A Guest in the Jail (Day V)

A Guest in the Jail (Day V)

A Chapter by Kay Beaver
"

Carpe Diem...

"

A GUEST IN THE JAIL

 

DAY V

 

Carpe Diem…  

 

           

         That was the hardest and the worst night of their lives. Guards came into their ward after hearing their screams. Walter was lying on the bloody ground. One of the guards checked Walter’s impulse and shook his head in despair…

         “Tell me he is okay… He is alive right? Tell me the truth!”

Jasper grabbed his friend Martin and tried to comfort him.

         “Look at me buddy, look at me! We need to face the truth. I know it is too hard to admit, but our friend is not with us anymore…”

         “No! No, Jasper no… It is not true! It is impossible! Walter can’t give up. He is the last person that can give up. How can he do this to himself? How can he do this to us?”

         Jasper hugged him tighter.

         “Our friend is in a better place. I know it. Nowhere can be the worse than this world. I am sure he is with her mother and they are happier…”

         “Do you believe in your own said?”

         “I want to believe in…”

         One of the guards brought a stretcher. They put Walter’s dead body on it and they took him outside.      

         “Let us see our friend’s face one last time. Please bring him back. At least tell us what will you do with him? Hey wait…”

         Jasper’s voice was rebounding through the corridors as guards shut the door on his face. That was over. Walter was gone. Walter has never stopped struggling and he kept on hoping through all of these years, but now… He just gave up. Jasper got back his place in front of the little window of the room and said nothing for the whole night. He just stared at the moon intently and expressed his friend’s condolence. They were at the beginning of the big mystery again that they tried to solve together. It was about the life. Is it worth living? Doesn’t matter inside or outside of that jail’s walls, will they really get their freedom back? Actually have they ever been free? After those silence and melancholic hours the risen sun shine filled their room and the door opened all of a sudden.

         “Oh guard… What did you do to Walter? Did you burry him? Will it be a funeral? Walter doesn’t have any parents or friends except us so we need to organize his funeral…”

         “Walter is not your business anymore Martin… Here is your new friend. Let’s meet him. Have a nice day…”

         His new friend came into the room. He was the only person in that jail that looks like a real child in that jail for children. He was pretty short and weak. He must be maximum 13 or 14 years old. He was blonde; his golden yellow forelock was shadowing his eyes. The only thing that can be gotten from his smooth face was innocence… Martin was wondering what kind of crime that little boy could have committed.

         “How dare! Did you see what has he done Jasper? Maybe Walter’s body hasn’t cooled yet, but they bring us a new friend hah?”

         “We had a tough night Martin. Would you mind staying silent?” answered Jasper.

         Their new friend looked at them. Apparently no one in the room wanted to meet him. But though he wanted to take a shot.

         “I am Aiden, if you are interested?”

         “Shut the f**k your mouth up!” Jasper and Martin said together.

         Aiden observed the room for a while, looked at Walter’s bed. Actually it was his bed anymore.

         “Someone died here last night.” said Aiden.

         “Congratufuckinglations Einstein… I am sure it was so hard to guess after listening all of our talks, wasn’t it?”

         “No, Jasper. I just heard some whispers from that bloody pigeon…” signed Walter’s pigeon that he made for his mother.

         “What the hell are you talking about?”

         “His soul… I can feel it. His soul is bounded to that pigeon. I can hear him… He whispers something. He wants to talk to you.”

         “Watch your tongue you freak! You don’t have any right about kidding our condolences… Walter is dead, he can’t whisper anything. If you don’t want to be like him, you better keep your mouth shut or claim to change your room.”

         “Neither you nor Martin believe in me. I can understand it. If I provide you guys a last meeting with Walter, would you believe in me?”

         Jasper pissed off.

         “Now you are too much! What are you? A goddamn psychic?”

         “It is up to you how to call me. Now Walter wants to talk to you, if you don’t mind…”

         Aiden took that bloody pigeon and closed his eyes. Raised his head and tried to concentrate. Martin started to get angry at him.

         “Jasper is right. The game hour is over. Now put our friend’s pigeon down…”

         “Martin… Is that you? Can you hear me? I don’t have so much time!”

         Jasper and Martin were shocked. It was Walter’s voice. The voice was coming from Aiden’s mouth. That was no possibility that he was just imitating Walter’s voice. Walter didn’t have any friend so Aiden couldn’t have known his voice.

