FF Chapter 8

FF Chapter 8

A Chapter by André SanSouci
"

Alex and his family meet with the king, as deals are made that will change the world.

"

Chapter 8

     

The library was closed the next day, a sign posted outside reassured members that due dates would be extended. King Gaius Yarlden also arrived at the library, and was allowed in, alone.

      His Majesty was a man of medium build, with pale skin from spending too much time behind his own walls. He had no sword at his side, but still stood proudly as he walked into the room. All that changed the instant he saw his daughter. He rushed over and inspected her, ignoring any insistence she was alright; he had to see for himself. Satisfied his little girl was unharmed, he turned to the group, and awkward introductions commenced. They eventually gathered around the table, and got down to business.

      “Are you really Future?” He asked outright.

      Future sighed, and gestured to his younger form. “I take it this isn’t what you expected me to look like. Very well, but I can’t change while people are watching.” Wood tangled around him, fully obscuring him from view. When he emerged, there was an old man standing there! Gaius and Eira were shocked. Stepping behind the wooden veil again, the young man returned.

      Gaius was amazed “So you are Future, servant of Fate…then, could you tell me mine? What will happen in my future?”

      The Hand shook his head “I’m afraid I can only tell you what might happen, not what will, at least not with certainty.”
      “You can’t, or you won’t?” The king accused.

      “Both. The past is set in stone. The future, on the other hand, is like a spider web of ‘possibly’s, ‘maybe’s and ‘probably’s that are only limited by the past. I can see parts of that web, but others decide what path they take through it. I’m only a guide, and even then, I don’t know everything…” Future gave Gaius a cold glare. “Although I should warn you, many of the paths I see do not end well for you.”

      “You say you don’t know much, but it seems you do know talent, that’s for sure.” Gaius nervously shifted in his seat, eager to change the subject “Captain Johnathan told me all about your companions, but not who this young man is?”

      Erald nudged Alex. “Go on, introduce yourself.”

      Alex bowed stiffly. “I’m Alexander Abaven, your majesty.”

      Eira smiled at her father. “He’s the one who saved me from the dralgs; HE has a beast mark.”

      Gaius shook Alex’s hand. “Thank you, so much, for saving my daughter!” He looked at Future. “Does such a young one really bear the beast mark?”

      Alex looked at Future. The ancient being nodded and Alex rolled up his sleeve. “I’ve killed three dralgs.” He tried to boast with a smile. It felt weird. After four years of hiding the marks, he was now being told to show them off.

      “REALLY! ...Im-Impressive.” The King was staggered a bit, as he realized this boy could easily crush him in a fight. “It really is a crime for you to have such a remarkable boy stuck in here, Future.”

      “He first got the mark when he was eight.” Future explained. “We had to keep him safe. I’m sure you understand what would happen if anyone else got their hands on him.”

      “Of course.” The King replied, his daughter at his side, “But surely he should be allowed outside.”

      Lo crossed her legs and leaned back in her chair “and what do you have in mind, your majesty?”

      “If I may be so bold, I would love for young Alexander to come and attend my Royal Institute, he certainly qualifies as a ‘gifted student’. I also plan for my Eira to attend the academy, and she could use a…companion.”

      “You want Alex to be her bodyguard.”  Winchester stated flatly.

      The King was taken aback by the bluntness, but he regained composure “he’s already proven himself very capable.”

      “What about Frey?” Eira interrupted.

      Her father thought for a moment. “I see no reason why you cannot have two guardians; you are my princess after all.” He patted her head lovingly.

      The little girl crossed her arms, and pouted at her father angrily, but said nothing. Alex chuckled at how childish and cute she looked, but Erald silently rebuked his outburst with a withering glare.

      Future thought about the proposal. “I appreciate the offer, and understand your concern for your daughter, but if Alex were to go to school I would prefer he attend the Yanus Academy, you see, old Yanus, the one who founded the academy all those years ago, was a friend of mine. Of course, if you wish for Alex to be Eira’s bodyguard, that would require them both to attend. Ultimately, though, the choice would be Alex’s.” He turned to the young boy, who’d listened patiently. “Alex, would you like to attend Yanus Academy with Eira?”

      Alex looked at the princess, who’d lit up with excitement. She looked at him with pleading eyes. Alex smiled at his uncle. “Sure, sounds like fun.”

      Eira tried to maintain her composure, but internally she was squealing with delight.

      Gaius was very put out, but acquiesced to his daughter. He locked eyes with Future and mumbled. “Very well.”

