Clara

Clara

A Story by Samuel Dickens
"

An old woman and her morning

"

The morning sun, a shining pearl, shone brightly through the haze and cast its hue upon the world below. Clara Barnes, from her small house on  Sunflower Lane, saw it through the kitchen window.

Good morning, autumn sun. You're not like the one of just a few days ago. Eighty years on this earth, and I never cease to marvel at your many faces.

Morning time required Clara to do morning things, and she shuffled about her old wooden house in well-worn slippers and housecoat. While coffee percolated, she replenished the water and food bowls on the back porch.

Prissy Girl will probably be around soon for her breakfast.  I hope those mean boys didn't catch her and put dirty motor oil on her again.

From a small wicker basket, Clara took one of the two sweet potatoes she'd baked the night before and peeled it.

There's nothing in this world better than a sweet potato.

Coffee poured and orange goodness mashed, she took her chair on the back porch. As she looked out at the morning, she said a prayer.

Thank you for this beautiful day, Lord. Thank you, too, for good health and long years.

Clara swallowed a bite of sweet potato, then followed with a sip of coffee.

I'm so very blessed. Still, if I may...I don't want to sound ungrateful, but could you tell my children to come see me? If not all, then just one?

Clara ate, drank, and continued her plea to invisible ears.

I'm a lonesome old woman, Lord. Can't you just send someone to see me?

Meowww.

"Prissy! Wh--who's this friend you have with you? Oh, my, she looks hungry!"

© 2014 Samuel Dickens


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

what a shame that some old folk should be left alone! you touched on something we see all too often.
without any need for long drawn descriptions and narrative you painted a beautiful (what's new?) story of an endearing old lady left to talk to God and her cat.

Posted 9 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

9 Years Ago

Thanks, my friend.



Reviews

What a charming, simple story. Clara sounds like an older version of me - I spend a lot of time alone, but get visits from most of the cats in the neighbourhood! It sounds like Clara and Prissy were the answer to each other's prayers.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

9 Years Ago

Thank you. I think you're right about Clara and Prissy.
This is both sad and Ironic. Clara sits alone wanting company, praying for it and she gets it perhaps in a more loyal form than her children who have not time for her. I understand getting busy, but not so busy that you do not bring your children to see their grandparents. Mine were some of my favorite people while they were on earth. No one has time for a child like someone who has seen most of their years and values the innocents of youth.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

9 Years Ago

Thank you. As I age, I see more and more how important it is to provide love and support for the eld.. read more
Looks like Lord knows the right people to visit Clara. Maybe he knows that the animals care more about her than her children who have failed to visit her for long. A very simple story, but it speaks a lot. It reminded me of my grandparents, who always feel bad when people leave their house after family get -togethers. My grandmother would sadly point out how the house would fall asleep once again....

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Annie. The world over, there are lonely elderly people.
This is fantastic. Very simple, not overtly complicated but an amazing read. I especially loved Clara's prayer, it was simple yet heart wrenching, truth never fails to touch you.
Loved it.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

9 Years Ago

Thank you. I'm pleased that you liked it.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Leo
There is a bit of desperation, but hopeful wishfulness too. Very touching!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I find your stories to be very comforting like a cup of fresh brewed coffee in the morning. I am glad I have discovered you here at the Cafe. Really enjoyed this one. Sadly it is an all too common occurrence with the elderly. Could be me one day? (smiling)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Dara. I'm humbled. Hopefully, you'll never be in her situation.
Crafted very well, good characterization and attention to detail. The descriptions really worked for me. A sad ending that requires some thought to get your head around. Also, I don't like her ungrateful children one bit, perhaps the strength of this work is that it makes me picture them with barely a mention.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Sam. I think there are a lot of elderly folks in the world who conduct their daily lives .. read more
there is a tranquil beauty, a simplicity and an eloquence to this but there is also a tangible sadness. Your writing is lovely and always tugs at the heart.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

9 Years Ago

Thanks, Tammy. Too often, the elderly are forgotten.
I think Prissy Girl refers to a very tolerant dog, who has bonded with a lonely cat. Whatever Prissy Girl is, she has blessed Clara with a new ward. I really can't describe the beauty of your story. I like the avatar too. Wish you had added it to the page. I like black and white illustration. Eating sweet potato and drinking coffee must be a local habit, or one that you insightfully made up. Just like the habits of mature people. If two things are liked, then they go together, anytime, anyplace; no matter how bizarre it may seem to others.

You painted a picture of supreme contentedness, though pricked with loneliness. Amazing how our prayers are answered. Sometimes it's through an interim solution that carries us through when the solution that we desire never comes. I do hope though that one of Clara's children eventually came to see her. I read this story because my paternal great-grandmother's name was Clara.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Sandi. One of Dad's favorite foods was the sweet potato, and he'd eat them anytime of day.. read more
Lady Glitter

9 Years Ago

One of my grandfather's (the son of Clara) favorite foods was a baked sweet potato, with butter and .. read more
what a shame that some old folk should be left alone! you touched on something we see all too often.
without any need for long drawn descriptions and narrative you painted a beautiful (what's new?) story of an endearing old lady left to talk to God and her cat.

Posted 9 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

9 Years Ago

Thanks, my friend.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

693 Views
23 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 9, 2014
Last Updated on November 10, 2014

Author

Samuel Dickens
Samuel Dickens

Alma, AR



About
Greetings, all. I'm a seventy-six year-old father of three sons who enjoys writing, art, music, motorcycles, cooking, and a few other things. From 1967 to 1988, I served in the US Navy, where I travel.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Windy Windy

A Story by Samuel Dickens


Denise Denise

A Story by Samuel Dickens


Voids Voids

A Story by Samuel Dickens