go on staff for a particular church in my early years of ministry. Here’s my story.

In 1979, after attending a non-denominational church for about a year, I was asked by the head pastor if I’d consider accepting a position on the administrative team as an outreach director. This appointment would involve visiting people who had or were attending church gatherings and those in hospital environments, overseeing a weekly Bible study, picking up people and bringing them to and from church services, coordinating Bible accredited courses, and from time to time, being asked to speak a brief message during worship services.

I accepted the request with enthusiasm and trepidation and quit my current job. I’ll concede that I was out of my comfort zone on so many occasions. The most difficult one was being the center of attention. The head pastor asked me to sit next to him and his assistant in front of the congregation when the saints gathered together to worship the Lord and listen to anointed teachings. Whenever I sat among them, I was intimidated and felt insecure. I’d think to myself, I don’t belong up here with them. Who am I to be sitting next to these distinguished men?

This could be attributed to the strained relationship I had with my dad when I was growing up. He had many talents: real estate broker, carpenter, restaurant business owner, and factory worker. Growing up, I wasn’t interested in his endeavors. I liked sports, partying, and girls. He didn’t appreciate my lifestyle and would let me know about it in a condescending way. We simply didn’t get along. I would, as often as I could, not be around him when he was home.

So, here I was, sitting next to men of authority. Thoughts of not measuring up would rear their ugly head. How could I change this perception of myself?

First, I began to realize I was where I was because God wanted me to be there. Second, for me to be in a state of contentment in this circumstance, I had to learn, memorize, and meditate upon pertinent Scriptures as to who I am in Christ. No one in their Christian walk is better than anyone else. The leadership gifts and gifts of the Holy Spirit are given by grace. For each of us to walk successfully in our callings, we must learn how to work out our salvation in fear and trembling.

Before I reveal to you some of the verses that took me out of what I’d call mental depression (sadness, gloom, dejection - a condition of general emotional dejection and withdrawal, a sunken place11), let’s take a look at a story from the Bible which illustrates how the forces of darkness perceive those who are walking in the Spirit and those who are not. Please turn to the Book of Acts.

 

Suggested Reading: Acts 19:10-20

11-12 And God wrought special miracles by the hands of Paul: So that from his body were brought unto the sick handkerchiefs or aprons, and the diseases departed from them, and the evil spirits went out of them.


While in Asia Minor, God performed special miracles (unusual or extraordinary wonders) beyond those familiar to the disciples, by Paul. So that through certain items which he carried with him, i.e., handkerchiefs (a sweat rag which was worn on the head; a piece of linen with which sweat was wiped from the face) and aprons (a half girdle, or covering half the person a piece of cloth which was girded round the waist to preserve the clothes of those who were engaged in any kind of work12) cures were performed, and evil spirits were cast out.

15 And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye?


There were seven sons of a man named Sceva, who traveled around from place to place in order to drive out evil spirits for profit by using an oath. When they heard Paul use the name of the Lord Jesus in the calling out of the evil spirits, they decided to use the same name. In this instance, one of them replied back, saying, Jesus, I know, (to know by interaction and experience) and Paul, I know; but who are ye? 

When we walk in the Holy Spirit by putting on the whole armor of the Word of God, we’ll be known by the principalities and powers. It’s not what we do for God, but it’s getting to know His thoughts about us so that whatever we’re engaged in, He’ll be the power behind it.

So, I’ll ask, who are you?

Below are some verses that will help us in developing spiritual self-esteem. Included next to some of the words will be additional meanings in Koine Greek for New Testament Scriptures or Hebrew for Old Testament passages, providing a fuller picture of what’s being conveyed.

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ (which [speaks of your spiritual relationship to Him because you] believed the message of the gospel and was identified by faith with Him13), he is a new creature (a new creation, a new person on the inside14): old things (selfish, carnal views of ourselves, of others, and of Christ;15those things that characterized the pre-Christian life16are passed away (disappeared); behold, all things are become new (in quality).                                                                                                                       

Galatians 4:7 Wherefore thou art no more a servant (a slave to sin or to the Mosaic Law), but a son (an adopted son; an adult son; a member of God’s family; as someone who’s free from being under the bondage of sin or the Law); and if a son, then an heir of God (one who possesses God Himself; one who can partake of His nature; one who possesses every spiritual blessing to which they’re entitled) through Christ.


1 Peter 2:9a But ye are a chosen generation (an elect race), a royal priesthood (a body of priest-kings17), an holy nation (a multitude of people of the same nature18a peculiar people (the unique, private, personal ownership of the saints by God; God’s unique possession just as if that saint were the only human being in existence19);


1 Corinthians 15:10a But by the grace of God (through divine influence) I am what I am (my character and attainments):


What we’ll take a look at next has impacted me negatively on a number of occasions in my walk with God. Are you ready to discover what it is and how to address it?

 



© 2024 rondo


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

36 Views
Added on June 22, 2024
Last Updated on June 22, 2024


Author

rondo
rondo

BLOCK ISLAND, RI



About
My name is James Rondinone. I am a husband, father, and spiritual leader. I grew up in Massachusetts and began my own spiritual journey early on in life. I attended bible college having completed a.. more..

Writing