...missing Prof K R Rajagopal

...missing Prof K R Rajagopal

A Story by Darshan

A great scientist, engineer, philosopher, guide and friend Prof K R Rajagopal passed away three days ago. I am still not able to believe and accept this fact, but it is the sad reality. Some spiritual men tried consolidating, but I cannot help missing him.


Prof K R Rajagopal was an objective man of high virtue. Worked very hard to achieve a real change in the world. It was not unusual to see him lost in research at 3 am in his office. From designing machines for real world applications to innovating solutions for electric mobility, he applied his mind in every direction. His forte was Electric Machines and drives, and was in fact, one of the best machine designer in the world.


As a teacher, his education standards stood high. He wouldn’t preach mediocrity inside the classrooms. He expected the outstanding ideas from the best minds of the country. He turned classes into discussion forums, created curiosity and threw unparalleled challenges to the minds. Our class at IIT struggled to score marks above zero, in tests conducted by him. I remember once the class average was even negative! He tested real intelligent questions and expected exceptional replies. Outside the classrooms, he challenged and beat each of the young students at the badminton court. His office was full of awards and trophies.


Philosophically, he was frank and fearless figure in expressing opinions. In a time when pseudo-intellects remained neutral, he was one of the few people who stood by my side on a silent protest against the highest authorities for an irrational decision. I deeply respect him for the strength he provided in difficult times.


In research, he insisted on originality. He encouraged new ideas and didn’t compromise on absolute standards. To give “perfection” to the research and give me more time for the same, he encouraged to withdraw 3 accepted IEEE IAS conference publications at a time when I had a visa stamped on the passport and flight tickets were ready. He believed true research means much more than few simulations and experiments. Very few profs stand this tall in virtue.


Personally, he was a down-to-earth guy and was fun to be with. Most of his class ended with laughter. He loved to discuss and solve personal issues of students over coffee break. He enjoyed laughing like a child and people always saw a smile on his face every day.


That smile will stay forever in my heart, and so will be him. Though his heartbeats have stopped, the heartbeats of his designs will continue.


One of them is in space, moving the gyroscope of an ISRO satellite.


Rest in peace Professor K R Rajagopal. I will always cherish your last words.


© 2016 Darshan


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

530 Views
Added on September 18, 2016
Last Updated on September 18, 2016

Author

Darshan
Darshan

Surat, Hindu, India



About
Hey...I am Darshan M. Pandit. I'm the kind of a guy who likes to explore knowledge! (I've burnt my fingers many times in doing so...but still I love it) I may not understand the language of money.... more..

Writing