Leibniz's Philosophies

Leibniz's Philosophies

A Poem by Drakkin Sartor
"

Just a group homework assignment that has to be printed. Since I dont have a printer Im going to upload it from my school. Make reviews if you really want to.

"

                          Philosopher Project

                            Leibniz Questions

Gottfried Wilhelm von Leibniz, a German philosopher, was born on July 1st, 1646 in Leipzig, Saxony and died November 14, 1716. Leibniz was a philosopher of the Age of Reason who believed that life function like a machine. He was also a mathematician and used his theories of numbers to contribute to philosophical thought. He believed that every action had a reason and final cause which certain other philosophers, Spinoza for example, did not agree with Leibniz. He also came up with the theory that monads, or angels, were the infinite number of souls that inhabited all living things and also inanimate objects of the universe. Much of Leibniz’s way of thinking and theories came from the Greek philosopher Aristotle.

What is the nature of the Universe?

Leibniz thought that the nature of the universe was dictated by God, but that things were a variety and graduation, meaning that everything, both good and evil has to exist in this world. God is on an even level with us, but since he has perfect knowledge he can only make perfect and reasonable actions. All independent actions are governed by monads which represents all living and nonliving things. A monad is a microcosm or universe in miniature. Leibniz says that this miniature universe a mirror image of the universe around us. A single monad reflects that of the present universe, but also that of all other monads making an all seeing eye of life. This representation is different with monads, no two monads are exactly alike, so for example the uncreated monad, God, reflects the universe perfectly while a human monad while still capable to see through is not as clear. Except for the monad of God all monads are represented partly material and partly immaterial since all living things go from a scale from man to substances. According to Leibniz the universe is made up of an infinite number of invisible and indivisible monads which represent the lowest of dust to the highest of intelligence.

What is man’s place in the universe?

Leibniz’s idea of what is man’s place in the universe can be described by his quote (“Every present state of a simple substance is a natural consequence of its preceding state, in such a way that its present is the cause for its future.”). He continues with (“The soul follows its own laws and the body has its laws. They are fitted to each other in virtue of the pre-established harmony among substances, since they are all representations of the same universe.”). We as humans pursue our own actions of life and independent of that of monads. Monads has no real effect on each other, but Leibniz has said that God must have created a system that makes it to where monads do not have a real influence on each other, but at the same time a balance to every action a human or monad commits. We are a monarch of our own lives and yet we are simple a subject of God’s kingdom which is the universe.

What is good and what is evil?

Leibniz states that when God created the system of monads for life that God made them as good as they can be and put them in a world of harmony.  By doing so God made to it where all actions can be carried out in goodness if possible, but since monads can also function independently evil may also exist on the basis of free-will. God also did not make all monads to be completely perfect, of every kind. God, according to Leibniz, wanted the universe to lead up to perfection by going through process of imperfection. Evil is both physical with sickness or pains and moral with sin which God permits these evils to exist since the nature of his universe requires all essences of life to transpire. All things are perfect or imperfect according to God and the system of monads of the universe.

What is the nature of God?

Leibniz does not really have his own theory for the existence of God, but that a higher being must exist so that the universe can function. As to what the nature of God is Leibniz basically states that God is the unborn monad and the complete image of perfection of the universe. God created the universe, monads, and harmony which existence can be broken down to those three things according to Leibniz.  Since God is good the benevolent Lord allows all kinds of things to exist meaning that both good and evil thrive, but with limits on evil. In the end Leibniz wisely stepped around this issue of life so that he would not contradict his own theories.

Is it fate or free will?

On this question Leibniz is nothing, but confusing at best. He states that humanity, existing as monads, acts independently in God’s kingdom. But at the same time he makes it clear that monads are created to be good or evil from creation so that contradicts Leibniz’s earlier statement. Since we exist with tiny universes humans reflect each other, do not affect other monads, and yet somehow balances the actions of other monads out.  Leibniz is an individualist so we can safely say that he does believe in free-will even if his philosophies are obscure at times.

Gottfried Wilhelm von Leibniz’s theories today are considered obviously to be the writings of a poet rather than a philosopher. Even so Leibniz is thought to have helped stem the spread of materialism and help preserve the ideals of God till the 19th century where those ideals can be question more carefully and thoughtfully. Though his philosophies are not in its self to be great thanks to his follower Christian Wolff, who compacted his teachings, help in part start the German Illumination movement which helped push Germany forward with the rest of Europe. Leibniz will always be remembered as one of the great philosophers of the Age of Reason and indeed one of the major philosophers of history.

 

 

 

© 2008 Drakkin Sartor


Author's Note

Drakkin Sartor
Remember this is only a homework assignment. Creative thought did not go into this.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

106 Views
Added on February 18, 2008