Five Blocks of Suspense

Five Blocks of Suspense

A Story by Dustin Chang

He must've been a rookie cop. The leather clip on his gun holster was undone. The utility belt that the holster was on hung asymmetrically on his thick waste. They never tighten them, the cops. I guess they make them look fat.

With his back turned on us, the rookie cop strolled along the sidewalk in front. I approached him real close. Without much thinking, I extended my hand, going for the gun. It was practically falling off of his a*s. It was more tempting than that red emergency break handle you see dangling in subway cars. My socialist Syrian friend, a known cop hater and fireball at anti-war demonstrations was horrified and giddy at the same time watching all this, while walking next to me. Literally, my fingers were just inches away from the gun. We kept up this delicate balancing act for about five street blocks.

If I ever grabbed the gun and he turned around I'd just say, you dropped this, I thought to myself. Would he arrest me or thank me? was the question that was going through my head.

My friend was sweating bullets the whole time and called me mad afterwards. Apparently we passed some parked police cruisers along the way. I was so zoned in, I didn't even notice. I never grabbed the cop's gun. He never turned around.

© 2008 Dustin Chang


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was freaky fun. At times, we all like to live on the edge, and this story took me there. Guess what, my daddy is a highway patrolman, but that is a story you'll hear soon.

I did enjoy the storyline.

Susie

Posted 15 Years Ago


Well I think you probably would have gotten arrested and assaulted for trying to play with his gun. I believe I saw this scenario played out in a movie I just @ the moment can't think of which one. I like the story it's a good "what if" and I think everyone has thoughts about doing something crazy that no one else would try in a million years. We all wanna try something and get away with it, that's where the rush is @.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I think I've heard about this Syrian friend before ;)

Again another interesting little dilemma and observation from the streets of the city and the suspense of a possible incident to boot. It does feel ripe for adapting into a scene for a short film too.

Notice the last line, second paragraph -
I'd say balancing act sounds better than balance act, but neither are incorrect.

Posted 15 Years Ago


i might have done it but then again i like to do things that could ultimately get me into trouble
its the rush i guess adreniline is addictive; very.
Great story BTW :)

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

191 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 25, 2008
Last Updated on October 22, 2008

Author

Dustin Chang
Dustin Chang

Brooklyn, NY



About
Not much to tell. Born in Korea. Dabbling in filmmaking and writing. Studied painting in high school, literature and film in college. Married with two cats. Live in Brooklyn, NY. more..

Writing