Sore Thumbs Aren't Grey

Sore Thumbs Aren't Grey

A Story by Diane Fisher
"

This was my first attempt at microfiction... it didn't turn out very micro, but it did turn out kind of cute. Lovie has a funny obsession with the color grey. 83

"

 

            “What do you mean, you’re not sure if we should go?” the larger of the girls protested.
            “Lovie…” Naomi reasoned, nervously pushing her glasses up her arched nose for the fifth time in the span of the discussion, “Dameka, love…”
            “That’s my name, yep.”
            “Listen, I love you…” the lanky Chinook girl stammered.
            “I knew that, too,” Dameka cracked, although her demeanor was far from playful, “Wasn’t that why we were going to a dance?”
            “Lovie, we’re going to stand out like a sore thumb.”
            “No we won’t. I’m wearing grey.”
            “What does that have to do with anything?” Naomi replied tersely.
            “Sore thumbs are red.”
            “It was a figure of speech!”
            Dameka raised her bulky shoulders in a nonchalant shrug, “Grey doesn’t stick out like a sore thumb. I mean, if you were planning on sewing your dress out of a rainbow flag, I might see your reason for concern…”
            “What are you talking about?”
            Dameka slapped a chocolate-colored hand over her mouth in feigned astonishment, “You were, weren’t you?! I know! I’ll find a grey dress for you to wear, too.”
            “That’s not the point at all,” Naomi glowered, though it was clear a smile was trying hard to break through her exasperation, “and besides, when was the last time you saw a grey dress?”
            “Last time I tried mine on!”
            “At a dance.”
            “…well, never.”
            “See!” Naomi’s face contorted with a grin disguised as a scowl.
            “But in my defense,” Dameka continued, “I haven’t been to a dance since 8th grade.”
            With that, Naomi finally broke, nearly doubling over in a fit of laughter forceful enough to send her glasses rolling across the floor to plant themselves in the middle of the room.
            Dameka’s thick arms engulfed her, and the mingling of both girls’ laughter filled the room. Between gasps of laughter, Naomi managed to huff out, “Okay… okay, you… win. We’ll go. We’ll go to the dance.”
            Regaining her composure, the cinnamon-skinned girl detangled herself from her companion’s grasp and strolled across the room to retrieve her glasses. Turning back before heading for the door, she called, “C’mon, Lovie! I’m off to find a rainbow flag and a dress pattern. Are you coming?”

© 2009 Diane Fisher


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is so cute :DDD I love that,
"Lovie, we're going to stand out like a sore thumb."
"No we won't. I'm wearing grey."
"What does that have to do with anything?" Naomi replied tersely.
"Sore thumbs are red."
"It was a figure of speech!"

So so funny! I was giggling the whole way through because that just sounds like something my lot of friends would say. Wonderful. xD

-Madeline

Posted 15 Years Ago


Hey, I read 'Quiet Day' and had to read more, I really love this piece. There is so much going on, yet you capture it all in such an effortless prose that makes this brilliant layered piece of writing so effective. A fantastic piece of microfiction, one of best short pieces I have read on this site for sure. Great write!




Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

127 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 6, 2009
Last Updated on May 6, 2009

Author

Diane Fisher
Diane Fisher

IN



About
Hi there, Diane here! I'm currently studying elementary education in college. I do a lot of art, both visual art and writing. I have well over 50 characters that I use in my art and writing, though I .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..