Reflections

Reflections

A Story by Pete

Reflections


The other day, I was sitting beside the canal.  The water was dark, murky and stagnant.   There were many things in it that didn’t belong there and were ruining it.  But what secrets lay beneath?  Sturdy iron railings and granite blocks stood guard over them.  I didn’t know where it came from or where it was going.  I didn’t even care.  It didn’t matter.  Nothing mattered.  I wasn’t interested in being sensible or practical.  I didn’t even know what that meant anymore.  I was numb and frozen.  I wanted only to feel - something, anything.  I wanted to be what I was supposed to be, but I didn’t know what that was.  Mania, depression and unpleasant memories from the past were having a field day and they were arrogantly wearing their blue ribbons. I wanted out.

I was staring at a blank page in my book while a haunting song played over and over in my head.  The world and its people didn’t make sense anymore.  Nothing made sense anymore.  I didn’t fit in.  Life was a macabre play and I hadn’t even been assigned a part.  Why does there have to be so many people and why must everything be a competition - even mere survival?  Our existence is called a race.  People passed by me but they weren’t really people - just eyes, noses, mouths and ears.   They had no faces.  Bricks were everywhere - where do they all come from?  I could think but I couldn’t feel.  I could feel but I couldn’t think.  How do I do both at the same time?  I knew but I was dumb.  I saw but I was blind.  Why couldn’t I simply just be?  There was no path for me.  There weren’t even any breadcrumbs - the birds had eaten them a long time ago.  There was no cookie, let alone a fortune.  My glass was neither half empty nor half full - there was no glass at all, leaving me parched and dry.  There was no future, no hope, and no peace - only a tortured soul, an AWOL spirit, a wounded will and a fractured frame of mind.  I was exposed.  I was vulnerable and suspect.  I was accused and accosted.  I was like a piñata and each time I was struck my sins poured out onto the ground.  I was stuck in a vice and it was closing in on me.  My back was up against a wall.  I was trapped like a rat.  I was like a railroad spike being sledgehammered into the ground in order to secure the tracks of an ill-concocted system so that yet more and more humanity could tread upon me in the name of progress, advancement and industriousness, however elusive they remain.  Everyone was busy but no one was doing anything.  I was a square peg being crammed into a round hole.  I had lost my humanity.  Conformity is the name of the game.  It’s “go along to get along”, but what if I don’t want to?  What if I can’t?

So I cried out in agony and anguish.  Expletives and curses streamed from my mouth like a conduit for sewage from Hell.  That thing inside of me that makes us care was MIA.  Why me?  I was mired in misery, wired in woe and adrift in affliction.  I was disheartened in distress.  It wasn’t fair.  It didn’t make sense.  I didn’t deserve it.  I didn’t ask for it.  The only things that were incapable of lying to me were nature and music.  They were the only things that had any value.  Everything else was false doctrine.  Not even money had value, let alone my life.  I was with Edvard Munch when he got the inspiration for his work, writing of it, “One evening I was walking along a path, the city was on one side and the cliff below. I felt tired and ill. I stopped and looked out over the cliff - the sun was setting, and the clouds turning blood red. I sensed a scream passing through nature; it seemed to me that I heard the scream. I painted this picture, painted the clouds as actual blood. The color shrieked. This became ‘The Scream’.”

  I was a prisoner of my emotions.  The shackles go on a lot more easily than they come off and the key was nowhere to be found.  So, I pleaded my case like a lawyer with a twisted face and a shaky voice.  But it was a hung jury and I couldn’t sign the contract.  I couldn’t seal the deal.  Tears streamed down my cheeks like acid rain from the sky.  I was a foreigner - an alien in a strange world without a map or a compass - searching for truth, meaning and answers.  I was different from everyone else.  I was racing but there was no road, at least not enough of it.  I was sitting with Job of Biblical fame amongst the ashes.  I was with van Gogh, in his studio, when he painted “The Starry Night”.  I was walking with Thoreau beside Walden Pond when he wrote that, “The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation”.  I argued to no avail.  I kept at it for a long time but it was futile.  It is what it is.

