Possession

Possession

A Story by nseddy
"

A friend of mine asked me to write a 800 word or less picture prompt challenge. Here is result:)

"

Jen and I had been talking for a while about doing this. It’s amazing what stupid things friends can talk each other into.  We finally worked up the courage earlier today and drove over after sunset.  The large granite front gate leading to the old Smithfield cemetery lies is before us.  This is the only way in and out as the cemetery as it’s enclosed by a towering Iron fence.  The crescent moon lights up the night sky hanging beyond the gate, illuminating the path before us. 

“Zack, this is really creepy.  Look at all those big bats flying around.  I hate bats.  They are like rats with wings.”

“Yeah this is a little creepier than I expected.  You wanna bail?  I won’t blame you if you do.”

“Nah, let’s go through and see what happens.”

“Ok.”

You see this was no normal creepy cemetery.   It was the oldest in the state.  Possibly in the country.  No one came here anymore to mourn loved ones.  No one came here period.  Everyone had heard a story, myth or wives tale about weird paranormal things that happened here.  For instance there was the time that those boys had dared Johnny Reagan to go into the cemetery and spend 15 minutes behind the gate.  He went in and came out wielding a machete massacring his friends waiting outside.  It was a bloody mess.  He was committed to the state hospital for the criminally insane and never spoke again. 

“Ok the rules are we go in and walk around for five minutes then we can leave together correct?” I said.

“Yes we talked about this ten times Zack.”  Jen let out a nervous giggle.

“Ok let’s get this over with.” I said grabbing Jen’s hand. 

“Don’t let go of me Zack.”

“I won’t.”

We stop at the precipice, at least that’s what it feels like.  Gazing beyond the gate, fog covers the ground around the hundreds of graves within view.  We hear the flapping of wings as more bats scatter after insects above us.  

Just then we step though and immediately notice, all goes quiet.  We could hear pin drop if one were to drop.  Walking deeper into the cemetery, I see something flash in the corner of my eye, my heads jerks towards the movement.  I don’t see anything.  Jen looks at me seeing the concern in my face.

“What’s wrong?”  She says.

“Nothing, I think my mind is playing tricks on me.”

               Continuing on, I hold Jen’s hand tight.  I have the feeling we were being watched but had no idea by who.  Again it could have been my imagination, I wasn’t sure.    There was no wind but the mist covering the ground swirls around our feet like it’s alive.  Suddenly, Jen is pulled from my grasp with a terrific force.  I look at her, seeing terror in her eyes as she flies through the air.  I turn and bolt after her, but whatever has her is moving too fast.   She disappears behind an enormous ancient Elm tree. At full speed I get tripped by something and go flying head first to the ground.  I try to turn over but I feel a powerful grip envelope my head smashing my face into the ground over and over again until I lose consciousness.

After a time I come to, but something is not right.  I am looking up at the dark night sky so I must be lying on my back.  I can see but I can’t seem to move my eyes, head or any of my limbs.  I hear some whispering or whimpering but can’t make out the words or where is coming from.  I try to call out Jens name but no sound comes from my mouth. 

My body stands up, someone or something is controlling me.  I try to fight it and I feel a heavy weight push back on my consciousness.   Concentrating I look out through my eyes and see Jen on the ground in front of a weathered grave stone.  I see the names “John Putnum and his beloved wife Rebecca RIP July 24 1614” on the stone.  I feel a strong force push me to a corner of what was my mind. 

“Rebecca, let’s go honey, we have been here too long.” Comes out of my mouth.

“John, yes it’s been 500 years, I can't wait to leave here and start fresh. Thank you Jen and Zack for giving us this opportunity.” She stands up holding my hand, smiling.

As we/they walk towards the gate, I try to fight back again, the force hits me hard and everything goes black.  What will we do now?  Will we be stuck like this, a prisoner in our own minds forever?

 

 

© 2014 nseddy


Author's Note

nseddy
Hi please let me know what you think?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I liked this! For one this is a fun way to start a story or challenge yourself so kudos to having your friend come up with such a great idea. Maybe we should all send each other pictures and challenge to write something for it. The story you came up with is gripping and I love the little details! It of course could use a little editing here and there but overall it is a great start to a story! Kind of wish you would touch up the ending so that it isn't so obvious what is happening and then continue the story! Would like to see what else happens on this adventure!


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

nseddy

10 Years Ago

Thanks Samantha for the kind words and suggestions. We do have a group for writing short stories wi.. read more
SamanthaMarie

10 Years Ago

Please do!



Reviews

I've never been to a cemetery for the creepy factor. . . see if I ever go now - I think that I've decided to be cremated!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

nseddy

10 Years Ago

Haha thanks for commenting Audrie!
Another enjoyable and splendid story-type write. I gaze beyond the gate to see forever gazing back. Bravo................

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

nseddy

10 Years Ago

Thanks for the review Sami:)
Sami Khalil

10 Years Ago

You are welcome...:)........................
I liked this! For one this is a fun way to start a story or challenge yourself so kudos to having your friend come up with such a great idea. Maybe we should all send each other pictures and challenge to write something for it. The story you came up with is gripping and I love the little details! It of course could use a little editing here and there but overall it is a great start to a story! Kind of wish you would touch up the ending so that it isn't so obvious what is happening and then continue the story! Would like to see what else happens on this adventure!


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

nseddy

10 Years Ago

Thanks Samantha for the kind words and suggestions. We do have a group for writing short stories wi.. read more
SamanthaMarie

10 Years Ago

Please do!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

223 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 21, 2014
Last Updated on May 21, 2014
Tags: paranormal ghosts possession

Author

nseddy
nseddy

Boston, MA



Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..