Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Laura Edwards
"

The city of Moncharine has slowly succumbed to darkness, with corrupt politicians and a thriving industry of personal pleasure. There are some who remember the glory days. And that�s exactly what they all aim to bring back; damn the consequences.

"

 

Arguing will be around for as long as humans roam the planet. People will always disagree with one another as a natural part of the human nature. There will always be divisions in the constant whirl of opinions. Most hope that mankind can resolve these disagreements peacefully, particularly when an entire community - maybe even country - finds its fate hanging in the balance. Innocent lives find themselves in jeopardy while politicians bicker and supposedly make decisions.

 

Sometimes these situations work out fine.

 

Sometimes the people are not so lucky.

 

The many people of Moncharine are part of that unfortunate group. Standing for nearly 450 years, the capital city of the same name is indeed a glorious and successful one, brimming with power and riches. The economy is doing quite well, and it seems that people are getting along splendidly. But when a mass of people gathers, there is discord with the harmony. Although the country itself is known for exceptional agriculture, beautiful countryside, and is an ideal location for a summer retreat, the city of Moncharine has developed an underground reputation of darkness. The upper-class is said to be full of uncaring and self-centered individuals, greedy and choosing to completely overlook those less fortunate than they. The city's poor are as significant as the sewer rats with which they share the shabby back alleys. The industry of sex thrives beneath the image projected to the outside world, and not far behind comes alcoholism and violence. Lower-class parents must work hard to keep their children shielded from the dirty work that can occur just outside their home. Politicians succumb to the temptation of gold and power, becoming corrupt and losing sight of their duty to the people. Tensions are high in Moncharian society, and only the most naïve would doubt it.

 

Rebellion doesn’t particularly help calm said tension.

 

They call themselves the Faction. The group is composed of rebels who frown upon what the city has become. Among the lower-class and part of the middle, they do good work. They provide food, clothing, shelter (when their location is unthreatened), and occasionally even medicine. They want to help people get back on their feet, which would allow them to make something out of themselves, like how it used to be. Moncharine was not always a fortress of personal decay. The Faction aims to restore the city to its former glory, back on the right path. Honorable as the group’s intentions may be, they are still rebels. Some of their recruits have had notable run-ins with the law. The Faction has been known to resort to extreme tactics occasionally as well, and several of Moncharine’s latest arrests were made for suspected ties to the group. The government is in shambles, constantly at odds over how to handle their outspoken opposition.

 

The gallows now stand in Founders’ Square permanently, serving as a constant reminder of the city’s private war.



© 2008 Laura Edwards


Author's Note

Laura Edwards
Yes, I know it's written in first person. I wanted to introduce the reader to the situation in this prologue, then delve into the dirt once the scene's been set. Trust me; it gets better. :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

wow, this is amazing.
the whole story line is incredibly interesting.
totally love it. :)

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 11, 2008
Last Updated on April 12, 2008


Author

Laura Edwards
Laura Edwards

Wapakoneta, OH



About
Let's see. Start with my pros or my cons... :D I really, really like myself. I'm not egotistical or arrogant; I'm just all for self-acceptance and security. And I don't like to listen to problems, u.. more..

Writing
Glory Glory

A Book by Laura Edwards