Why Reinvent the Wheel? Because I want to!

Why Reinvent the Wheel? Because I want to!

A Story by Chace Peckham

In life you have defining moments such as, when you get your driver’s license, when you become an adult, when you leave home for the first time, when you have to actually grow up, etc. I have a theory that in life you reinvent yourself depending on your surroundings. The different stages of life bring new dilemmas, new knowledge, and new experiences. With these astounding new additions to your life you create a new you. When you leave high school and go to college or begin the workforce you have the opportunity to create a new you. You have new friends, new daily rituals, and new obligations. The ability to redefine your life is exciting to me.


Think about the ability of being whoever you want to be and having the ability to change your life in a single moment. Becoming whoever you want to be. It’s the same way when you travel. If you go to Las Vegas for a week you can become a high roller in the casinos, live lavishly and eat the best food. You can travel to Europe and become a random tourist in the cast of shadows and fit in with the rest of the English speaking foreigners enjoying the extravagant architecture of Rome and Prague. It’s exciting to have the ability to change who you are just by changing your surroundings.


This theory applies to your everyday life as well. It might not be an eye opening moment that gives you the opportunity to create a “better” life. It might just be that you are tired of living in the status quo. So you meet new friends that have great jobs and are ambitious. You begin to participate in new activities, like sailing and golf. With every new person you meet you have the immediate ability to become the person you actually aspire to be. This brings me to the resounding thought behind this theory, the people that surround you create your life.


If you surround yourself with people that are ambitious and outgoing, you’re going to become that person. If you place yourself in surroundings that have you being a part of illegal behavior and crime; you will be submerged into that same lifestyle. However, I always believe you have the ability to relinquish yourself from that lifestyle with one single moment, meeting the person you want to be. You have the ability to reinvent yourself at will, just by meeting a new person who you aspire to be.


The point of this is to look at your life and decide whether you’re content on what you have created, and if so keep doing what you are doing. If you’re not happy, reinvent yourself.

© 2011 Chace Peckham


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

95 Views
Added on July 27, 2011
Last Updated on July 27, 2011