Winter Warmth

Winter Warmth

A Story by A.C. Jones
"

a couple enjoys each other's company on a cold winter night

"

            Snap!  Small sticks fell in a lump as cold chills in the air made my body shiver.  Reaching to my left, I picked up a large piece of the cardboard-like firestarter. I strategically placed pieces in the middle of the kindling hoping that everything would quickly catch, and I could jump back onto the couch and wrap up.  The match box was almost empty.  Only three thin sticks looked back at me.  My fingers were numb as I collected one of them in between my index finger and thumb.  With a steady tremble, I rubbed the head of the match against the rough side of the box.  Snap! Two matches left now. 

            A growl rose in my stomach.  I absolutely hated winter.  If it were up to me, the season would be abolished. As a kid, I remember first hearing about global warming, and thinking that finally, God had done something right.  The world would be eternally warm. Obviously, I was in for a disappointment when the ‘phenomenon’ was actually explained to me. 

            I grabbed the second match with a little more gumption and determination.  This time, a little flame waved in the air as I leaned down and reached into the fireplace.  Little flames appeared in the ruble of sticks, and my excitement at the success I was now having gave me energy to add more kindling and fuel to the growing fire. 

            Once I was satisfied that I wouldn’t have to get up for a good while, I climbed on to the couch and pulled my feet off of the floor.  Grabbing the blanket to the side of me, I closed my eyes and let the warmth of the wool and the fire slowly take away the bite of the chill.  I also enjoyed the warmth of the memories this blanket provided.  My sister and I as kids would wrap up in the massive covering and snuggle while listening to dad read the paper.  He would look up at us with our pleading eyes and finally give in to telling us stories until our eyes couldn’t stay open any more.  Sometimes, he would see how long he could hold out without falling prey to our manipulative stares. It never lasted more than a few minutes.

            A steaming mug added a new source of warmth as it radiated by my cheek.  I turned to see her caring smile and mischievous gaze directed at me as she held out the treat for me to grab.

            “I put marsh mellows in it.  Lots of them.”

            I grabbed the mug greedily; not caring to see how hot it was. My hands hugged it, and the heat sent a new feeling of exhilaration through my body.  She laughed and walked around the couch. 

            “You’re a tease,” I shook my head as she slowly walked by wearing only my sweatshirt; large enough to come down just over the tops of her bare thighs.  “Aren’t you freezing.”

            She sat down next to me on the couch and pulled her legs up under the blanket.

            “You can keep me warm, can’t you?” Like I said"tease. 

            She took a sip of the hot cocoa and leaned her head back on my shoulder swallowing the warm liquid and letting it hit her system.  We sat for a moment listening to the crackling fire; her with her eyes closed and snuggled next to me, and me staring at the beautiful woman who decided she wanted to spend the evening with me in the drafty, cold house. 

            “I wish I could give you more,” I whispered with a sigh. She craned her neck so that she could look into my eyes.

            “I don’t need more.”  She grabbed my free hand in hers. 

            “You deserve more,” I said looking around.  “I don’t have much.  I live in an old house, drive a beat up car that can’t start in the cold, my paychecks are gone before I can see them, and ….”

            Without a word, she placed her mug on the floor and swung her leg over my lap; straddling me.  Grabbing my face in her hands, she leaned forward and brushed her lips against mine.  Their soft touch almost stopped my heart as I closed my eyes.  When I opened them, she smiled.

            “I don’t need more, babe.”

             That was all.  She moved back to her position beside me and picked up her cup off of the floor.  The fire continued to burn steady.  The blanket covered us.  The cocoa filled us.  Love.  Love was what kept us.  

© 2016 A.C. Jones


Author's Note

A.C. Jones
just wanted to write a little scene

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
Added on December 13, 2016
Last Updated on December 13, 2016
Tags: Winter, Christmas, holiday, couples, romance, love

Author

A.C. Jones
A.C. Jones

Viginia Beach, VA



About
Media producer, hip hop artist, poet, fictional writer, blogger, sport fanatic, nature-love, coffee drinker, thrill seeker, movie and tv show junkie, animal lover, rollercoaster phien, beach bum, moun.. more..

Writing
Playing God Playing God

A Story by A.C. Jones