Not Today, "Hon"

Not Today, "Hon"

A Story by Pete

Image result for pretty young girl in grey sweatpants
This morning, I left my apartment, laptop bag slung over my shoulder, and started the short walk to the college, like I do each morning.  As I was making my way through the downtown, a lovely, young girl stepped out in front of me on the sidewalk from a shop doorway.    She was wearing grey sweatpants, sneakers and a coral-colored T-shirt.  She was glassy-eyed and wore the look of a drug-induced stupor.  We exchanged "Hi".  She asked me if I was a cop.  I laughed and said, "I've seen you around here."  She wanted to know if I was "looking for a date".  "Twenty dollars", she added.  "Come on now, you're better than that", I remarked.  "It's how I make my money", she replied.  I stated, "You're so pretty and very attractive."  I leaned forward and kissed her on the forehead as I told her, "God loves you and so do I."  
She's someone's sister, daughter or granddaughter.   She could be my own sister or daughter.  I turned and resumed on my way.  We both left with our faces warm, bright and touched by the same sun.    Looking back over my shoulder, tears welling up in my eyes,  I whispered, "Not today, 'Hon'" ...

© 2017 Pete


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A good write Pete on a sad topic of the young trying to survive sometimes abandoned by dysfunctional parents and drugs like ice seems to be the trade off. Sad sad sad!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

6 Years Ago

very sad indeed. thank you for taking the time andrew.
The world's oldest profession - vacuums up the youngest. If the demand wasnt there then perhaps she might flourish.
A tale of humanity and sadness Pete.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

6 Years Ago

burdens me that someone would be relegated to selling themselves.
Tony Jordan

6 Years Ago

So many students here in Ireland are resorting to it and I have to say, unlike the girl in your stor.. read more
Pete

6 Years Ago

yup. wanted to ask her what brought her down to it but,

"Theirs not to reason why, <.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

200 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 26, 2017
Last Updated on October 17, 2017

Author

Pete
Pete

Boston, MA



About
I love reading, writing, music, nature, God and feeling emotion, not necessarily in that order. To me, these things go hand in hand. My favorite writer is Henry David Thoreau. I think he was a geni.. more..

Writing
Up And Over Up And Over

A Poem by Pete


Sycophant Sycophant

A Poem by Pete