Knees and Elbows

Knees and Elbows

A Poem by nadia dmitri
"

It feels like I know everything that is going to happen now

"

You know how people who have had brushes with death say that their life flashed before their eyes? I guess I don’t know if they actually say that, but it's something I’ve heard.


Sometimes I wonder if that is happening to me right now, and constantly. 


Sometimes it will flicker and move like lightning. Like a varicose vein forging a path for me to follow. Sometimes it's so agonizingly slow, like a locked jaw full of honey.


I used to get very excited for things, and subsequently very disappointed by things. When I was younger and my mom would be driving me to something and as we’d pull up it was like I could feel an electric surge in my knees and elbows. I would nag her to stop and let me out. It was like something took control of me, like I was on fire and getting out of the car was like diving into a swimming pool.


I miss that eagerness to live. It feels like I know everything that is going to happen now. I know I don’t, but that doesn’t make it feel any less real. 


I used to go out. Not to do anything really. Wouldn’t drink or commit crimes or kiss strangers. I’d sit with these secluded friends in someone's basement and watch a movie. That was it, every single night. I’d sit and soak in the inaction like a tired mouse in a trap. 


And then I’d drive home in a suicidal haze, praying to whoever I was idolizing that month to fix me. 


Now I stay in. I clean my room over and over and over and over. And make some money and spend some money. And plan a future I will be forced to call my own. I wear dress pants and a tension headache to work, and ask WebMD what's wrong with me every lunch break. 


Things can be better than this, right? I want to live. Like the movies about regular people or the second-hand stories I hear. I want to feel that eagerness in my knees and elbows again. I don’t want enthusiasm to be the precursor to disappointment. I am so afraid that when I die nothing will flash for me. I am so afraid of living a life that I won’t mind leaving behind. It doesn’t need to be remarkable, or lavish, or long, or adventurous. Things don’t need to be perfect, I just want them to be good. 


© 2024 nadia dmitri


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nadia,
I've been reading a lot of articles about the nature of consciousness, and it is a mysterious thing. The speaker in this poem I think, is closely related to the one in my own head... always looking for details in the background, the secrete ingredients of any given moment... things like 'electric knees and elbows' need a poet's insight to assess their value, inject their reader with a vaccine against missing life, 'stay in."
Tell you what, without knowing anything of your circumstances, much less if this is a philosophical exercise or autobiographical, but if you can, plant a small tree where you can watch it grow. It makes a good anchor,
Vol

Posted 2 Weeks Ago


Well, who says that it is not "good" now?

Posted 2 Weeks Ago


Your feelings and emotions are filled in this writing. Nicely written.

Posted 1 Month Ago


nadia dmitri

1 Month Ago

Thank you very much :)
I especially like the "not kiss strangers" part and the last verse.
I have had a near death experience and have seen my life flash before me...it was so fast and yet seemed to be in slow motion...very strange indeed.
Yes we always want to go back to that excitement we once felt, if we were lucky enough.
Recapture that vigor that followed us in our youth...I think it is possible.
j.

Posted 1 Month Ago


nadia dmitri

1 Month Ago

Thats so interesting to hear, I was not sure how common it actually was or if it was more of a media.. read more
Thirty views and nobody understood the reasoning behind your words!!? Comes and goes time when life is just hanging by without reason, wondering, wandering and wasting time. You have said it so well, ' I am so afraid of living a life that I won’t mind leaving behind. It doesn’t need to be remarkable, or lavish, or long, or adventurous. Things don’t need to be perfect, I just want them to be good. '

So right, nadia. Life is being just that here to have and hold rather like wedded bliss: alive, an advantage not a load of nothing; waste not, want not and all those quotes! There's a glorious smile here in spite of the slightly pessimistic start. You speak and should be heard: right now and - enjoyed! Finely put words, even better future. NB - Right now!.

Posted 1 Month Ago


nadia dmitri

1 Month Ago

Thank you always for your very thoughtful reviews, Emma. I agree there is a sense of positivity in t.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

81 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 17, 2024
Last Updated on August 17, 2024
Tags: poetry, metaphor, symbolism, allegory, free verse


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Slant Slant

A Poem by Ayvid N