A Complete Guide to Merchant Category Codes

A Complete Guide to Merchant Category Codes

A Story by michael bedwell
"

Merchant Category Codes (MCCs) are four-digit codes used by businesses to identify the type of business they operate.

"

Merchant Category Codes (MCCs) are four-digit codes used by businesses to identify the type of business they operate. MCCs are used by credit card processors to help them accurately route transactions to the appropriate acquiring bank.

Why are Merchant Category Codes important?

There are several reasons why businesses should be aware of their MCCs. The first reason is that your MCC may impact how your business is taxed. For example, if you sell products online and your MCC is classified as a "retailer" rather than a "service provider," you may be subject to different tax rates.

Another reason to be familiar with your MCC is that it may impact your ability to accept credit cards. For example, if you operate a business that is classified as a "hotel" or "restaurant," you may be able to accept American Express cards, but not Visa or Mastercard.

Finally, it's important to be aware of your MCC because it can help you determine your risk profile. For example, if you operate a business that is classified as a "high-risk" merchant, you may be subject to additional fees or greater scrutiny from credit card processors.

What are the most common Merchant Category Codes?

The most common Merchant Category Codes are:

4411 - Restaurants and Bars

4111 - Airline Tickets

4722 - Retail Stores

5311 - Credit Unions and Banks

5411 - Mortgage Lenders and Brokers

5941 - Amateur Sports Clubs, Leagues, and Venues

7222 - Computer and Software Stores

8222 - TV, Radio, and Movie Theaters

9222 - Other amusement and recreation services

9411 - Taxi and Limousine Services

How can I find out my Merchant Category Code?

If you're not sure what your Merchant Category Code is, you can contact your credit card processor or the credit card networks themselves. Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover all have websites where businesses can lookup their MCC.

How can I change my Merchant Category Code?

If you would like to change your Merchant Category Code, you can contact your credit card processor or the credit card networks themselves. Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover all have websites where businesses can request a change to their MCC. However, it's important to note that not all businesses are eligible to change their MCC. For example, if you're a retailer, you may not be able to change your MCC to a "service provider" code.

Why Should Merchants Care About Merchant Category Codes?

Merchant Category Codes are important because they can impact a business's tax liability, ability to accept credit cards, and risk profile. businesses should be aware of their MCC and how it affects them.

Why Should Consumers Care About Merchant Category Codes?

Merchant Category Codes are important because they can impact the types of businesses that accept credit cards. Consumers should be aware of which types of businesses accept which types of credit cards. For example, a consumer may want to use a particular credit card when dining out at a restaurant.

Where Can I Find More Information About Merchant Category Codes?

If you would like more information about Merchant Category Codes, you can contact your credit card processor or the credit card networks themselves. Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover all have websites where businesses can find more information about MCCs.

Merchant Category Codes (MCCs) are four-digit codes used by businesses to identify the type of products or services they offer. MCCs are used by credit card processors to determine a business's risk profile and to assign them an appropriate processing rate.

© 2022 michael bedwell


Author's Note

michael bedwell

If you would like to change your Merchant Category Code, you can contact your credit card processor or the credit card networks themselves. Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover all have websites where businesses can request a change to their MCC.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hey people…. If spam like this, from bottom feeders who clutter the site, like this one, bother you. Have fun, and revenge. Do a Google search on the company name and, “reviews.” Then add a 1 star review of your own, one that says something like:

*******
This company spams websites with poorly written “advertisements” that are unrelated to the site’s mission and clientele. They, obviously, don’t care about the people they annoy. For example, they spam a site like Writer’s Café an spot where writers post their work, with what’s listed as a story, but is, in reality, poorly written spam for this company. Is this really a company you want to deal with, or trust?
*******

Then, before you close the comment, paste in the address of the spam page, so the company will see the spam, and the name of the one dropping it, and know who to blame.

Even better…copy the address at the top of this screen, and send an email to the company being spammed for. Maybe something like:

*******
Someone is spamming for your company on the Writers’ site, WritersCafe.org. They’re doing it poorly, and it’s not a credit or a recommendation for, your company. You might want to look. One of their spams is here:
*******

Then, below that, paste in the address of this page. Maybe even send them a screenshot of the page, including one of this response. That should be a fun read for the company bigwigs.

I REALLY hate spam..really.


Posted 2 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

29 Views
1 Review
Added on April 4, 2022
Last Updated on April 4, 2022
Tags: Merchant Category Codes

Author

michael bedwell
michael bedwell

About
Manoj Bhatt is a professional digital marketer, blogger, and content writer working with leading merchant services provider company Host Merchant Services in the USA. more..

Writing