Looking Through the Mirror

Looking Through the Mirror

A Story by Chace Peckham

Let’s step back and take a look in the mirror. Are you the person you want to be? Facetious, don’t answer that. Seriously though, let’s take a glimpse at our mirror images and understand how important self-reflection is. For an individual to know where to go in life, they must first take a deep look inside and understand where they are. Which most of you know, but what I don’t understand is why people are so extremely inquisitive about other people’s flaws and misjudgments. How much easier is it for an individual to pass off judgment of their self towards their neighbor’s errors? Please people look inside yourself and take heed in your own problems and fallacies before you ever judge others.


Sorry for that tangent, I cannot stand when people pass judgment on others. Transitioning from individuals judging others to what you as a person should actually care about when looking inside oneself starts with the mirror. The mirror, as some people know, can be a crutch of superficial wonderment, but in this case it is my saving grace. I have learned throughout my years that there really is only one person to please, and that is the one looking back at you in the mirror. Self-reflection and even writing down what you would like to change in yourself is important to your overall attainment of excellence, or close to it. Excellence, to you, can only be defined by you. You’re the only one that can and should judge your route to your goals in life. The only thing you have to answer to is the image reflecting back in the mirror.


I have been through situations in the past where I have tried to prove myself to everyone that surrounded me; I wanted nothing more than other people to be happy with my actions and thoughts. I was continuously wondering what I could do to appease people. I was happy when others weren’t disappointed with me, but when they were judging me and saying I was an awful person, I was at the lowest points of my life. Now, I’ve realized but not yet fully developed thea theory that the only person that I need to make happy is staring back at me in the mirror. Why should I be worried or stressed about how others judge or view me, that’s their prerogative. I need to be focused on being myself and fulfilling my goals I plan to accomplish.


Any one listening will understand throughout this blog that I have learned from others. I learn from quotes, books and theories of other people that have lived in this world of ours. Here is a poem given to me from a great friend of mine when I was in a time of turmoil.


“The Man in the Glass” �" Dale Wimbrow

When you get what you want in your struggle for self
And the world makes you king for a day,
Just go to a mirror and look at yourself,
And see what that man has to say.

For it isn’t your father or mother or wife,
Whose judgment upon you must pass;
The fellow whose verdict counts most in your life
Is the one staring back from the glass.

He’s the fellow to please, never mind all the rest.
For he’s with you clear up to the end,
And you’ve passed the most dangerous, difficult test
If the man in the glass is your friend.

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years.
And get pats on the back as you pass,
But your final reward will be the heartaches and tears
If you’ve cheated the man in the glass.”

© 2011 Chace Peckham


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

66 Views
Added on July 27, 2011
Last Updated on July 27, 2011