Discovery

Discovery

A Chapter by pesternomia

When Mason had found her she was lying in the middle of the Amberstone Forest covered in leaves and dirt. She was practically dead. Slipping off his jacket, he wrapped it around her bare body. The smell of her blood lingered in the air, and he fought the grimace that was forming upon his lips. You’d think he’d be used to it by now.

“Can you hear me?” he whispered gently as he brushed the hair out of her eyes. Green orbs met his own, and for several moments she didn’t say anything. Seeing her body tremble, Mason carefully took her in his arms, lifting her off the ground with ease. He knew she was in pain, but he knew where to take her.


Her muscles screamed with each step he took.


“Stop.” She protested, not having the strength to fight against him.


“Everything’s going to be okay.” He reassured her. “What’s your name?” His eyes fell to the wounds on her face and neck. She had tried to fight it.  She was lucky he had gotten there. It grew quiet again, and all that could be heard were the sounds of his shoes against the gravel as he cautiously made his way towards the old pick-up truck that was seriously in need of a paint job.


Carefully he placed her in the passenger’s seat and closed the door. Wade was going to kill him if she got blood all over his seats. Mason hadn’t exactly asked the guy if he could borrow his truck. He had just….took it. Because the girl’s scent had traveled all the way to their cabin, and Mason was curious.


“Anna.” She said quietly as if she didn’t even have a voice. “My name is Anna.”
Mason softly smiled and rested his hand on her shoulder.

“Well Anna, you’re in good hands.” He said before starting up the engine, and beginning the journey to the cabin. Mason knew these trails like the back of his hand, every twist and every turn. Oliver had dragged him over these parts of the forest so many times that Mason probably could have found his way with his eyes closed.


“Who are you?” she questioned, her eyes scanning him. He wondered what she saw. Short messy hair? Dark eyes? Mason found himself grow uncomfortable under her gaze. He cleared his throat. “My name is Mason.” He answered. “You’re going to be okay, Anna.”


And with that, Anna gave into the exhaustio
n.

INTO THE CABIN

“Home!” Mason called out, kicking the door open. Oliver didn’t see the point in keeping the cabin locked. Honestly, who would want to break into the crummy shack? Besides, even if they did they wouldn’t find anything valuable.


As gently as possible, Mason placed Anna on the couch, using an old quilt to cover her up. She didn’t move. Shuffling quickly through the rooms, the teenager searched for the first aid kit, knowing that Oliver had kept one somewhere. He found it in the bathroom. By the time he had made it back Wade was entering from the kitchen, his head buried in a magazine.


“Hey dude, you haven’t seen my…” and then his voice trailed off as he noticed the nearly naked teenage girl lying on their couch. “You’re dead.”


Mason ignored him and went to kneel beside Anna, examining the wounds, and opening the kit. The scars looked pretty severe. She needed a doctor, but all she had was him. Wade continued to ramble in the background.


“Sarah is going to shoot you! Don’t you ever listen? And I quote -"


“No more dogs.” The feminine voice sounded beside them. Sarah’s blue eyes glared down at the injured girl and then flashed to Mason, the anger inside them burning. But Mason wasn’t scared of the prissy, blonde girl. Right now his only concern was Anna.


“I couldn’t just leave her out there.” he muttered as he began to clean the wounds. Anna groaned as the harsh liquid stung her. He placed his hand on her shoulder, trying to comfort her.


“Well she can’t stay here.” Sarah muttered, crossing her arms.


“There’s barely enough room for the four of us.” Mason rolled his eyes. He knew that Oliver would understand, and more than likely vouch for him when he got back. Naturally, Oliver liked Mason. The two males were so alike they were practically brothers.


The teen remained quiet as he worked quickly to put on the bandages. Anna was still bleeding pretty badly. But at least now the wounds wouldn’t get infected. She was a strong girl. Mason had hardly met her but he could just tell. Kind of like the way one looks into the sky and just knows a storm is coming.


“So, what’s her name?” Wade asked curiously, taking a seat on the arm of the couch. Another snarl escaped Sarah’s lips as she stomped off to her room. If there was something the two boys had learned about Sarah, it was that she usually got her way because she was the only girl.  But this time Mason was determined to not let that happen.


“Anna.” Mason answered after hearing her bedroom door slam. When he had finished, Mason pulled the quilt up around her and gently stroked her hair.


Then the front door swung open, bringing in a warm summer breeze. Oliver stood there with a large bag of groceries in each hand. As usual, a small smile was painted across his face. Then his eyes fell to Anna, and he frowned. He looked to Mason, to Wade and back again. His brown eyes staring down into his. With a sigh, he continued to the kitchen.


Mason didn’t hesitate to follow.


Several moments after that the boy only helped the alpha unload the groceries. He wanted to wait for Oliver to bring it up first. But of course, Oliver didn’t and Mason began to grow impatient.


“I found her in the middle of Amberstone.” He began as he attempted to shove a carton of milk into the already crammed refrigerator. “She was practically bleeding to death.”


The older male didn’t say anything as he put away the canned vegetables.


“Listen, Oliver. I don’t think she has a place to stay.” Mason blurted out, this time standing in Oliver’s path. He was going to have to make him listen. “And even if she did I don’t think there’s anybody that can help her with."


“You can’t just make those assumptions Mason. We can’t just take her in. She’s not some lost puppy.” Mason looked away. He understood that. Oliver ran a hand through his dark tangled hair. “She can stay here tonight but tomorrow we have to find her family.”


The teenager nodded and moved out of Oliver’s way.


“Thank you, Oliver.” He said as the male moved past him and disappeared down the hallway. At least he was being somewhat reasonable, Mason decided. Not many newbies made it past the first transformation. Not on their own anyways.


Finally being able to relax, the boy took a seat on the chair opposite the couch. Wade glanced at him and shook his head.


“You know we can’t keep her.” Wade stated. And Mason nodded like he had when Oliver had said the words. “Sarah said it, there’s no room. Besides, she’d probably be better off where ever she came from.” Mason kept quiet. Because he didn’t truly believe that. And neither did Wade.


© 2010 pesternomia


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

oooo i like :) keep it up :)

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

349 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 9, 2010
Last Updated on July 17, 2010
Tags: werewolves


Author

pesternomia
pesternomia

Stratford, OK



About
just a small town girl (LIVING IN A LONELY WORLD! ahem, sorry.) with big dreams, who hates caps. not as in the hats, but as in the letters. i love hats. i recently bought a fedora. not sure what that.. more..

Writing
September September

A Chapter by pesternomia


Animosity Animosity

A Chapter by pesternomia