Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by imagwriteine

Aaron

          


6 months after my first visit, I return to Macau. It’s warmer now, spring is floating everywhere - the trees, the birds, the flowers, the sky, all singing the tune of life, of rejuvenation. But this time, the reason isn’t sole vacation,

          

It’s her.

          

At 7 pm I stand in a corner opposite her shop, waiting, concealing myself, and looking at Linda: Her swift movements, her quick responses, her agile fingers, an independent woman. Over the last 6 months she and I have talked on the phone almost every day. Sometimes I called, sometimes she called. All talking about ourselves and how we feel and what special things we have seen. Every 2 to 3 weeks she would come to Hong Kong, or I would go to Macau, to see each other and hang out. I think I am starting to like her. But no, why would she like a man like me: absorbed in work, doesn’t know how to have fun. I don’t think she’ll even miss me.

          

Finally she’s closing her shop. I walk up to her and say,

          

‘Need a hand?’

          

She turns to me, eyes widened, beaming with joy, and laughs.

          

‘Of course! Do you think I’m a superwoman who can do everything on her own?’

          

I do Linda, I really do.

          

After she’s done, I say,

          

‘Come, let me buy you dinner.’

          

‘Nah I’d actually prefer a pork chop bun.’ She smiles shyly, embarrassed, squeezing her hands against her skirt.

          

‘Ok, pork chop bun it is.’ I take her hand, and her face is tainted immediately with a tinge of pale crimson. And then off we go to buy ourselves buns.

          

We sit arm to arm on a stair in front of the façade. We look down, and see patches of golden yellow lying on buildings and streets haphazardly. On the zenith, small silvery pebbles splatter here and there, distanced, as if the black sky is freckled.

          

‘Finished?’ I ask as I see her squash her paper bag into a ball.

          

‘Yeah.’

          

‘Come on, walk to the top with me.’ And I take her hand.


Linda

         

YES HE HELD MY HAND HE HELD MY HAND HE HELD MY HAND.

          

My mind transforms into a bird, fluttering at every step I take, willing for altitude.

          

When we arrive at the front of the façade, he holds both of my hand, my cheeks are suddenly scorching.

          

‘Linda, I… want to tell you something.’

          

Oh please do.

          

‘Yes?’ I answer

          

I gaze into his eyes, and he gazes into mine. I can hear a train rushing by. Is it a train? Or is it my heart? Doesn’t matter.

          

‘I… Have to leave Hong Kong.’

          

Wait what.

          

‘I have business in Europe. So it may take a while before I can return.’

          

A lump of spikes is shoved down my throat, I can feel the pain throbbing and magnifying.

          

‘So… what you mean is… you’re leaving? I can’t see you in 2 weeks’ time?’

          

‘Yes.’

          

That’s it, the dam broke. The heat in my eyes are too overwhelming and tears start to flood out. I look at him, and I can see his eyes are wet too. I turn away from him.

          

‘Linda.’ He says. I turn to look at him, that’s when he kisses me.



© 2015 imagwriteine


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
Added on August 12, 2015
Last Updated on August 12, 2015


Author

imagwriteine
imagwriteine

Hong Kong



About
a rookie (student to be precise) who likes imaginative writings and meaningful poems, reviews on my work would be nice, thx :) more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by imagwriteine


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by imagwriteine


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by imagwriteine