Clara

Clara

A Story by Samuel Dickens
"

An old woman and her morning

"

The morning sun, a shining pearl, shone brightly through the haze and cast its hue upon the world below. Clara Barnes, from her small house on  Sunflower Lane, saw it through the kitchen window.

Good morning, autumn sun. You're not like the one of just a few days ago. Eighty years on this earth, and I never cease to marvel at your many faces.

Morning time required Clara to do morning things, and she shuffled about her old wooden house in well-worn slippers and housecoat. While coffee percolated, she replenished the water and food bowls on the back porch.

Prissy Girl will probably be around soon for her breakfast.  I hope those mean boys didn't catch her and put dirty motor oil on her again.

From a small wicker basket, Clara took one of the two sweet potatoes she'd baked the night before and peeled it.

There's nothing in this world better than a sweet potato.

Coffee poured and orange goodness mashed, she took her chair on the back porch. As she looked out at the morning, she said a prayer.

Thank you for this beautiful day, Lord. Thank you, too, for good health and long years.

Clara swallowed a bite of sweet potato, then followed with a sip of coffee.

I'm so very blessed. Still, if I may...I don't want to sound ungrateful, but could you tell my children to come see me? If not all, then just one?

Clara ate, drank, and continued her plea to invisible ears.

I'm a lonesome old woman, Lord. Can't you just send someone to see me?

Meowww.

"Prissy! Wh--who's this friend you have with you? Oh, my, she looks hungry!"

© 2014 Samuel Dickens


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

what a shame that some old folk should be left alone! you touched on something we see all too often.
without any need for long drawn descriptions and narrative you painted a beautiful (what's new?) story of an endearing old lady left to talk to God and her cat.

Posted 9 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

9 Years Ago

Thanks, my friend.



Reviews

This was so real and poignant. You handle the subject matter gracefully with just the right amount of empathy written between the lines. Fantastic short story or flash fiction.

Posted 2 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

1 Month Ago

Thank you so much.
Fabian G. Franklin

1 Month Ago

It's always a pleasure to read your stories, Sam. Thank you. F.
A very heart-touching and heart-warming, emotional write which is so meaningful to so many! You narrate Clara's story superbly. Her love for God and life are finely depicted. I am so happy Clara had a darling cat for companionship. Prissy sounds delightful and has brought a friend with her to visit Clara. Not family I know, but perhaps better in some ways. I love how God answered her prayer almost instantly! At the end of life all most of us have is ourselves, sad but true. Thank you for sharing this beautifully narrated poem, finely penned and very moving, Sam. Lovely work!

Posted 2 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

1 Month Ago

Thank you. The world is full of Clara's, I'm afraid.
Marie

1 Month Ago

Sadly. You are correct, Sam and I hope they all have adorable cats like Prissy as their forever frie.. read more
You always move me, to smile or to tears. This was a sad one with a bittersweet twist at the end. I was given a very good piece of advice from a friend who lost his father quite suddenly. He told me, "If you have something you need to say, say it NOW, because you never know." I took his advice to heart and keep in good touch with my family. (Can't visit frequently as they live 900 miles away.) I recently lost an elderly friend. She was a lucky woman with an amazing son. She saw her granddaughter virtually every day from birth, because the family made that a priority. I was sad to lose her, I will miss her very much, but at least she had so much while she was alive.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

4 Years Ago

Thank you. Yes, when they're gone, all we can do is say to ourselves, "I wish I had...."
There is many an old lady, blessed with a cat for company, who is neglected by family, and friends have passed on, but ‘what a friend she has in Jesus’. It seems that God is the only one that listens...and Prissy of course. A time beautifully captured.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

4 Years Ago

Thank you. I'm so glad you enjoyed it.
Great capture Sam. Time and age seem to set the stage more and more. I hope mines is like Clara's. thanks

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

6 Years Ago

Thanks. Great new pic. It's good to see you.
Ah, but you know sometimes animals love you more than family and God knew this little cat needed someone ..

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

7 Years Ago

Thank you. Yes, I think you're right.
I seem to be on a roll here, this is the third read in a row with a cat or canine front & center! *smile* This is really a sweet little ditty that practically describes my own old age, altho with no kids to long for a visit from . . . it's usually the furries that keep me company, too! Thanks for this gentle little story of real life (((HUGS)))

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

8 Years Ago

Thank you. Most everybody needs companionship, methinks.
barleygirl

6 Years Ago

Thank you for featuring this lovely story so I could be reminded to revisit your always-amazing (eve.. read more
Samuel Dickens

6 Years Ago

High hopes--I can dig it!
Beautifully told Sam. My Mum is eighty four and can't understand why some family never call, it's heart breaking to see and have no answer for her. She is one of the lucky ones though, she still gets visits rom me and my eldest sis regularly, and my niece and cousin drop by once a week, but she feels so lost and alone in a house once bustling with life. Beautifully captured my friend.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

8 Years Ago

Thank you for being one of the good ones who visits his mother. (Kudos to your sister, too) I've hea.. read more
alifeacoustic

8 Years Ago

True Samuel, if only, e?
A touching tale Sam. We all could learn so much from our elders. Perhaps if we took the time there would be no such thing as generation gap. And besides it's just the right thing to do to visit someone alone... if for only a little while. You spin amazing fables my friend, but this one is special

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

8 Years Ago

Thanks, Bill. It does sadden me to think of those who've endured the travails of life, pouring their.. read more
In mysterious ways, he provides.. what a sweet sweet sweet lovely story.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

8 Years Ago

Thank you. Becoming rather old myself, I feel more and more for the elderly. We all need some reason.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

688 Views
23 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 9, 2014
Last Updated on November 10, 2014

Author

Samuel Dickens
Samuel Dickens

Alma, AR



About
Greetings, all. I'm a seventy-six year-old father of three sons who enjoys writing, art, music, motorcycles, cooking, and a few other things. From 1967 to 1988, I served in the US Navy, where I travel.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Windy Windy

A Story by Samuel Dickens


Voids Voids

A Story by Samuel Dickens


Denise Denise

A Story by Samuel Dickens