The Weight of Your Soul

The Weight of Your Soul

A Story by Chace Peckham

Does your soul have weight? I’m going to get pretty theoretical and say yes. Ever since I read Dan Brown’s new book, The Lost Symbol, I have been thinking about an idea that he talks about. In the book, a female character is a scientist at The Institute of Noetic Sciences; she has been doing an experiment that basically concludes by determining that a soul has mass. Think about that for a second. Your soul, commonly thought of an abstract image of yourself, is actually matter. It weighs some amount that is very minute, but is still there. Now I have no idea if scientists have actually proven this or not, but it’s another interesting thing to think about.


Say your soul does have mass. Where does it go when you die? Where is it stored in you while you’re alive? Ha. That’s something I have no idea about but I like to think about it. From my understanding there are two views that are most probable. One, your soul is held as a different form; it is not solid, liquid, gas or plasma, and it leaves your body through a dimension that is not perceptible from any of the current human senses. Very theoretical I know. The other mindset is that your soul leaves your body and goes to the afterlife you believe in. Whether it is heaven, hell, purgatory, reincarnation, or you going to Mars, the idea is that it leaves you and goes somewhere else. Both of these cases could be correct at the same time.


Another fun idea to ponder is asking yourself, “Does your soul have an effect on the world, in a sense, does it have weight on the world?” People live their lives for a copious amount of reasons. Some want to make a positive effect on the world, some want to live their life and not be affected by anyone. There are people that love to serve and give, and there are the antitheses of these kinds of people as well. Ask yourself again, “Does your soul have weight on the world?” Yes it does. Your actions affect more people than you think. Let’s say you go to a job interview. You get there and there are 3 other people waiting to be interviewed. It’s your turn. You do an incredible job, and you immediately receive the position. Now just by that small decision on your part to come well prepared to this interview and do a stellar job, you have now affected at least 4 people. The individual(s) that interviewed you have now become inspired again to come to work, because of your passion and you have helped them find a new motivation to be successful in their occupation. Also, the three people that you beat out for the job who knows what kind of families they have to feed and provide for. They now have to look for another position; maybe take a part-time job in the future to have some income. It’s crazy to think about how that small action on your part affected at least 4 people.


So yes, your soul has weight. This concept is very important to continually think about. Your decisions, your conscience, your mistakes have an effect on a lot of people.

© 2011 Chace Peckham


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

71 Views
Added on July 27, 2011
Last Updated on July 27, 2011