         “Martin you will have a beautiful life. Just a few days to your freedom… There will be loads of stars in your sky. There is no reason for you to lose your hope. And my dear friend Jasper… You will be free one day. You won’t be missed anything. Don’t give up like me. Don’t give up your dreams. If I had another choice, I would go on… Now I am telling all of you; live your own life, live the moment… Life is a treasure! Carpe diem…”

         Aiden opened his eyes back and the speech has ended.

         “Now you believe in me?” asked Aiden sarcastically.

         Jasper and Martin were so unsure. Walter was their friend that has the biggest hope among them, but he gave up. Despite his surrender, he comes back and tells them to go on… Was that the only answer all of their questions? Carpe diem… Finally, Jasper pulled himself together enough to talk to him.

         “Aiden… I don’t know what you are and what your purpose is in here, but all we want is just the time that you should leave.”

         “Well… Look at you! My dear Jasper… An anarchic, atheist, disowned boy of a catholic father. You lost your girlfriend. You miss her, but can’t admit it. You don’t believe in souls, destiny or love anymore… You don’t need to be such a pessimist guy. There is still a beautiful life that waits for you. Just go on! Carpe diem, like Walter told you!”

         “That’s enough. You can pretend like talking to ghosts or read my mind by some kind of tricks, but that’s all! No one, even you can’t see the future!”

         Aiden sighed and seemed so bored.

         “Seeing is believing for your kind of people all the time right? You need a proof and you will take your proof…”

         Aiden touched Jasper’s forehead with his two fingers, he made an eye contact with him and smiled…

         “Welcome to your future Jasper…”

 

***

        

         Jasper heard the bell and looked at the door. It was just another customer. According to his suit with his bag and new trend messy short hair on his head, which Jasper hates most, he must be a high school student. When Jasper looked at him, he really missed early 90’s and his old long hair… He hated recent years fashion as soon as he got out of prison by using the benefit of amnesty. He tried to keep his retro style as long as it’s possible. But his long hair failed on his path. He just wanted to give his costumer what he wants and continue to play his guitar.

         “Welcome sir, how can I help you?”

         “Oh hey man! Do you guy have the new album of Justin Bieber?”

         Now Jasper heard the last person’s name he wanted to hear.

         “Oh baby, baby, baby oh… I am sorry, but we don’t sell douchebag’s louds babe. We sell only real musician’s albums that appreciate rock’n roll. You are in a wrong place.”

         “Meh! What the hell are you talking about man, how do you dare to insult him. You can’t expect we modern youth to listen to garbage like Queen, Pearl Jam or what was it oh Kansas...”

         “If you don’t want to listen to our garbage and if you don’t want me to strip the skin from your head in order to get rid of seeing your f*****g teenager hair, you should get your a*s out of my shop.”

         Jasper tried to keep calm after that teenager scum leaves. He couldn’t have believed what he has seen. He really missed the old years when the world was a valuable place, people were listening to real music, and friends were having dinner together instead of stalking each other on social media. When the love was real love… He looked at one of the posters on the wall. The White Pigeon… He looked himself on the right side of the poster. He was holding his guitar like a kind of god… Once he started to play his guitar with his band, he was forgetting everything about the world. Just the soul of music, unique magic of rhythm and fascinating solos he plays… He used to sense the enthusiasm of the audience during his show. But that night was utterly different… It was a concert that changed the rest of his life…

