RISING RAIN

RISING RAIN

A Poem by R J Askew
"

A mad conceit. At first I thought it was about someone else, thought twice about bothering to post it. But then I realised it applied to me the more so. I bows to you.

"

Up from the ground, up-rising rain

Up-streaking-up before your eyes

You watch a puddle vanish rise

Up-streaking-up, into the clouds

Your sanity divesting shrouds

In rising rain you're made insane

Up from the ground, up-rising rain

Your talent's deeply shallow vain

A thing reversing into clouds

In sheets of thin prosaic shrouds

You blindly see your river rise

Your vaunting vanity up flies

Up from the ground, up-rising rain

Up-streaming-up in failure's pain

~

  

© 2011 R J Askew


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was interesting.
The reversed view was amazing.

Wonderful

Posted 12 Years Ago


:D :D :D
I'm not usually a fan of rhyming poems, but this is definitely okay by me. More than okay, it's pretty darn spiffy.
"Up-streaking-up" I really like that. And "vaunting vanity".
If I made a favorites folder, I would definitely add this.
Thank you for totally inspiring me to push myself to write with even more passion.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I've never devoted much time to poetry, but I do love a good poem, and this one is good. The cadence is top notch, reminiscent of Tyger, Tyger. I'm old-fashioned enough to love rhyming, and the rhyming here is also top notch, emphasizing the vain pain in the rain.

Posted 12 Years Ago


you have a wonderful way of playing with words and twists- "Your sanity divesting shrouds, In rising rain you're made insane"; sanity torn in shreds ,flies with clouds and you are rendered insane; again "Your talent's deeply shallow vain,A thing reversing into clouds"-pride simply reverses back as clouds,.."Your vaunting vanity up flies, Up from the ground, up-rising rain,Up-streaming-up in failure's pain"-finally vanity dissipates, rendering you humble ...to sum up it defines transformation of a vain person to a down to earth being, just like rain reverses to clouds...hope am correct in understanding :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Now you know where we live there is going to be a lot of up-rising rain. And I mean that in more ways than one. Twisty, turny and indeed up rising.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Interesting.I read a couple of the poems and you stick to your style,using a lot of fragmentation and traditional couplets. Liked the internal rhyming. Good work.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is amazing, and perfectly twisted, into a strong poem, pure! I love it.

Posted 12 Years Ago


interesting twist with your Van Gough of words

Posted 13 Years Ago


You had me at the title.

Posted 13 Years Ago


So true! Our greatest thoughts, often, arise from the mirky puddles of life that we find ourselves in, from time to time. A wonderful write!!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1464 Views
31 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on September 7, 2011
Last Updated on September 7, 2011
Previous Versions

Author

R J Askew
R J Askew

United Kingdom



About
Busy re-writing a new story. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..