COFFEE

COFFEE

A Story by rocindael
"

A short story about a love and a cat.

"
The rain keeps pouring down in light but persistent sheets, tapping against the window panes and dripping down onto our germaniums. The scene past the window seems like someone had put a gray filter over the garden painting everything dull.

The kitten seems to be the only one with life these days. Every now and then he whizzes out of his hiding place under the couch to paw at an unsuspecting plastic bag or grab and bite at an unsuspecting ankle. 
I'm pretty sure I've kicked him at least thrice; accidentally of course.

I remember when he first arrived. It was on a day like this one actually. He was a sopping wet, whiny, ball of fuzz seeking shelter under one of the corn plants. You picked him up gently and wrapped him in a towel, nursing him into this ADHD thing we have today.

I grab at the fur ball as it was streaking by to heaven knows where. It's black and white. Funny little thing. It tries to grab my nose as I hold it by the flap of skin behind its neck. I drop him onto my lap, cradling him like a baby while he looks at me with those green eyes wondering what the heck I'm doing. These days I don't know the answer myself.

"We got this kitten just a month and a half ago didn't we? He's gotten so big he can be used as a rag now," I laugh.

I hold him up from under his armpits while he gnaws at me, begging to be let go. Probably wants to go on another one of his adventures destroying our stuff around the house. I bop it on the nose with my own and let him go. 

I stare into my mug. The tiny bits of foam are slipping away from it, fading into nothingness. The smell wafts into my nose as the steam fogs up my glasses. I can't see what's in front of me anymore.

I put down the mug with a light thud and look out the window, waiting for the glasses to un-fog rather than wiping them with a napkin. 

"It's quite cold today, isn't it dear?"

My sight clears up as I stare at the place you usually sit in, across from me in this window side table.

I miss you so much.

© 2015 rocindael


Author's Note

rocindael
Bash it. Tell me what's wrong with it: every excruciating detail, every wrong punctuation, every wrong plot. I just want to learn.

Oh and tell me what you think the gender of the person in the story is. Thanks and lots of love!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love cats and reading your story was a pleasure. The weather described is very pleasant and perfect for the story.Every part of the feeling mentioned up there is mesmerizing ;)
Ps- i think its's a female

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

80 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 22, 2015
Last Updated on March 22, 2015
Tags: love, melancholy

Author

rocindael
rocindael

About
I like plants more..

Writing