         The White Pigeon was on the last leg of their world tour. The end of the night was getting closer. They played love songs, separation songs, freedom songs… Now the enthusiasm of both audience and band was at the peak point. Singer had finished his lyrics, now it was Jasper’s turn. It was the guitar solo time. One last awesome solo of the night and the world tour… It had to be a masterpiece. He held his breath and attempted his guitar. His fingers were dancing on the guitar’s board. Guitar’s strings were struggling to stay in one piece. The entire world needed to hear that god’s song by Jasper… He used to forget everything about the past and all issues of life, but it was totally different… He remembered everything during his performance. Your mother is ashamed of you. Maybe you can’t believe, but she watches us from the sky and whenever she looks at you, she only begged the God for your escape. Escape from the hands of demons… His father’s words that came to his mind made Jasper play his guitar harsher. If there was something that hurts Jasper more than his father, it was definitely his love’s, Alaska’s, words… I love you Jasper… Whatever happens I will always be with you… Wait me here this midnight. I will be there... The rare happy memories of Jasper’s were not coming to him happy and meaningful like before anymore. They were totally fake words and memories like the love’s itself. Jasper, the anarchic and dishonor of our town is accused of murdering and kidnapping. All of the evidences are against him. There is no reason to keep that demon free among us! Mayor, father of Alaska, was right! He is anarchic, dishonor and rebel. He got no soul, no mercy… But though, he was pleased to live in the life he lives on. He was never ashamed of the way he was and he would never be. Being a rebel is much better than being a fake, an educated dog, a grasping monkey, a modern slave… He would never be like them. He gave himself a promise; whenever he turns on one of them, he will end up in the same end with his friend Walter. Jasper got carried away, he forgot which song they were playing, and he was just unburdening himself on the board of his guitar. According to the enthusiasm of the audience; the reflection of his painful life sounded like the best guitar solo ever on the universe. Jasper was going to finish his show, his fingers were deformed, he was struggling to stand on his feet because of the alcohol and he got a terrible headache that feels him like something inside were trying to blow his brain. However, there was a last memory he buried the deepest spot in his mind. Stay with me, let’s just breathe… His young friend Martin was holding Walter tightly, the white pigeon Walter made slipped through his fingers. Walter stopped breathing; the ground was covered by his blood. Jasper’s fingers on the guitar’s strings started to bleed, like Walter’s wrist… Guitar’s string started to break one by one, the entire guitar and Jasper’s hand were totally in the blood, but he didn’t care… He wasn’t feeling his hands anymore, they were moving independently and they were like taking the revenge of Jasper’s painful life from the innocent half destroyed guitar. Finally his body couldn’t have stood all of them and fell to the ground. His guitar has completely broken into pieces because of the crash. It was the end of that legendary solo and the concert. Jasper tried to get up by taking support from his injured hands, but as soon as he touched the ground he collapsed again because of the pain of his fingers. He was crawling in front of thousands of people like his entire life, but the difference was this time the people that looking at him were not loathing him, they were worshipping him. His friends from the band helped him to get up. As soon as he raised his head, he caught a girl’s eyes that were once looking at him with the biggest love of the world. He couldn’t believe in his eyes. The girl looking at him among the audience couldn’t have been Alaska! He thought he was full of hate for her since he learned she was getting married with someone else. He was completely free; his only love was Rock’n Roll. He could no longer allow anyone to get into his lonely life. Jasper, who was standing and staring at his love, saw that he was never such wrong ever. He didn’t care about his blowing head or his bleeding hands; he jumped off the stage and ran after his only love… All of his fans tried to catch and touch Jasper, but he didn’t care about any of them. Alaska was running so fast that she got rid of all of the people around her and entered a dark, narrow street. Something, which made Jasper play the greatest song in the world, helped him to catch that the fastest woman in the world… He shouted at her from the entrance of the street.

         “Alaska! You were absent for my entire painful life. I was always longing to seeing you again or hearing anything about you. I always believed in the real love, until your betraying.”

         “I am not married Jasper…”

         “It doesn’t change anything. I am not the same person you once loved. You ruined my former life and now do you dare to ruin the rest?”

         “Can’t I just want to listen to the White Pigeon like anyone else?”

         “So why did you run? Why did you run from your past that you don’t feel anything about? Why you are not married with the guy you were once engaged with. Why did you come to me as the only beautiful thing of my whole life at the middle of the night which brought me my all sad and painful memories to break me down? When we were just children we used to become sunshine of each other at the darkest hours of our days. While I was playing my lost song, I lived my darkest hours again, but you were here with me again just before I break down. Does it mean that you are still loving me?”

         Jasper said his last words lamentingly. His only love was here in order to make him forget the all the things that he convinced himself.

         “It doesn’t change anything Jasper… I ran from my father in order to get rid of getting married with someone else. I left my entire life behind me and wasted my everything in the way of finding you. It is so sad to learn that the man I loved the most is gone. My only love that once fighting against the all world for me is gone. You have a new life Jasper. You are a rock star, you are fame, you are as free as a white pigeon and you don’t want me to be your cage. You don’t want me to ruin your rest of your life.”

         “No… I am not free. I just tricked myself in order to ease the pain of your absence. You can’t ruin the rest of my life as I don’t have one in your absence.”

         “Jasper…”

         Jasper interrupted by pulling her to himself and kissing her lips. Jasper found the love, the life and the freedom in her arms, in her breath and in her eyes that he had never found in being rebel, living in the way of rock’n roll or something else. The questions he wasted himself to find an answer, longing for the freedom, the pain that never leaves him alone since his birth, all of the philosophies he tried to follow and the dark memories of his imprisonment days… They were all gone! He didn’t start to live a new life. He started to live his own life since he reached his love for good.

