Cacti

Cacti

A Poem by nadia dmitri
"

My body still mimics this like a phantom limb

"
I am still grieving you, still talking to your ghost.

Oh, the cacti I would squeeze for you.

Every vein of devotion I spilled.

I remember how conflicting it felt to love you. 

Like licking a knife, or gardening in a thunder storm. 

I remember how the dissonance prickled in my body. 

How it sat like a stone in my diaphragm. 

My body still mimics this like a phantom limb.

I still feel you watching me, sitting in the passenger seat, or sinking into the couch.

How long must this funeral last? How many eulogies must I write?

I am tweezing thorns out of my palm everyday

And each time I think of you, it is like I am grabbing that cactus again.

Like I am right back where I started.

© 2024 nadia dmitri


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

An insane and true writng.

Posted 3 Weeks Ago


nadia dmitri

3 Weeks Ago

Thank you!
A very visual write filled with longing and expressed in both excellent depiction and allegory. The end of a relationship is exactly the same as a death because one begins a path of grief which they must walk alone until they reach a place of forgiveness which makes the dark disappear and the sun shine in their life once again. It is not an easy road to travel, but our strength grows stronger with each step we take and healing replaces the sadness. "And each time I think of you, it is like I am grabbing that cactus again". This is my favourite line! It speaks volumes about the poetesses feelings, how difficult it is to think of her once so loved one now. A superbly penned and expressed poem. Thank you for sharing, Nadia...


Posted 1 Month Ago


nadia dmitri

1 Month Ago

Thank for such a thoughtful review, Marie. I appreciate your analysis and encouragement very much. :.. read more
Marie

1 Month Ago

Most welcome, Nadia...
Wow! Beautiful and powerful. Identifiable and full of vivid images and metaphor. In greater or lessor degree most can identify with this dichotomy of feelings about another. Sometimes only annoyance and at others true love hate. How difficult it is to let go of a hot pan that contains one's meal. A most wonderful write.

Posted 1 Month Ago


nadia dmitri

1 Month Ago

Precisely, Soren. Love the 2nd last sentence of your review, that is a poem in itself. Thank you alw.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

97 Views
3 Reviews
Added on August 5, 2024
Last Updated on August 5, 2024
Tags: poetry, metaphor, symbolism, allegory, free verse