Chained By Choice

Chained By Choice

A Poem by Dunlack

Once upon a time shackled and chained. A typical lifestyle of the cocoa colored race. For them, living was just as bitter as the taste of their complexion. Forcing them to make an oath under the lord himself "If you free our race from these chains, we will conduct ourselves as free men and women, not as animals." Centuries later we make it our priority to decorate ourselves in fine jewels and diamonds. Particularly around our necks, nicknaming them "Chains". A name that would have Harriet Tubman tossing and turning in her grave. 


The cost of these chains "Diamond In Crescent" travels much deeper than the prices we pay out of our pockets. Deeper than the midnight trail that was drawn up not by "Crayola's", but illiterate minds whom were driven by the possibility of freedom. Have today's generation completely ripped out the pages of a well written conclusion? Yes these modern day chains have replaced that old rusted steel those nappy headed n***a's once knew...they may even sparkle and shine...but just remember the devil wears "Prada". Our ancestors could feel the pain running throughout their minds, bodies, and souls. Giving them the indication that it was time for a change.

 

Our chains today break us down piece by piece without warning. Resulting in our numbness to the internal damage we're suffering from. Ladies and Gentleman we must go beyond what appeals to our desire and understand the foundation that our father "John" or mother "Betty" has laid before us. Those individuals were entrapped in chains against their will. Today we're chained by choice.

© 2013 Dunlack


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Appreciate that Kenneth

Posted 13 Years Ago


Sweet piece of work.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

280 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 20, 2011
Last Updated on January 12, 2013

Author

Dunlack
Dunlack

Chicago, IL



About
I'm a young writer from the city of Charlotte, NC with the ambitions of being known world wide for my work. I'm a Graduate of Gardner-Webb University, and will be furthering my education at DePaul Uni.. more..

Writing
New Amsterdam New Amsterdam

A Story by Dunlack