Childhood Influence and Fear

Childhood Influence and Fear

A Story by M Lamont
"

I have decided for this duel topic prompt, Childhood Influence and Fear, to combine them in one story.

"

 

The Bay Bridge in Maryland spans 4.3 across the Chesapeake Bay. The bridge’s two-lane original span was the world’s longest continuous over-water steel structure when it opened to traffic at 6 p.m. on July 30, 1952. Construction of the bridge’s $148-million second span began in 1969 and was completed on June 28, 1973.   If you live west of the bay, the bridge is one of the few ways to cross to reach the Eastern Shore and finally, the Atlantic Ocean.
Growing up in Baltimore, MD my family would vacation in Ocean City, MD every summer. Having been born in 1967, the Bay Bridge has always been our traveling route and as an excited child, was a milestone during the 3 hour drive to reach the beach.
Fear
I vividly remember the summer of 1971. I was four years old and was looking forward to getting to the beach. Back then, to beat the “beach traffic”, we would leave about 5am. I would never really fall back asleep since I was too excited to get to the beach. As we approached the bridge, I noticed something off to the side of the bridge but could not make out what it was. There were these large structures jutting out of the water next to the bridge. As we started crossing the bridge, I looked out the window and could see what was an identical bridge to the one we were driving on. Fascinated, I continued to look over as we moved along until, to my horror, the twin bridge just stopped. Nothing. The bridge just stopped. Suspended in mid-air. It blew my mind and the first thing I though was “What if our bridge just ended like that one?” This is my first recollection of fear. I came without warning or explanation and I did not know what to do with it. So I proceeded to scream. Loud and uncontrollable. (The picture posted gives you an idea of what I saw. This is the Bay Bridge during that time.)
Childhood Influence
During this very dramatic scene, my Dad was the rock solid foundation that calmed me. He was driving the car and continued to reassure me that our bridge was OK and that he would not drive on an unfinished bridge. It was from that point on that I looked to my Dad as the person who had the answers. The one who could make it right. Just by him being there, all was right with the world. Today, at 41, I have driven over that bridge hundreds of times and just love it. The view, the feeling that 1/3 of my drive is over in getting to the beach, it now brings back some great memories. I know people who say they hate the bridge and other who are afraid of it. I wish I could put them in car with my Dad because he’d help them get past those issues.
 
 

© 2008 M Lamont


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Glad I clicked in and found this Mark! I love that you are writing in story format. BIG SMILE! kudos!!! I think you could go right into it without the bridge construction and cost, could delete first paragraph. The story seems more about your emotions and experience and I'm let in where you begin with, "growing up in..." : ) Look forward to more in this style! -:3 )!!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Glad I clicked in and found this Mark! I love that you are writing in story format. BIG SMILE! kudos!!! I think you could go right into it without the bridge construction and cost, could delete first paragraph. The story seems more about your emotions and experience and I'm let in where you begin with, "growing up in..." : ) Look forward to more in this style! -:3 )!!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

awwwwwwww. I love this! What a fabulous story! So glad Dad was there to reassure you of your safety. This is quite the opposite of another piece I just read.. where Dad was absent. Nice change of pace for me today! Also..... this bridge has a place in my childhood as well. We were avid campers when we were kids.... 5 kids to be exact. I guess camping was the cheapest way to vacation. Anyway... on occassion we'd go south for trips. My mum had such a fear of that bridge! She'd map out a route to go around it so we wouldn't have to travel via that bridge. Then... as we were driving along... she'd realize my father did NOT take the long way.... and me poor mum had to suffer through the whole length of it!!! Perhaps he was walking her through her fear, perhaps showing her there was nothing to fear, perhaps he was just saving time and gas, lol, I'll never know. But I will never forget the sounds coming out of my mum's mouth when she discovered our destiny featured.... that bridge!!!!
Thanks for the memories.... and how cool that we both have that bridge in common!! Although... in different fear-related ways!!! Excellent submission, thanks so much for sharing!!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

300 Views
2 Reviews
Added on September 8, 2008

Author

M Lamont
M Lamont

Alexandria, VA



About
I got back into in the fall of 2006 after a friend urged me to do so. She is a musician and I was inspired by her lyrics. Thanks Little Mouse!!! My inspiration comes from friend�s stori.. more..

Writing
Becoming Me Becoming Me

A Poem by M Lamont


Now Us Now Us

A Poem by M Lamont