He and She

He and She

A Story by red-juliet
"

Character Sketch of myself and a friend.

"

He and She

 

He is a connoisseur of the pragmatist art. His view on life is somewhat narrow-minded.

His memory is short-lived and he prefers not to dwell on matters that are of no concern to him. He is simply put a lover of things simple and uncomplicated. He’ll voice his opinions where necessary, but won’t over think or overindulge in anything. An incident may occur, and he’d give it a thought and form his opinion. And then dismiss it with the wave of his hand, focusing his attention on more pressing matters at hand rather than settle on it, looking for answers. He has live easy, and doesn’t feel the need to makes sense of his comfortable surroundings. He has the ability to be quite profound, but his indifferent nature tends to suppress it. His lack of concern is often mistaken as ignorance, and his childish confidence denotes conceit to most. Life is a road he travels, not pausing to really criticize the scenery or take time to get acquainted with the locals. Sentiment and fond reminiscence are not in his range of qualities.

She, on the other hand, is an over analytical dreamer caught in the crossfire of being excessively idealistic or a straightforward realist. She is an actress of trade, concealing an indecisive and somewhat fragile nature by putting up views and a set character for herself, and acting thereon dictated by circumstance. She strives not to show weakness or flaw in her actions, constantly justifying herself. Her honesty is seen as rude and her sharp-tongue gets the better of her. Life has taught her to be realistic, but her profound nature gets the better of her and she often finds herself pondering over matters looking for niches and cracks in her ideology. She is passionate in her emotion, and struggles not to show it. She can only exist as long as she in not understood. She tends to wonder if people see the true depths and facets of her being.

She is excessively mature when it comes to dealings with love, but covers her true intentions with a cape of cliché and one-sidedness, for one of her fears in life is to be caught vulnerable. She’ll happily pour out her heart, but is conscious of the fact that her emotions are misinterpreted. She is sentimental and almost sweet in her love, so unlike the brusque and aggressive façade she puts forth, to save herself from getting hurt. She longs to be dominated over so she doesn’t need to dominate, and to submit out of respect to another.

But the actress’ proficient skills are put to shame when she’s around him. Suddenly she’s childish in her endeavors, attention-seeking and pathetically eager to please. She tries in vain to keep up her cool mask, but his eyes pierce through her coverings. He completely breaks down this rigorously put-together character and leaves the small girl stripped of her pride and maturity standing shivering in his gaze, for by some strange twist of fate, he is the only one she would ever yield to.

But of this he is not aware, no. If he had the willpower to take the time to analyze he might have come to the conclusion that, young as she is, the amount of feeling put into him by her small heart exceeds that of most established characters twice her age. He would see the truth in her incoherent rambles.

But alas, that is not to be. And she looks at his vacant eyes staring somewhere over her head in thought, and tries to push away the surge of respect and pride she experiences whenever she looks at him, and turns her head away and slips back into character with a little more effort than usual.

© 2010 red-juliet


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I understand that this is a character sketch, but I am longing for some action to really illustrate the kind of people these two are. So far, all I see are descriptions, but nothing seems to really stand out or support what you're saying. These are two exceedingly interesting characters, but why is he staring vacantly over his head? Why is she slipping into character? You have told me that these people are a certain way, and I really wish that you would also SHOW what they are like as well.

Otherwise, it's well written, and interesting.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

69 Views
1 Review
Added on October 27, 2010
Last Updated on October 27, 2010

Author

red-juliet
red-juliet

South Africa



About
fifteenyearold. redhead. with. an. arrogant. streak. and. rebellious. thoughts. and. a. sentimental. insecure. side. she. dismisses. Loves church and her nameless violin. Writes because it keeps her.. more..

Writing
On Death On Death

A Story by red-juliet