            Suddenly, out of nowhere, a strong gust of wind came on the scene and changed everything.  It rippled the surface of the water - as if God himself had reached down and dipped his hand in and agitated it or breathed on it - crafting hundreds of tiny, little waves.  They were like the ripples blown into the sand by a desert wind.  At first, they behaved as a legion of soldiers marching in formation.  They were strong, well-defined, orderly, disciplined and determined.  As it was a bright, sunny day they each reflected the sunlight.  They glistened and shimmered like shards of broken glass; like prisms of earth’s soul; like the electric sparkles from a magic wand and the water and vegetation at an oasis.  They gleamed like sunlight on fresh snow; like the moon kissing a frozen pond on a clear, frosty, winter’s night.  But the wind was too much and eventually it whipped them into a frenzied mob.  They broke ranks and formed new random patterns.  They took on an ancillary life of their own.  They became like parts of a song that touch you deeply inside, where no one talks about - a song that you can’t stop singing or humming - a song that you can’t stop tapping your foot to, no matter how hard you try.  They were like little children running and jumping in a school playground; like ballerinas twirling to life’s ballet and a swarm of fireflies dancing on the water.  As they lit up, they giggled and said, “Look at what we can do”.

            Things aren’t always as they seem.  They change.  They don’t always stay aligned in harmony.  We all wear masks.  The trick is to peek behind theirs and to let them peek behind ours.  Why is destiny so distant?  Why is fate so final?  Oftentimes it’s simply a matter of perspective and resiliency.  I know what it is to have everything and yet have nothing and I know what it is to have nothing and yet have everything.  I prefer the latter.  So why does the darkness have to win?  Where are the broken people supposed to go?  Why must we live like soldiers?  Why can’t we be like little children, ballerinas and fireflies riding a gust of wind?  Why can’t we be more like songs and ripples on water?  And who knows, we might even share a few giggles along the way.  I’m not giving up.  It’s not going to win.  I’ll see you all tomorrow.  We’ll talk again soon.  I’ll tell you mine and you’ll tell me yours.    We’ll exchange truth and love because that’s all we have to give each other and it has to be enough.  It must be enough.  Don’t let anything else get in the way, because underneath we’re all the same, aren’t we?  Our lives are intertwined like the threads of a sweater and each day the master knits a new one.  So put it on and wear it proudly.  We can’t stop it.  No one can stop it.  Like laundromats we try to wash the stains from our souls so that we can continue to “fight the good fight”.  We scrub, plunge and tumble and see what comes out.  What doesn’t come out, we must accept and wear anyway.

On the way home, I was soaring on a cloud where no person had ever gone before.  Angels proclaimed victory by sounding repeated trumpet blasts.  Violins were being played in an elaborate, elated, triumphant symphony and pure light and joy spewed forth as the bows were drawn across the strings.  They even made it intensely powerful and personal by also plucking the strings with their fingers for me.  I was in the spotlight on the stage at a rock concert and everyone was screaming out for me.  I was doing an Irish step-dance while the passing traffic kept the beat.  I was storming the beach at Normandy and nothing could stop me.  I was the runner in the movie, ‘Chariots of Fire’ crossing the finish line while the theme song played.  I wanted to stop and hug everyone that I passed by and find out how they were.  I wanted to throw a block party and celebrate nothing - just being.

I passed by an abandoned lot overgrown with weeds.  Among the weeds was one bearing some beautiful, little, yellow flowers. It didn’t belong there but it surely wasn’t ruining the landscape.  The flowers each looked like the speaker on an old-fashioned phonograph.  Their songs served as reminders that good could still be found " even when surrounded by ugliness.  They had a God-given right to exist where they would, despite being uniquely out of place.  There is always hope.  We have to be willing to forgive and forget, adapt and overcome, rewire and reprogram.  When we do this, we will be able to see the good and the beauty that was always there, that was supposed to be there.  Then the healing can begin in earnest.  Life can be a bittersweet paradox.  Thoreau wrote that, “There is no value in life except what you choose to place upon it and no happiness in any place except what you bring to it yourself.”  I prevailed this day because as he also pointed out, “… it is a characteristic of wisdom not to do desperate things.”

© 2016 Pete


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This work is an incredible deluge of images and feelings taking us from despair to hope. Absolutely incredible. One thing that interests me is - do you believe in fate or have you used it as a widely used term to make sense of the world?
Well done!
Alan

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

8 Years Ago

This is turning into an interesting discussion! I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I accept on.. read more
Pete

8 Years Ago

Do we really have a choice between right and wrong or are we 'predisposed' to it (i.e. enter fate). .. read more
alanwgraham

8 Years Ago

I think you've got me! I feel that we've got round to agreeing that misunderstanding over the defini.. read more



Reviews

You really plunge into your soul and paint an incredible picture of someone who will not accept the normal route.... our worst enemy is our own mind.... thoughts are just thoughts they are not reality.... but the question is, who is in control?


Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

7 Years Ago

Not accepting the "normal route" has cost me much in my life but as I wrote, "I know what it is to h.. read more
This work is an incredible deluge of images and feelings taking us from despair to hope. Absolutely incredible. One thing that interests me is - do you believe in fate or have you used it as a widely used term to make sense of the world?
Well done!
Alan

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

8 Years Ago

This is turning into an interesting discussion! I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I accept on.. read more
Pete

8 Years Ago

Do we really have a choice between right and wrong or are we 'predisposed' to it (i.e. enter fate). .. read more
alanwgraham

8 Years Ago

I think you've got me! I feel that we've got round to agreeing that misunderstanding over the defini.. read more
First of all, this is a very beautiful and very brave piece to write and share. I truly enjoyed it. I've certainly been there: sitting in nature and feeling the weight of life, pouring out my soul in words. Sharing these thoughts with the world, as you have done, reminds others who feel the same way, whether or not they have yet had the reveltion to live on, that they're not alone. That turn, from despair to hope, was very touching to read.

I love all the references to other artists. I also particularly love the question "Why is destiny so distant?"

From a constructive critism side: As a train-of-thought, journal-entry type piece it works. If you're aiming for something more polished, I would recommend a little reorganization: putting similar thoughts together, breaking up the larger paragraphs, and even cutting a few lines. As a whole, the "hope" half ran a little more smoothly than the "despair" half. Writing something so deep and meaningful from the heart often results in a need to just get everything out. You absolutely should get it all out. Then, when you're ready, gently go back through and turn it into something potentially even more profound.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

8 Years Ago

Thanks for the kind words & the constructive ideas. I appreciate it.
Tears started to fall as I lay here reading this ... Quote... I passed by an abandoned lot overgrown with weeds. Among the weeds was one bearing some beautiful, little, yellow flowers. It didn’t belong there but it surely wasn’t ruining the landscape. The flowers each looked like the speaker on an old-fashioned phonograph. Their songs served as reminders that good could still be found " even when surrounded by ugliness. They had a God-given right to exist where they would, despite being uniquely out of place. There is always hope. End Quote...
As we go though life, he wants us here even if we don't feel we belong. He put us here for a reason known to only him. We will find out in the end what that reason was for. I am taking a lot from this write. It is beautifully & painfully written. I feel your heart & soul.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

8 Years Ago

Not sure what to say - so thank you. Your faith is inspiring and your heart is beautiful.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
Hello Pete, it's been a while and I have been missing out. I thoroughly enjoyed your message and the artistry at which you delivered it. Some really great lines in here and it flowed smoothly, but most of all, I got a peak at your heart, and I like what I saw :) Awesome read, dear writer!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

8 Years Ago

Wow! Thank you Lynn. You are very kind, indeed. I appreciate your feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed.. read more
Hi, I read it and really like it. I will read it again. I think there are layers to this story. You are definitely walking toward the "light" Your observation of your surroundings is very acute. You will be just fine. You have a beautiful mind that sees things others may not. I will read it again though. I can get a better perspective on it. Great Write!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Pete

8 Years Ago

Thanks. You are very perceptive. You're right about the layers. I write only what I feel and thin.. read more
Junction

8 Years Ago

The best kind of writing.
Very nice story! Beautiful moments here that really convey the character and his inner thoughts quite effectively.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

8 Years Ago

Thank you, I appreciate that. That's certainly what I was going for.
This is very good and explains life in many ways. I love your details and how i can see the images perfectly. great job!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cecile Wonder

8 Years Ago

That's amazing... and sad at the same time. All of my writings are personal experiences which is the.. read more
Pete

8 Years Ago

Same here. Everything I write I have either lived or firmly believe in every fiber of my being.
Cecile Wonder

8 Years Ago

exactly, it's the only way to write in my opinion

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1296 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on December 14, 2015
Last Updated on April 15, 2016

Author

Pete
Pete

Boston, MA



About
I love reading, writing, music, nature, God and feeling emotion, not necessarily in that order. To me, these things go hand in hand. My favorite writer is Henry David Thoreau. I think he was a geni.. more..

Writing
Up And Over Up And Over

A Poem by Pete


Sycophant Sycophant

A Poem by Pete