Reverse Existentialism

Reverse Existentialism

A Poem by Olivia

Do you know what waits on the other side of all of that panic?
Nothing.
 
There is no enlightenment there, 
no feeling, 
no truth. 
It is uncaring. It is inanimate. 
You are animate. 
So panic. 
You don’t want to die. Not really. Not yet. 
Maybe one day you’ll be ready. 
You will have no expectations, so it won’t disappoint. 
The lukewarm water will take you back. 
And you’ll leave all the answers you never found
Where you never looked
Where you always were. 
But go there too early and you’ll learn nothing. 
It doesn’t have the answers you seek. 
It doesn’t have anything.
It is inanimate.
You are animate.

© 2014 Olivia


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

If you don't mind me asking, why is this called reverse existentialism? It's seems to be very much in the existentialist vein, meaning that it affirms the old existentialist tenant of existence preceding essence. In other words, we come into existence without any larger meaning to guide us, so consequently we have to find our own meaning in life. Since this poem seems to be focusing on that, I'm just wondering why you have "reverse" in your title.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Olivia

9 Years Ago

I called it reverse existentialism to challenge people's conception of existentialism. Existentialis.. read more
Strangely, I find this very life-affirming. I am not sure that everyone would agree. I think some people would consider this depressing. I feel that this piece acknowledges problems, pain, trauma, fear - but then continues walking onwards.

This is strength. This is metal tried in the fire. Evolution through adversity.

To understand and see light, one must acknowledge the darkness. And vice versa, of course. it is folly to assume that it does not exist. Realize its existence, so you can face it and overcome it. In that, this poem somehow reminds me of the Litany Against Fear. Fear is indeed the mind-killer, and the logical and rational dissection of the subject matter in this piece shows that Mind is the fear-killer as well :)

No constructive criticism to offer, I'm afraid - I think this piece sits powerfully as it is.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

403 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 12, 2014
Last Updated on December 12, 2014