Hunt

Hunt

A Chapter by naive
"

Certain things catch your eye, But pursue only those that capture your heart.

"

His eyes were like night: still, penetrating, and inky black. The ocher war paint was smeared across his distinct cheekbones and forehead with brusque, uneven strokes. Stray smudges marked his chin, indicating where his face was held while the ocher was applied. Its crimson pigment contrasted sharply with the glow of the moon on his unusually pale skin.

 

An elaborate feathered headdress, or warbonnet, outlined his face, marking him as a man and prepared for battle. A loose feather tickled his right brow yet he did not move to brush the nuisance away. His gaze was focused on the target, calculating and precise.

 

His bow arm tensed when his victim shifted, stirring the leaves at its feet with a crackling crunch. After years of rigorous training, he moved with a feral grace that outshone that of a wild cat. Swift, noiseless, and deadly.

 

Quickly, he pulled the arrow against the taut bow string and honed in on his unsuspecting quarry: a youthful wasicun winyan, or white woman, with distinct curling locks and bright eyes. She breathed in painfully and turned, too late, towards her killer, locking eyes with him for a brief moment before the arrow was released.



© 2012 naive


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was so suspenseful! I loved the detail you captured of his eyes and the process of applying the war paint. I can't wait to see where this all goes!

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

181 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 24, 2012
Last Updated on September 24, 2012
Tags: historical fiction, paint, arrow


Author

naive
naive

misfit from, the north pole



About
it is never too late to be what you might have been. breakdowns can create breakthroughs. things fall apart so things can fall together. more..

Writing
Arrival Arrival

A Chapter by naive


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by naive