Rolling in the Dough

Rolling in the Dough

A Story by Samuel Dickens
"

Dad earns big money

"

Father was a watch and clock repairman. Not a jeweler, as some might assume, but a man who made watches and clocks run again and keep good time. He had catalogs from which he could order jewelry for customers, but he never stocked any. Most of his business came from the poor, and his prices were the same as they had been twenty years previous, during WWII.  (This was the sixties)


There were two proper jewelers in the small town who could repair watches, but they didn't take in clocks. Dad was friends with them, and he'd sometimes help them catch up on watch repair if they got behind. (A good deal for them because he worked so cheaply)


I would often get angry with Dad because we were so poor. "Why don't you charge more?" I'd ask him, and he'd reply, "Because these poor people need their time pieces to get up on time and make it to work." Some of those poor people, I knew, weren't good at paying, but he would never turn them away.


I think it may have been a Saturday when I went by his shop to hit him up for some spending money. Still a kid, my earnings at odd jobs weren't enough to keep me in movie tickets, Cokes, and other essentials, so Dad was always there and would cough up a little cash if he had it. On this day, he seemed happy and generous.


Opening his wallet, he forked over three bucks. I smiled, having received so much mullah.


"Thanks, Dad. You been raking in the money?"


"Well, you might say that. That banker up at the new bank came down and hired me to go up there and set up a big, fancy clock they have in the lobby."


I knew Dad was the only person in town who could've done that job, and hoped he stuck it to them.


"How much did they pay you, Dad?"

 

"I only spent half an hour up there, and I charged that ol' rich banker five dollars! Heh-heh!"


Yep, that was my Dad, the shrewd business man!

© 2024 Samuel Dickens


Author's Note

Samuel Dickens
It's true, every word. I have a lot of my dad in me.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Your dad may not have been a shrewd business, but your description he was a kind man, a good father and he helped others in their similar businesses…what a guy… it shows me that you don’t have to be rich to be content…..a very good story Sam, I enjoyed it
Warmly, B🌷

Posted 1 Month Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

1 Month Ago

Thanks, Betty. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Betty Hermelee

1 Month Ago

You’re very welcome Sam🌷
Warmly, B



Reviews

Really enjoyed reading this Samuel. Your dad sounds like a lovely and generous man; and as Betty points out, you truly do not have to be rich to be content.

Beccy.

PS. 3 bucks in the sixties, at 10 cents a can, that was an awful lot of coke. :))

Posted 1 Month Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

1 Month Ago

Thank you so much, Beccy. Yes, three bucks went quite a ways back then. It was 25 cents for a movie .. read more
This made me think of my dad. Never put himself first, and never felt money was the be-all and end-all.
And reminds me of all the watches I accumulated over the years when I was young. I hated wearing them and they all ended up collecting in my dresser drawer. I would always get new ones for Christmas or Birthdays because my folks would think I lost the previous one.
Yay for your dad.
j.

Posted 1 Month Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

1 Month Ago

Thanks, Jacob. You're right about the money, and Dad passed that attitude on to me. (And I think I'm.. read more
jacob erin-cilberto

1 Month Ago

I am sure it was the same for your dad. Although, my dad lost his dad when he was only sixteen, and .. read more
Your dad may not have been a shrewd business, but your description he was a kind man, a good father and he helped others in their similar businesses…what a guy… it shows me that you don’t have to be rich to be content…..a very good story Sam, I enjoyed it
Warmly, B🌷

Posted 1 Month Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

1 Month Ago

Thanks, Betty. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Betty Hermelee

1 Month Ago

You’re very welcome Sam🌷
Warmly, B
What a lovely heart-touching, heartwarming story of your dear Dad's kindness and generosity, Sam. He gave you more than half of what he had earned that day, bless him. I like the story v-e-r-y much, it is wrapped in so much fatherly-son love. I enjoyed reading it too! Thank you so very much for sharing, Sam...

Posted 1 Month Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

1 Month Ago

Thank you so much. It's the first thing I've written in a long time.
Mariej

1 Month Ago

Oh, I am so pleased you wrote it and are back writing again, dear friend. Keep writing! Never give u.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 20, 2024
Last Updated on July 20, 2024
Tags: humor

Author

Samuel Dickens
Samuel Dickens

Alma, AR



About
Greetings, all. I'm a seventy-six year-old father of three sons who enjoys writing, art, music, motorcycles, cooking, and a few other things. From 1967 to 1988, I served in the US Navy, where I travel.. more..

Writing