The Military:My Story

The Military:My Story

A Story by Jenni Bailey
"

The military affects children too

"

People go into the military to fight for their country.  I admire their bravery and courage they have, but that’s not all that goes into being in the military.  When troops are told to go overseas, they express their sadness, love for their families, etc… This is where my story begins:Growing up in the military was hard and also very heartbreaking.  My Dad was in The Air Force for 20 years, he was on deployment a lot, and was gone for a significant amount of time.  It affected me a great deal, I just wanted my Daddy.  My Dad and I were one soul.  The daddy-daughter bond was unbreakable.  When seeing him off at the airport, I didn’t want to let him go.  I stood frozen, to watch him walk towards the gate, until I couldn’t see him anymore, then bawled to the point I couldn’t see through my tears.  My Dad missed birthdays, holidays, important events, the good, the bad, and the ugly!  


I could talk to him, but it was limited, I could email him, but I feared he wouldn't respond.  I didn’t know whether he was okay, or not.  The-not-knowing was so scary!  My siblings and I counted down on the calendar for his homecoming every night.  I didn’t want to participate anymore because I just wanted my Daddy home now!   I was too emotionally fragile to be without him.  After a while, I couldn’t cry, I couldn’t care the way I used to, and most of all, I couldn’t be my Daddy’s daughter!  


The military is much more than just dressing into a uniform, and getting ready to protect our country.  It’s also about the families and their children that get left behind to just DEAL with the absence.  There is also the mental and emotional absence:No hugs, No kisses, No tucking into bed, No spending the holidays with them, etc…



© 2023 Jenni Bailey


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

52 Views
Added on October 14, 2023
Last Updated on October 16, 2023

Author

Jenni Bailey
Jenni Bailey

Kalispell, MT



About
Hi, my name is Jenni Bailey. I have Cerebral Palsy, and I've been writing since my teenage years. All of my writing is based on my beliefs, struggles, personal trauma, etc...my writing is also very .. more..

Writing