Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Kristikinzz

 

Ah, the infamous sixth sense. The simple, yet unexplainable moments that almost knock you off your feet with their pure realism. For most people, it’s the moment where that one shocking realization finds its way through that tangled mess that most call a mind. I’m actually becoming quite accustomed to these feelings, as I get them a lot, and have learned to pay attention to them. I assume I’ve decided it’s best to listen mostly because a large majority of the things I deal with daily, are things “normal” people couldn’t even begin to fathom. I guess you could say I’m unnatural, a living catastrophe magnet. It’s quite ridiculous, really. All I can do each and every day is hope for it to get better. And you know what? It never does, never has, and never will, so that’s why I tend to take any hint I can on what I should or shouldn’t do…“Time to come back to reality, Brooke,” I tell myself.
I stood there, sure not to make any sudden movements. I was scared that if I did, it would trigger something inside of him. The last thing I wanted to happen was for him to go through with it. “I knew it”, I kept repeating to myself. If I had mentioned it to him when we were standing on the opposing side of the railing maybe he would’ve been honest, opened up to me. But just because I was being ignorant, now I had to stand here and watch as Nick slowly approached my boyfriend, who was perched on top of a railing. This particular railing happened to be placed in the center of the mall, and was roughly 20 feet off the ground. He was sitting on top of it, swinging his legs forward and his head back, like a carefree child playing on a swing set. All of us knew though, this wasn’t the same at all. He wanted to jump, and if someone didn’t do something soon, he would.
I watched as he climbed down from the railing to go sit and talk to Nick, who was his best friend. Nick shot me a glance, his eyes explaining that for the time being, he was okay. In a second though, he got up to come talk to me. “He has a problem.” He explained slowly. “But, he doesn’t want to tell you because he’s afraid of freaking you out.”
“Nick, I’m already freaked out. This isn’t the first time he’s pulled this. It’s my fault.” The whole time I was talking, I was choking back tears. There was a pause, and then Nick’s soft voice broke the silence.
“He…he wants to jump, Broke. He said he really cares about you, but nothing else. He’s just tired of trying”
“N…Nick…” I said stuttering as I threw my face into my hands and started crying instantly. What should I do? I thought to myself as I desperately searched my mind for the answer.
I found my legs, finally, and hobbled over to where Cole was standing, who was looking over the railing, shaking uncontrollably. He had that look in his eyes, the one I, myself, knew way too well. This look, more than any other, scared me half to death. Now he looked at me, and saw the fresh tears that ran down my pale face. He got a new look on his face, and I couldn’t bear to see that either, so I just looked down at my feet that were trembling inside my shoes. All I could think to do at that moment was hug him. He stood there puzzled, as I explained to him that if he jumps, I jump.
“No.” He said as he went to lift up my chin so our eyes would meet.
“You probably think I’m being ridiculous, huh?” I said to him.
“Pretty much,” he responded calmly. I buried my head deeper into his chest at that moment and made sure to get a tight grasp on the front of his shirt. It was still damp from the rain, I noted.
I held onto him and noticed the violent shaking that overcame his whole body and seemed to jump to mine. I had to keep a tight grasp at all times, fully knowing what would happen if I let go.
“Let’s go sit by Nick. Please, just don’t do this.” I pleaded, desperate now.
”I’m not really gonna jump ya know…” I lifted my heavy head to get a good look at him.
“Then why the hell are you still doing this to me?” I wailed as I collapsed on the ground and tears ran ferociously down my face.
“It would cause too much of a scene, to do it right here and all.” He smirked. All I could do was look up at him and wonder how I hadn’t fully seen his side of him before. I let out one last weak
“Please Cole” as I nodded my head towards Nick.
“Alright,” He said, looking over at me, probably to check my current condition. I made sure to wipe the last of my tears from my face and then I faked a weak smile. We silently walked over and sat down next to Nick and all of our possessions. “Thank you”, I whispered. Not even sure who I was trying to talk to, but I knew it was necessary. I knew it, because he was still sitting next to me. I had another chance to save him. All hope is not lost, and in the end, maybe everything will turn out okay. But then maybe, I thought…

I had never been so wrong in my life.

 



© 2009 Kristikinzz


Author's Note

Kristikinzz
I need help on how to separate the dialogue!
I'm horrible at that, and help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, any other tips? Do you like it so far?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

32 Views
Added on July 15, 2009
Last Updated on July 15, 2009