Best Intentions

Best Intentions

A Story by Dustin Chang

On TV, there was a white polar bear swimming, trying desperately to keep afloat in the vast arctic sea. It hit Marvin Sandovsky like a brick. It hurt him right in the heart, as he grabbed his hairy chest and grumbled in pain. The clinical, inhuman narration went on; “…as the sea temperature rises due to the global warming, these polar bears lose their habitat, the solid ice…this polar bear will drown in exhaustion if she doesn’t find solid ground…”
Marvin got up from his couch, unable to keep his rage at the TV set. He almost threw the beer can at it, then thought better of it and took a swig. He picked up the phone angrily instead. At the other end of the line was Dom, a distant cousin of Marvin’s ex wife, the smart one who climbed his way up to be working for the government as a deputy, in some environmental agency.

Hey cousin, listen. I have this great idea!
Marvin, it’s three in the morning. Whatever it is, can it wait until the morning?
No time to waste, son. The bears are drowning!
Huh?

There, Marvin laid down his grand plan. Simply put, it was a plan for mass transportation of polar bear population from the melting arctic sea to Antarctica, where there is a permanent landmass. The Polar Bear Exodus, if you will. Dom, who  were used to listening to Marvin’s wacky ideas over the years- from a plastic bag dispensing device that pet owners can directly strap on their dogs' behinds, so they don’t ever have to pick up after their dogs(illustrations not available at this time), to farming alligators in city sewer systems for vermin control purposes, he waved off the exodus plan and went back to sleep.
Then, in the morning at breakfast, the more Dom thought about it, the more feasible the Sandovsky’s plan became. He told his wife about it. She shouted back from the kitchen, “That’s a great idea hon!” With this encouragement, he then proceeded to call his boss, who in turn, called his boss and so on and so forth.

It happened to be that the political climate was just right. Six month later, the Project Sandovsky: the Bear Exodus, began. It was difficult task to round up all the big, grumpy fuzzy white animals to say the least, let me tell you. It was costly and it was bloody. But everyone involved was very passionate about the cause.

The man behind the plan. Marvin became a celebrity over night. But alas, the history will not be kind to him. In two years time, the Project Sandovsky caused the extinction of the penguin species in Antarctica.
 

© 2009 Dustin Chang


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice story. Too bad we haven't thought of a plan thus far to save the bears. Maybe someone will. I really enjoyed this little story. And thanks for sharing!

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

171 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 30, 2009
Last Updated on April 1, 2009

Author

Dustin Chang
Dustin Chang

Brooklyn, NY



About
Not much to tell. Born in Korea. Dabbling in filmmaking and writing. Studied painting in high school, literature and film in college. Married with two cats. Live in Brooklyn, NY. more..

Writing