a self note on conquering the fear of the blank page: episode 1

a self note on conquering the fear of the blank page: episode 1

A Poem by plainme


’Honey? Call the doctor. It’s back.’’

 

This scenario plays over and over in your head when you freeze. The flashing line counts seconds, minutes and perhaps even hours while you stare at the white page.

 

There’s no trigger, there are no words that can describe this feeling. It’s just a plain, a void, a deep and vast emptiness filled with nothingness. It’s as if you’re stuck in a vortex, and see vaguely typed words flashing by. You’re floating. Gravity as non-existent as the words you’re trying to glue together, but just can’t find the words, or the glue. You’re holding your brain, but it just transforms into fine silky sand and rolls through the spaces in your fingers. You’re done.

 

And that’s when the nightmares start. You sleep with your eyes open, searching for words in the crevices of that brain of yours which has been blown dry of all the fluid that kept your tiny literary engine going. You’re deprived of a soul, deprived of the key to freedom. You’re trying to fulfill your biggest wish of freeing all those crows, so they can fly as one again. But no…

 

Even the doctor won’t help you. He’ll tell you to read a book, or take a break from your work. He’ll advise you to stop smoking and drinking and start doing sports. But he just advises. He just tells you what you could do and should, but I’m certain he’s as clueless of the problem just as you are. He’s not even trying. He’s just glad it’s not him.

 

You leave his office and walk the streets, endlessly stretching. No destination in mind, nothing in particular in it. You’re trying to catch up on what you lost so you decide to write and you end up here?

 

© 2014 plainme


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

No doctor or medicine could cure a writer's block. Only the writer can cure it. LOL. :) Nice work.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love it! whish it could have been longer though. Your writing only seems to get better.

- sonnetmoon

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

plainme

10 Years Ago

I find myself in that phase where my writing just pops up from nowhere, but that phase just doesn't .. read more
Love this, it's a journey that takes you to the end of the page. It's almost about nothing and yet, it's about you and the reader as well, great piece!

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

279 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 3, 2014
Last Updated on April 19, 2014
Tags: writers block, alone, poem, who, even, reads, this


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..