Leaving

Leaving

A Story by mirielm

It was not a long conversation, for minds had already been made up. There was a boat leaving, and he wanted her to come with him.

He stressed there was no time to waste, that he needed to leave as much as he needed her. They could get married he said, when they got there, start a life together; she had never been a risk taker. Her parents begged her not to go, fearing the journey as much as the destination, and instead of following her heart she listened. The boat left on a beautiful day at noon, and she thought to herself how unfit this kind of weather was for what was about to occur. She did not cry, my grandmother, because she thought it would make her appear weak. She did not say very much as the love of her life boarded a boat. She did not say much as he told her he hoped she would join him some day. She did not say anything when he said goodbye.  Perhaps she was angry, perhaps she had felt abandoned, but none of it mattered as the final whistle blew and she was forced to step off of the platform. As the boat became smaller in the distance, she watched, covering it with her finger as it became a speck in the distance. The warm breeze kissed her face, and she marveled at how little the world changes around you when everything seems to be falling apart. She never forgot about him, not for one day, it’s how I know about him at all. There is such a complete sadness; she used to say, when you can pinpoint exactly where your life could have changed, and exactly where you refused to let it.

Read More: 

© 2016 mirielm


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Regrets have a way to come back and haunt us for the rest of our lives......and mostly the worst ones are not what we have done, but what we neglected to do.

It feels as if this has the potential to be an actual short story......give it more meat.....where is he going.....why is she staying.....is it real love?

Great writing!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Regrets have a way to come back and haunt us for the rest of our lives......and mostly the worst ones are not what we have done, but what we neglected to do.

It feels as if this has the potential to be an actual short story......give it more meat.....where is he going.....why is she staying.....is it real love?

Great writing!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
1 Review
Added on January 7, 2016
Last Updated on January 7, 2016

Author

mirielm
mirielm

About
writer by night more..

Writing