Seven Minutes in Heaven

Seven Minutes in Heaven

A Screenplay by Dustin Chang

INT. CLOSET - NIGHT
We see a glimpse of a GIRL with dark hair as she is quickly pushed in to a closet. The door closes with a bang. Darkness. Giggling of BOYS and GIRLS is heard outside the door.


BOY (O.S.)
Come on, get to it. Get busy!


More giggling.


After a while, we can just make out the silhouette of the girl as she tries to look through the crack of the door. The door knob rattles as she tries to turn it.


GIRL
Uhh. It's locked.


She turns to an UNSEEN BOY at the other end of the closet.


UNSEEN BOY
Um-hmm.


Silence.


GIRL
What do we do now? Make out?


A brief uncomfortable laughter from both.


BOY (O.S.)
Come on. You guys still have six more minutes.


More giggling. Silence again. We then hear heavy clothes on the hangers moving as the girl brushes against them to sit down.


GIRL
It smells funny in here.


UNSEEN BOY
The smell is the cheapest mode of time travel...


GIRL
What?


UNSEEN BOY
I guess the only mode...for now.


GIRL
(laughs)
Weirdo.


UNSEEN BOY
Just picture this.


CUT TO:


INT. BAKERY - DAY
A tall metal tray holder full of freshly baked bread. A BAKER's hands come in to frame with another tray full of bread and slides the tray in.


UNSEEN BOY (V.O.)
Remember when you were five, you smelled your first freshly baked bread from a bakery while holding your mom's hand, remember that?


CUT TO BLACK:


Sound of SEAGULLS and WAVES of the ocean fades up.


EXT. BEACH - DAY
An empty beach under the sunny sky.


UNSEEN BOY (V.O.)
Remember your first trip to the ocean? Remember that salty smell that filled the air?


CUT TO BLACK:


Sound of a puppy BARKING fades up.


EXT. BACKYARD - DAY
A dog poop on the grass.


UNSEEN BOY (V.O.)
Remember your first dog? How he pooped all over your backyard?


CUT TO BLACK:


Sound of water tap RUNNING.

INT. BATHROOM - DAY
Bathtub full of soap foam.


UNSEEN BOY (V.O.)
Remember the smell of the baby soap, remember that?


CUT TO BLACK:


Sound of Bach's Unaccompanied Cello Suite in G Major fades up.


INT. STUDY - DAY
Back to us, we see a big arm of a MAN in white sleeve on a mahogany desk holding a smoke pipe. The smoke rises as the man smokes off screen.


CUT TO BLACK:


UNSEEN BOY (V.O.)
Remember your grandfather's pipe? How he always smelled like smoke?


CUT TO BLACK:


Sound of Wind fades up.


INT. FORREST - DAY
Looming Douglas Furs slowly sway back and forth as the wind blows.


UNSEEN BOY (V.O.)
Remember the Summer camp in the mountains, and the smell of the forrest?


CUT TO BLACK:


INT. ROOM - DAY
A broad shouldered OLD LADY sits on a couch against the sunlit window in a cozy living room. She is looking at us smiling. She opens her arms as if to hug.


UNSEEN BOY (V.O.)
How about your grandma? Rememb--


Giggling of girls and boys.


CUT BACK TO:


INT. CLOSET - DAY
The closet door opens suddenly, revealing the girl and our narrator the unseen boy- a geeky looking kid with glasses sitting inside the closet. Sudden light blinds them. They are surrounded by OTHER TEENAGE BOYS and Girls.


BOY
Time's up!


The now-seen boy slowly gets up. Boys shake his hand and pat him on the back. More giggling. Sound fades out. The now seen boy looks back at the girl who is still sitting in the closet. She looks at him for a long time then smiles.


THE END

© 2008 Dustin Chang


My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Reviews

I remember reading somewhere that an amnesiac managed to recall scenes from his childhood using smell as the cue.

Interesting story-behind-the-story too, the creativity, and suprising maturity of children...

Posted 16 Years Ago


The scen was visual and powerful. I really love they way that the are brought back to all those memories, simply by smell.
Wonderful work

Posted 16 Years Ago


I really loved it, it was surprising using smell like that, but it works out so well. I know it is a script but more detail about the smells, like maybe how the smoke from the pipe lazily carries across the room. I think the having no names makes it rememberable, and I can just picture the shots of all the smells, especially the beach one.
Great job, I don't usually truly like something on here a lot :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

163 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 28, 2008
Last Updated on March 28, 2008

Author

Dustin Chang
Dustin Chang

Brooklyn, NY



About
Not much to tell. Born in Korea. Dabbling in filmmaking and writing. Studied painting in high school, literature and film in college. Married with two cats. Live in Brooklyn, NY. more..

Writing