           Jasper finally took his eyes from staring at that old The White Pigeon poster because of the voice of the most beautiful girl in Jasper’s life. Jasper saw Alaska’s smiling face in front of the shop’s door. She asked him sarcastically.

         “My dear husband, please answer me honestly… Did you just miss your old long hair or your rock star days?”

           

***

 

                    

 

        

                   

 

  

        

 

 



© 2016 Kay Beaver


Author's Note

Kay Beaver
I hope you liked the day that took you from cold jail ward to the stage of the best imaginary rock band... If you wonder what will Aiden see about Martin's future please keep following the story. See you on Day VI. I am eager to read your reviews to write better stories.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

There's so much to say about this chapter. Pardon me if I drone on & on! First, I'm noticing more places where the writing isn't as polished this time (some lines seem awkward or not making full sense) . . . but on the other hand, the storytelling is very much ramped up from the first few chapters I've read. This is definitely more dynamic & interesting & unexpected.

I see you've divided most dialogue into separate paragraphs, which helps comprehension. Yet I also notice some long passages of dialogue, which might not be as realistic as two people would be, when in the throes of passionate discourse (there might be more short back-and-forth with possible interrupting, upon first being together again).

The passage where the guitar-playing is going full bore with bleeding fingers . . . this is spectacular descriptive writing, showing passion & creativity. However, I also see that you get so carried away in the storytelling at this point, you don't do many paragraph breaks, so it seems to be a little bit run-on & on.

These observations are not distracting too much from the overall read . . . all in all, it's a well-written chapter & your storytelling is getting more compelling.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

There's so much to say about this chapter. Pardon me if I drone on & on! First, I'm noticing more places where the writing isn't as polished this time (some lines seem awkward or not making full sense) . . . but on the other hand, the storytelling is very much ramped up from the first few chapters I've read. This is definitely more dynamic & interesting & unexpected.

I see you've divided most dialogue into separate paragraphs, which helps comprehension. Yet I also notice some long passages of dialogue, which might not be as realistic as two people would be, when in the throes of passionate discourse (there might be more short back-and-forth with possible interrupting, upon first being together again).

The passage where the guitar-playing is going full bore with bleeding fingers . . . this is spectacular descriptive writing, showing passion & creativity. However, I also see that you get so carried away in the storytelling at this point, you don't do many paragraph breaks, so it seems to be a little bit run-on & on.

These observations are not distracting too much from the overall read . . . all in all, it's a well-written chapter & your storytelling is getting more compelling.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Interesting in places, a bit spacy in others. Valentine

Posted 7 Years Ago


wow,this chapter is exciting,intense and keeps you reading

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kay Beaver

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much wordman. Sorry for being late it took so much time for day 5 to be released relati.. read more
 wordman

7 Years Ago

there is no time lapse in poetry
I agree a lot with what HeyJade said. Understanding the context was a bit difficult at times. Again with your story, as in the previous parts, I'm made to really think about the lives of inmates. It's easy to think of them as despicable, but each and every one is a person. One with flaws and strengths, family and friends, hopes and regrets.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kay Beaver

7 Years Ago

I am glad you are into backgrounds of inmate... Last two days to finish their stories completely. I .. read more
The format needs a little refinement .I am finding it difficult as a reader to keep up with who is speaking occasionally. Overall i think your characters have a great background to them.Overall I enjoyed the picture you painted !

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kay Beaver

7 Years Ago

Thanks for your review. I am trying to tell this story more clear, but I have a few problems especia.. read more
HeyJadeXO

7 Years Ago

Im happy to try and help if you are unsure just message
Kay Beaver

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much I will keep it in my mind...

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

463 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 19, 2016
Last Updated on December 11, 2016
Tags: Jail, young, hope, love, regret, longing, burning flame, Jasper, Rock'n Roll, anarchy, cage, sky, somebody else, black, pearl jam, rajaz, worth, freedom, breathe, Aiden, future, psychic, white pigeon


Author

Kay Beaver
Kay Beaver

About
Hello everyone... I am the mass of atoms. the stardust, a member of evolutionary tree, a human... I have started writing in order to both improving my English and unburden my soul. I like creati.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Anniversary Anniversary

A Story by Woody