I could do that

I could do that

A Story by Dustin Chang
"

Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest

"

Every fourth of July, people from all over the world come to Coney Island, NY to witness the most stupendously gastronomical event: Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest. What a way to celebrate the independence! The current world record is held by Joey Chesnut, who ate his way through the top with 66 hot dogs in 12 minutes. Apparently he is a member of IFOCE(International Federation of Competitive Eating). He beat the 6 time champ, Takeru Kobayashi, a 130 pound frail looking Japanese kid two years in a row now- it was a tie this year, both consuming astonishing 59 dogs in 10 minutes but Chestnut triumphed in a 5 hot dog runoff. ESPN started broadcasting the event.

...

I was always known for eating my food really fast when I was a child. I took pride in that(what boy wouldn't?). My brother and I used to race in restaurants. And of course, I won most of the times(my brother used to throw up afterwards). Eating hot dogs? It seems pretty easy to me. If that skinny Japanese kid can do it, surely I can. I tell my lady about my desire to enter the famed contest. She grabs my wrist real hard and says, "If you ever did that, no question I'd divorce you!".

O crushed dreams!

© 2008 Dustin Chang


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A fun story. No embedded question or revelation. :-)

Sorry Dustin, but I'm in agreement with your wife. No, no, no! hotdog contest.

Susie

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hot Dog glory and divorce? Hmmm, it's a hard road to travel. I laughed at this, which is good. I'd take out the THE in front of ESPN. Even though it is grammatically correct (I believe), no one says it.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I'm laughing. Those last few words really got me. Wives just don't understand these things, now do they? A well-written and entertaining little write, Dustin.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

171 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 31, 2008
Last Updated on August 2, 2008

Author

Dustin Chang
Dustin Chang

Brooklyn, NY



About
Not much to tell. Born in Korea. Dabbling in filmmaking and writing. Studied painting in high school, literature and film in college. Married with two cats. Live in Brooklyn, NY. more..

Writing