Chapter 1: Zoey ~

Chapter 1: Zoey ~

A Chapter by nicnatnoodles

Chapter 1: Zoey ~

 

“Zoey” Emma called out. Just ten more minutes. I heard her moving around in my room by my bed. “I know what you’re thinking. I don’t care. Wake up!” She removed the blanket and the pillows. The cold air clung to my legs and goose bumps arose on my legs. I silently groaned and continued to pretend I was asleep. “Fine, but you made me do it” her footsteps disappear. My body tensed up… oh no please Emma. I heard her running footsteps coming back towards my room and I froze. I jumped up as the ice cold water hit my entire body. Within seconds all my clothes were soaked. My hair was drenched, and I unfortunately was awake. “Oh come on, you know today is a big day” she smiled at me with a big smile. This was true, today all my dreams were coming true. A few months ago I was told I had received the Meyer Grant. It was basically college education with a free luxury condo in the Meyers household at the University. I know that this sounds like any ordinary scholarship but this scholarship is so selective and the education it gives you will make you start your career at a higher position with a well-known name better than those who’ve usually been working for years.

I was so excited about this that I finished packing all my stuff and loaded it into the U-Haul last night. Emma was already dressed and ready to go. She had black hair with bangs that came across her forehead. She was wearing a blue shirt with black jeans. She had her hair pulled back into a ponytail. She was one of my best friends and I knew almost everything about her.

She had a strange sense of humor. She didn’t have a lot of patience but I knew her well enough to know when to not push her buttons. I’ve been living with her for a few years. My mom decided her career was more important than raising a child and left me behind like yesterday’s trash and my father… he’s a story that shouldn’t be told. The only people I can really rely on are my dog Goober, my boyfriend Sam, my best friends Cassandra and Emma and Emma’s mom, Olivia. Today was going to be good, I was twenty-one, and today was going to be the start for a promising future. I can just tell. It has to be.

I quickly took a shower and dressed into my underwear, shorts and a white lace camisole. The shorts came to right above mid-thigh and the camisole showed just a little cleavage. I looked in the mirror and blow dried my hair. My hair was dark brown with large bleach blonde highlights. It came down to my elbow and had long curls in it. I put on some eyeliner and mascara. I didn’t really need to add mascara because my eyelashes were thick and long. I was constantly asked if they were real or fake. I put on some light grey eye shadow. My bright sky blue eyes seemed to pop when I wore make-up. I finished getting ready and walked out.

“Seriously, you look like a model. I know you never agree but you do.” I rolled my eyes at Emma. “Anyways you ready?” I nodded and whistled.

“Goober!” I yelled out and it was silent. Then thumping filled the air. Goober was my huge Great Dane. The famous dog Marmaduke and Goober look identical but Goober is just a little bit bigger. He ran over to me and sat down. “You ready Goober?” He wagged his tail in response.

A year ago, I was babysitting Emma’s younger sister and I decided to take her to PetSmart. Well I saw Goober as a puppy and had to adopt him. She named him that and despite the name, he is extremely intelligent. “Alright go get in the car.” He ran off and we watched as he pulled the car handle with his teeth, pulling the door back until there was enough space to get in and then he got in. Luckily the apartment allows dogs and I’m able to keep Goober. She got in her Audi that she just bought yesterday and I got in the U-Haul. We drove to the Meyer campus which only took fifteen minutes. On the Meyer campus, there were dorms for the standard students and then there were apartment/condos for the students who got accepted with the Meyer grant. She parked in the parking lot at the front. I parked in the spot next to her.

“Where’s your boyfriend?” she smiled and I leaned against her car. She didn’t really care for Sam much but she always tried to be nice for me.

“Uhm he should be here shortly. You know how he is, has to be just a few minutes late to everything.” I smiled and she nodded towards his black Prius driving up. He pulled up to the space next to the U-Haul. I smiled as he got out and I turned towards Emma. She had her eyes narrowed on the car. On the other side of the car, Cassandra got out. “Cassandra! I’m so glad you can make it. I didn’t know you needed a ride, I would have gotten you one.”

“Seems like she got a ride, probably got several last night” Emma said under her breath and I turned towards her.

“Of course I would have made it! You’re my best friend!” she ran towards me and gave me a bear hug. Sam came over slowly and gave me a small hug and kissed me on the forehead. He was acting distant today and I bit my lip a little worried. “Emma!” she squealed and Emma grimaced at her. They weren’t best friends but they were good friends. Everyone was acting different towards each other… There was tension in the air but I couldn’t figure out what was causing it. I rolled down the windows and unlocked the U-Haul.

Everyone grabbed some boxes and after I relocked the U-Haul, we headed inside. We walked towards the elevator and got in when the doors opened. The apartment building was like a fancy hotel; there was gold and marble everywhere. I pressed the 9 button and it took us up. We took a left and a few doors down was my apartment. “Apartment 9C” I said as we arrived at the door. I immediately unlocked it. I couldn’t stand to wait any longer. The first thing you saw was the living room. To our right was the kitchen. The living room had a couch, love seat, recliner and hardwood floors. All the furniture in the room was either a pearl or light brown color. On the left side of the living room was a fireplace. The back wall was made completely out of glass, and this was windows for the view outside. There was a deck right outside the living room, that was bigger than most of Emma’s apartment.  The kitchen had grey marble countertops, with cherry cabinets and counters, and bright white tiles. All the electronics were made out of stainless steel and it seemed like everything was brand new. Not to mention all the electronics were huge.