      Future shrugged, and explained. “We Hands are bound by our rules and oaths, and one of those binding agreements forbids any ageless, even Lo, Erald, or anyone else, from setting foot on the grounds of Yanus Academy. So if Luck or Evil decide to target either child then they’ll have a rather large obstacle. As for the paperwork, I’m sure you can handle that?” He smiled.

      “Of course.” Gaius smiled back, gritting his teeth.

      Eira smiled, and curtsied happily to her new attendant. “Thank you Alex. I am in your care.”

      Alex looked to Erald, and the large man elbowed him and bowed his head “Oh yeah!” Alex exclaimed “It will be my honour to serve, my lady.” He bowed just as Erald had taught him.

      In the back, Lo and Winchester hid smiles with varying degrees of success.

 

      The two families exchange farewells, before Gaius left with Eira. Then the library got very quiet, as everyone took a breath and reflected on what just happened.

      “I think that went well!” Alex piped up, breaking the silence.

      “Yes, as well as a hostage negotiation could.” Winchester smirked at Future.

      “Oh be quiet Winnie. I was going to give her back regardless; it was her father I wanted to know better. After only hearsay for years, I was finally able to reveal myself to him in person.”

      Lo grabbed a drink. “I understand where the people are coming from though.”

      Erald crossed his arms and thought hard. “A rebellion against such a man would be frightfully easy.”

      Alex whipped his head as each person spoke. “What are you talking about?” he asked. He’d heard the grownups who visited the library say a few things, but hadn’t really paid attention.

      Future stroked his chin. “Gaius isn’t a popular king, and there are whispers of rebellion and revolution. That’s why he wants you around his daughter. You’re strong enough to protect her, and young not to arouse suspicion doing it.”

      “Not to mention, having someone so young with the mark serving her only elevates Eira’s status.” Winchester slowly rose from his chair with almost audible creaks, and went over to the bookshelves.

      “What do you mean by that?” Alex was confused. Why did having HIM around change anything.

      Erald tried to explain. “Alexander, you know very few kids have a beast mark. That makes you special, important. So, for the Princess and his Majesty, having someone important serving them makes them look even more important by comparison. Do you understand?”

      “I’m important?” Alex beamed.

      Future rubbed his forehead. “It’s moments like this that make me wonder if we did a good job raising you.” He looked his student in the eye. “Alex, did you notice the kings’ arms?” Alex nodded. “What didn’t he have?” Future tapped his forearm.

      “The beast mark.” Alex replied.

      “That’s right, and you do. That makes you stronger than him, and he knows it. Others know it too. They see him as weak, and those with the mark want to be in control. The Royal Guard protects him, but right now there’s enough strength in this room to defeat his army. He knows that too. That’s why he wants our help, and yours.”

      Lo clambered up to the second floor and looked out the window. There didn’t seem to be any suspicious people outside, but you couldn’t be too careful. She called down to the second floor. “It also explains why the little girl wanted to get a beast mark. Without it she has practically no claim to the throne, should something happen to dear old dad.”

      Future yelled so Lo could hear. “Her fears are well founded. The dralg attack means that Luck’s after them, but she’s also tipped us off. She won’t try anything again so soon, especially knowing we’re all here with Alex. Still…” he turned to the boy. “You better keep a close eye on that little princess for us.” Alex nodded dutifully.

      Winchester smirked. “Speaking of which, what did you think of the heiress?” he asked Alex directly.

      The boy thought for a moment. “She wasn’t able to climb anything, which was weird, but she seemed nice, and was really happy when I agreed to help.” He looked around, and noticed everyone was looking at him with a weird smile. Then it dawned on him. All those books he’d read, and all the stories Erald told him; a man rescues a princess and they fall in love! “Is she going to be my wife?” He yelled!

      Everyone burst out laughing, and Future smiled. “Maybe, it’s up to you, but that outcome IS in the cards.” He chuckled at his pupil’s panicked face. “Don’t fret. You’re still too young to worry about such things. I’ll make sure nothing is decided without you, and that you’re not forced into such a choice before you’re ready.”

      The words comforted Alex, as he excitedly prepared for his first day outside the Library; his first day of school.



© 2017 André SanSouci


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

91 Views
Added on June 14, 2017
Last Updated on June 14, 2017
Tags: fantasy, school, powers, fate, Young Adult, library


Author

André SanSouci
André SanSouci

Calgary, Canada



About
I use the pen name ‘André SanSouci’ which means ‘happy go lucky’ in French. When I was young I began imagining what it would be like to have conversations with my favo.. more..

Writing