Sharing A New World

Sharing A New World

A Story by adamdavidmiller
"

This is an idea for a story.

"

This idea came to me when I was downloading the new Unreal Engine 4, which is a game development software that Epic Games has made free to use. I thought, I now have the same tools as the professionals and with enough time I could learn the software and create exactly what I'm thinking. Turns out, that's a lot easier said than done. I found out my computer isn't powerful enough in the first place to run even the simplest task in UE4. I never got passed adding a grass texture to a block I placed which took five minutes alone to load, compile, and place. 


            I immediately thought of a child on a new world, one like Earth. This is so far into the future it's now been at least a hundred thousand years since today. This child was sent to this new world not as a last resort for mankind to find another habitable planet because we've already accomplished that with Mars, but to answer the still longed for question, "Are we alone in the universe?". On Mars there was still no sign of intelligent life besides the newly colonized humans.


            The child has a robot companion with the intelligence and compassion of a human. The robot is the child's mentor, guide, and friend in the vast empty new world. They were both frozen for thousands of years as they traveled through space to one of two habitable planets selected by the human colony shortly after terraforming Mars. Using all of our resources and best technologies to pursue this dream was a global effort and the first mark of expanding humans throughout the universe.

 

            The first child and robot were sent to an Earth-like planet that orbits a much younger star to ensure the survival of the human race for billions of years. While this child's planet has roughly a million years left before its mother star enters its Red Giant phase and incinerates the planet.  


            The child begins to wonder and think about their existence and purpose. The robot companion informs the child that they are a clone of another child back home. Human cloning was only done under certain circumstances and only few existed.

 

     However, there is another cryonic chamber in the space craft they arrived in. Within it is an adult human who may have answers to these questions and has their own purpose. The chamber is time locked and only opens on a certain date. When it opens the child will be the same age as the adult but of the opposite sex.

  

By that time if no intelligent life has been found their mission is to travel to the Earth-like planet the first child was sent to. They will help populate that planet by nursing the hundreds of human embryos stationed inside their space craft.

If intelligent life is found they are to use their space craft and the cryonic chambers to seal two different sexes if possible and send them back to Mars where the human race will save the life forms from extinction. They must send the human embryos back as well because there is little hope for their planet. Doing so will trap them on the planet serving as a sacrifice for the good of all intelligent life.


Although, in this story the intelligent life they find isn’t so willing to just let the humans send away two of their own kind. The more the two humans investigate the more they find out that these beings have plans of their own and are well aware of their Suns impending death.  


     These beings have selected the same Earth-like planet that the first child was sent to for their own new home and have no intentions of sharing it. Now, the two humans must convince the beings that humans mean no harm and are just as beautiful creatures as they are. They must reach out to their hearts and show them that the two species can create, learn, and live together in the new world. 

© 2015 adamdavidmiller


Author's Note

adamdavidmiller
What do you like about it?
What do you not like about it?
What would you like to see happen in the story?
Where would be a good place to start or end the story?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Don't know if I should keep going?

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

101 Views
1 Review
Added on March 6, 2015
Last Updated on March 6, 2015
Tags: space, human, clone, robot, alien, earth, travel, time, love, mars, planet

Author

adamdavidmiller
adamdavidmiller

Greensboro, NC



About
I'm a 21 year old college student and full-time worker. I live in an apartment 684 miles from home with the most beautiful woman and our dog Minnie. more..