I looked for the bedrooms, and the first one I saw I knew instantly that this was going to be my room. I smiled at the sight. There was a king sized bed with beautiful white satin bed sheets. The walls were a blue color and the carpet was an off white color. Everyone dropped my boxes in relief when we arrived at my room. We walked around the apartment some more, finding an office with two desks, and large chairs. We found a dining room with a table for four with fancy dining chairs and another living room. There was only one bathroom. I wondered if my roommate was going to be a slob and the idea of sharing a bathroom with a slob made me cringe.

Pushing those thoughts out my head, we continued to bring in the rest of my boxes. Last, was Goober; Sam put him in the bedroom and closed the door behind him. Finally when all of my boxes were in my room, we began to relax on the couches in the living room.

“Hey, Zoey, can we talk” Sam whispered and Emma immediately looked at me. She gave me a weird look and we walked over to the kitchen. “Zoey, there’s something we need to talk about.”

The door began to unlock and slowly the doorknob turned. “Can it wait; I want to meet my new roommate.” He shook his head in response.

“No, we need to talk now.” He was looking at the floor when he said this. I heard a giant thump and I turned to see a guy holding a box against the door, which hit the wall, walking through.

“Hey, I’m Chris. Looks like I’m rooming with you dude” he said to Sam. No this has to be a mistake.

“No, Sam’s my boyfriend. Clearly there’s a mistake.” I eyed Chris from head to toe. He had messy hair that needed a haircut badly. It was medium length and needed a brush. He had his hat on backwards. He had a red and white flannel button long sleeved shirt over a white tank top and faded jeans. He had dirty black sneakers on. He was somewhat built, had a 5 o’clock shadow and a sun kissed tan. He narrowed his eyes at me but continued towards where a room was. I looked around the hallway and there was the apartment supervisor walking the halls now.

“Ms! Excuse me!” I called out and ran towards her. She was blonde, petite, and holding a clipboard. She raised an eyebrow at me. “Hi, I was accidentally roomed with a male, clearly there’s a mistake.” She walked me back to my room and I pointed at my roommate. She walked over and checked his I.D.

“Frankly, we don’t have any rules, guidelines about male and female rooming in together since you’re a Wilson grant student. Or just a student, over eighteen. You’re a grown adult, this is college, get over it. So you’re going to suck it up, deal with the roommate you clearly hate, because there are no rules in this state, or at this school that say that living with a male is bad. No trades, no exceptions, no objections. Have a great day” she giggled and walked off.

I groaned and glared at my roommate. All he did was smile in return. “Zoey…”

“What? What is it Sam!” I snapped.

“I’m just going to say it and not sugarcoat it. It’ll be like ripping off a Band-Aid. I think we should date other people. You and I aren’t working anymore. I’m already dating someone else." I froze, this could not be happening.

“I’m sorry you had to find out about this, this way Zoey” Cassandra frowned as she looked at me. That’s when I noticed her unusually messy hair, the hickies that were everywhere, the way her clothes were put on, they looked rushed. Now I see.

“My best friend?” I felt like this was a bad joke, a horrible nightmare.

“I’m so sorry. I still want to be friends.” Sam said and tried to hug me. I just pushed him away.

“Just get out.” I didn’t have the strength to argue. I felt like I was just hit by a truck, my insides were mush, my chest was tight. Every breath was difficult.

“Zoey” Cassandra started.

“Get out!” I screamed at the top of my lungs.

“Wow, Zoey, the least you could have said was thank you for moving your stuff.” Before I had a chance to lunge at her, Emma’s arm was around my waist holding me back. The couple ran out the room slamming it behind them. As though I was the bad guy in this. After a few seconds I stopped trying to fight to get out her grasp and instead just started bawling. It was slow at first, a few tears, and then it turned to endless tears rushing down my face. I slid down to the ground and held my knees to my chest, just sobbing.

“Come on, let’s go to your room” Emma said and I grabbed her outstretched hand getting up. I looked down the entire time as Emma held me.

“Dude, that just has to suck” my roommate said. I couldn’t even look up as I walked by, I felt like my heart was just ripped out of my chest for the world to see. I crawled on the bed and sank under the covers. She got on the bed next to me and rubbed my arm.

“I saw it when I saw Cassandra getting out of the car.” Emma said as she looked at me. I said nothing but slowly stopped sobbing. I think Goober saw it too. Today he kept trying to bite Cassandra and Sam. He’s never done that until today. I smiled a little at that thought.

“You know there are only two good men in this world not including Goober” she said with a smile on her face. I licked my dry lips and yawned. “Ben and Jerry, we need some medication… Ice cream is the best kind.”

“But I’ll get fat” I knew I was skinny, Emma said I had a model’s body, but I liked to say I’ll get fat just to tease her.

“But you’ll be happy. You’ll be happy and fat!” she exclaimed and I started to laugh. I changed into a sweater and jeans. I pulled my hair into a ponytail. We walked outside and he looked up from the couch at me.

“I’m Chris” he walked from the couch to me and stuck out his hand.

“I’m Zoey” I shook his hand reluctantly.

“Hey did you bring any beers, I’m thirsty” he said as he walked off. I watched as he headed to the kitchen his hand scratching the crotch area of his jeans. Emma saw it too and we raised our eyebrows at the sight. “What?” he asked as he saw our expressions. We rolled our eyes and headed to the door. “Oh you saw me scratching myself. Hey, if I got an itch, I’m going to scratch it. You’ll get used to it roommate” he laughed as I groaned. “Wait, Zoey right?” he called out and I stopped. He walked towards me. “You got a little something right here” and he wiped my face with his crotch scratching hand. “Enjoy” he smiled and I rubbed my face. We walked out and I slammed the door shut behind me.

Emma looked over at me when we got on the elevator. “What?” I sneered.

“He seemed nice.”



© 2011 nicnatnoodles


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

86 Views
Added on July 26, 2011
Last Updated on July 26, 2011