What Type of Homeless Person Would You Be?

What Type of Homeless Person Would You Be?

A Story by Chace Peckham

The thought of becoming homeless to some may be a horrific idea. Most people think that you become homeless from not being able to pay your bills, including your mortgage or rent payment. Some people choose to be homeless for a plethora of reasons. I ask you the question, “What type of homeless person would you be?”


The question is an interesting one. It makes you look at your life and truly think about who you are. I have basically narrowed down homeless people into two unique categories: Urban and Rural. There are the urban homeless people that you interact with, you see on the side of the road, you give a dollar to, etc. There are obviously many types of urban homeless people, but these are the people that choose to live in the streets. Then there are the rural homeless people that you rarely see. These people live in a unique area that is away from people. They enjoy having a simple life, whether it’s living in the trees in a forest or living on a deserted island.


The rural homeless people decide to be nomadic. They live in the trees, build a shelter with what surrounds them. They survive on the fruits of the land that surrounds them. They hunt for their food, find their own fresh water, and travel where the food is. The rural homeless people don’t have a chance to leave their nomadic lifestyle. They don’t worry about money. They don’t need anything artificial nor do they want to live with society.


The urban homeless people decide that they can get their life back in order by panhandling, working day to day, or accepting their life on the street. Being an urban homeless person you live on the streets. You live in a cardboard box, in a homeless shelter or in a very low class apartment. You do have the ability to better your life and save your money and potentially make a name for yourself.


So you decide. Whether you would accept the life in the woods living in a solid shelter, hunting for you own food, and living away from society, or to live on the streets, make ends meet, and hopefully save enough money to get back on your feet.


Now I’m not too sure what the type of homeless person you choose to be and how it relates to your life, but I thought that this was an interesting way to look at what’s important. A stable shelter, stable food, and no social life, or a struggle to survive, having to work extremely hard, and have the potential to get back on your feet. In the end it is your decision.

© 2011 Chace Peckham


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

65 Views
Added on July 27, 2011
Last Updated on July 27, 2011