Iron Man

Iron Man

A Story by Dustin Chang

There's been a construction going on in my building at work for last six months and two elevators have been taken over by burley construction guys moving stuff in and out of the building. They are thick necked, red faced big men wearing tiny hard hats and suspenders and only speak amongst themselves in gruff languages as if others don't even exist. To protect insides of the elevators in a pitiful attempt, they put up drywalls. It's been getting banged up, and graffiti-ed over and generally trashed in the past few months. I noticed that majority of those crudely sharpied drawings are of penises. Why are those construction workers so obsessed with gigantic penises? The question kept me up at night. I gotta ask someone about this, I thought.

Last Friday, I was running late. I pushed UP button incessantly. The elevator door slid open and a big construction worker in a yellow hard hat looked up from his muddy work boots. I squeezed in and pushed 9th floor button. Mind you, the elevator at my job is perhaps the slowest elevator in the whole world. He reached over to my side and pushed 8 with his gigantic thumb grunting, leaving a greasy thumb print on the button. I gathered up the courage- this was my chance.
Iron Man is opening this weekend.”
He looked at me with bewildered eyes and raised his hand. I thought he was gonna hit me.
“F**k yeah!!” he said. And I hi-fived him. Then he got off on 8th smiling.

© 2008 Dustin Chang


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

179 Views
Added on May 21, 2008
Last Updated on November 17, 2008

Author

Dustin Chang
Dustin Chang

Brooklyn, NY



About
Not much to tell. Born in Korea. Dabbling in filmmaking and writing. Studied painting in high school, literature and film in college. Married with two cats. Live in Brooklyn, NY. more..

Writing